What's new

Myers set for Austin Powers 4 (1 Viewer)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I know this is just your opinion, but did you see the Exorcist parody in Scary Movie 2? That was hilarious and the only funny part to that movie, IMO.
The Exorcist parody in Scary Movie 2 was god awful. The only decent thing about it was James Woods (would've been genius if Marlon Brando was still kept in). I'm just thanking God that the Wayans are not apart of the third film.

I'd like to see another Austin Powers film. While the first two were pretty good, I'll agree with others that the third was mostly lackluster (with the exception of a few jokes here and there and of course, the opening sequence). Hopefully the fourth one will be a step up from Goldmember (and we'll get more original jokes this time).

Adam Brandner

Stunt Coordinator
My friends and I loved 1 and 2, but I hated 3 when we saw it in the theater. The funny thing is that over the next week, we kept quoting lines and bringing up different scenes as "the only other funny thing in the movie" until we realized that we actually did like it.

I do think that they should have stayed away from the Dr. Evil/Austin tie-in entirely, though. If they had cut all of those stupid flashbacks, they could have freed up more time for Micheal Caine, who was awesome in the few minutes he actually had.

Beyonce Knowles was worthless, too. Austin barely had any involvement with her and they could have easily eliminated her character to make room for Micheal Caine, and treat the audience to more father/son interaction between him and Ausin, letting the stale concept of Austin with another leading lady sit on the shelf until AP4. Oh well.

Also, I think the movie might have been better if Dr. Evil had stayed in that prison cell for the entire flick, leaving Goldmember as the main villain. Just a thought.

Though I have a lot of issues with things that I feel could have been better, I have to admit that there was a lot of funny stuff in that movie. I really hate that Caine is barely in the movie, but the most important thing for a comedy is that makes you laugh. At least it accomplishes that... for me at least.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping that the next movie has a bad guy for the title character who is actually the bad guy, unlike Goldmember. They name the movie after him, so you'd figure he'd be important, but nope.

I would love to see Austin go against a female villainess. He has yet to really do that (fembots don't count) and James Bond did it a few times, so it would be fitting. Imagine if the bad girl used Austin's 3 women against him (as fembots, I guess, since Vanessa was a fembot).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Austin Powers 4! You mean Mike Myers STILL hasn't run out of ideas for jokes-that-take-place-behind-a-sheet. Good God!

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
All I know is that Fat Bastard had better get fat again for AP4. Him being thin would not be cool...

"I did the Subway diet like Jaaared!!!"

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
The Vanessa as a fembot explaination was never satisfying for me. I hope they figure out a way to explain that the Vanessa Austin spent time with in the first movie really was human and that she was somehow replaced with the fembot.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The Vanessa as a fembot explaination was never satisfying for me
I thought the "Vanessa was a fembot!" "Yes, we knew all along, Austin" explanation was one of the funniest parts of AP2's opening, though I'm not sure why.

They also never explained what happened to Felicity Shagwell after AP2. They never really do with Bond movies, either, but they could try to relate everything back to what happened to the girls after the movies and have them all be fembots in some master scheme or something. I dunno.

DanHaya

Second Unit
They also never explained what happened to Felicity Shagwell after AP2.
Yeah, I was disappointed about that, too. I was really hoping that she would've ended up being a fembot, as well. If they would've written it right, they could've started another running gag where Austin might lament "all the women I've loved have turned out to be fembots" or something to that effect. I think that would've been really good if done properly.

As for Goldmember overall, I didn't care for it as much as the first two, but it did have its moments. I, personally, didn't like the ending. But, leaving the door open for Scott Evil to take over the empire sounds interesting...I could see some Return of the Jedi references.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I didn't really accept the whole "Vanessa is a fembot thing." As in, I think it's kind of a funny joke they threw in, but doesn't really affect the story seriously. IE, Vanessa's still human, but SOMEHOW she's made out to be a fembot in the next one. Kind of like the time machine sequence in AP2. They basically just fudge over it and tell us to as well.

Adam Brandner

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Vanessa being a fembot was just about the only thing I didn't like about AP2. I would have prefered to just have all of Austin's women disappear between movies without explanation. I, too, am very excited about the prospect of Scott Evil taking over his father's empire, but I really don't want to see any more of the "good" Dr. Evil, so I don't know what to think.

DanHaya, I like your idea about the Star Wars references. They might be able to have an early scene in the movie with Dr. Evil facing Scott as a parody of the Vader/Luke fight in Empire and then another at the end similar to Jedi with Scott bringing Dr. Evil back to the Dark Side. I'm not sure where Austin would fit in to this, unless he is busy with Goldmember or is captured or something.

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how I feel about AP4. Goldmember was very heavy on the gross-out humor.

However, if they bring back Vanessa and Foxy Cleopatra, then I'd be inclined to see it.

I can do without Felicity Shagwell...unless she has a non-speaking role, then I'm good.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hm. I wonder if this will be when I finally give up on the series. The first was a fairly amusing movie, but the second was just awful. The third was better, but I couldn't help but think everyone involved had better things to do.

The thing that gets me is that Austin Powers is really a pretty repugnant character; it's Dr. Evil and his sidekicks that make the movies worth seeing. Once they sucked all the humanity out of the title character, he's just been sucking up time.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I felt that Goldmember was the worst of the series. It seemed like all the politically incorrect stuff was sucked out of it. The thought the British-translation bit at the beginning was hilarious! But no one seemed to be really laughing the the theater when we saw it (a packed crowd). Fat Bastard didn't try to eat Mini me (Baby, the other other white meat! mmmmm..) even once. He seemed relegated to just cheap fart jokes. Now I admit he did plenty of body humor in the last one, but there was some originality in the character that felt drained out.
I liked 1, liked 2 even more, but I felt Goldmember, although funny as hell sometimes, felt a lot more stale, less original, and just plain rehashed. Less good ideas, more repeat-the-same jokes methodology. I liked Austin Powers for being very non-PC, odd sort of Monty-python like humor. Not a $$ movie, which it felt like it drifted toward a little too much.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
DaveGTP, thanks, I knew that there were others out there who liked 2 best of all of them. I really liked that it seemed to have the most, inside jokes or puns from other movies, like Dr. Evil bouncing the globe onto Number Two's head (The Great Santini), stuff like that. Also the best Scott/Dr.Evil interplay, as well as Dr. Evil's song "Just The Two Of Us".

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I think the biggest thing that hurt the franchise was all the product placements. As if the Frau holding a Taco Bell bag up for the camera is important to what's going on. Are they living on the Truman Show?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The little product placement things can be funny because they're so blatant, like the Star Bucks in AP2.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The Starbucks placement was funny because it basically joked about it being an evil empire. I felt 2 had the most original comedy. The hit-#2-with-the-globe bit they talked about on the DVD, I guess it was mostly improv'ed. And who would come up with a character that wants to eat babies? Talk about non politically correct.

Brenton

Screenwriter
The funny thing about Starbucks is that it's not real product placement. According to the audio commentary on the DVD, Starbucks didn't pay them a penny to include them, and as a matter of fact, they didn't even get permission from Starbucks. They just had to cross their fingers to avoid a lawsuit. :laugh:

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yes, but why would they care, more free publicity for Starbucks, (as if they need it).

And DaveTGP, the info you mention, on one of the special features I guess. I think I've only watched the movie and deleted scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks