What's new

NAD 765 vs ARCAM 280 vs Yamaha 1800 (1 Viewer)

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Down to these three receivers... Room is 14x20, speakers are PSB T45 fronts, B25 rears, C-40 Center, 6i Sub. TV is a 42" Panasonic Plasma, source is Panasonic Blu-Ray player. System will be used about 50/50 music/movie but sound is key.

NAD 765 - excellent sound, new swapable card system, HDMI 1.3a, no Dolby TrueHD, audessey roomEQ and setup

ARCAM 280 - excellent sound, older no-frills system, no roomEQ, no Dolby TrueHD, no OSD

Yamaha 1800 - has Dolby TrueHD (is this needed?), YPAO.

I'm leaning towards the NAD but can get a good deal on both the ARCAM and Yamaha...

Thanks in advance for any help/advice in picking a winner. :D

Follow-up question, neither the NAD 765 or ARCAM 280 do audio over HDMI. Is that an issue on a 5.1 system with no plans over ever going 7.1 or 8.1?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
The lack of advanced audio options on the NAD and Arcam would concern me. Everything I've heard is that True-HD and DTS-MA take the sound to new level, I can't see buying a new receiver or processor that can't handle them. However, while I've generally liked Yamaha gear in the past, I'm not a fan of the YPAO system, Audessy is much better, IMO.

I would contact NAD and find out if they will be offering an upgrade to add True-HD and DTS-MA to the 765, at a reasonable price. If not, you might want to check out Onkyo, Sherwood-Newcastle, Marantz or another option.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
This might be coming in a bit late but I guess this might help anyone who is in the same position with a purchase dilemma.

I personally cannot speak for the ARCAM, I do not sell that one. But I do carry Yamaha/Denon/Pioneer Elite, as well as NAD.

To make it short and sweet. Pick the NAD. The T765 as of today (Dec 21, yay winter) does not do process DTHD or DTSMA, but it will in Feb 2009 with an upgrade.

NAD is coming out with new models (updated models), in this case called the T765HD which will cost over $500 more that the T765 but it will have the new audio and video cards.

If you can find one, pick up a T765 cheap somewhere. Lenbrook has been offering the T765 and the T775 on discounts to dealers (quantity buys, so some dealers may have bought in), but you can save a good $6-700 bucks on these models, and in the new year get the upgraded cards for a few hundred bucks.

As well, if you have the opportunity to actually look at and physically pick up the T765, you will realize you are getting something incredible. The sheer weight of the toroidal transformer is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks