1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mystery Wire...Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by karenlrn, Jul 13, 2014.

1. karenlrn

karenlrn New Member

Karen
    [​IMG]Anyone know what the six tiny wires are under the blue wrapping there?
    We bought a house prewired for surround sound. I assume the typical red white black and green in the top right are for the outdoor speakers as all of the speaker wire inside was labeled.
    However, when you actually look outside, both speakers have black and red wires. We were thinking maybe the 6 smaller wires seen in the pic above are to put in a volume control knob by the patio door as there is another end to it behind a faceplate by the door. If that's the case, where to I hook it up to on the receiver.
    I went to Best buy and lowe's and called the Geek Squad but nobody seemed to know what those wires were for. Thanks in advance.

2. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    You would have to know where they are connected on the other ends. My guess is the only one who knows what they were for is the person who wired the house.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John
    Almost looks like an unused CAT5 cable that was run at the same time or some signal wires for a speaker distribution amp for other zones? AWG looks too small for long runs for a typical speaker wire.

As mentioned, nobody is going to "know" what those wires are except the previous owner or installer.