What's new

My top 5 pet peeves of the moment (1 Viewer)

Jason L.

Second Unit
1. The Phrase "9 to 5"

Can we all agree to either not use this anymore, or at least substitute it with "8 to 5" or "9 to 6"? Unless you are lucky enough to get paid during your lunch hour or are not putting in a full 40 hours - there is no way you are leaving this early. That is if you are lucky enough to get to leave after 40 hours instead of 50, 60, or 70.

TV and Movies have led me to believe that people didnt work nearly as long in the past. I wish I had the Psycho DVD to watch again but I think Janet Leigh worked from 10:30 to 2:45.

2. People who say "J.C. Penneys" and "Barnes & Nobles"

There´s no freaking S at the end! It is J.C. Penney and Barnes & Noble! Get it right.

Minor Peeve: It´s Li-BRA-ry not Li-BA-ry and Fe-BRU-ary not Fe-BU-ary

3. Pretty soon we will have another news story that crops up every couple of years: The post office will raise the price of a stamp by a couple of cents. In said news article there will be people who will complain that it is "ridiculous" and that "it costs too much already". If these whiners can´t afford a few extra cents to mail a letter across the country then they need to stop shooting heroin or cut back on their triple frappachino lattes or pet psychiatrist visits for little Scruffy. Cheapskates.

4. Men who piss all over a public toilet seat/leave pubic hairs on the seat like it is growing a goatee/don´t flush. Here´s a simple law I would like to introduce: If you don´t leave it in proper condition for the next guy - you get the death penalty. Does anyone NOT agree with this?

5. Smokers who can´t get it through their nicotine-ravaged brain that their smoke bothers other people. Just die already, please.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Here's my Five Peeves.

1. Pedestrian Signals that are not synchronised with the Traffic Signals. Very often they will go from "Walk" to "Dont Walk" even though the light is still Green! I once saw an Out of State Motorist watch the Pedestrian Signal while he was waiting at an Intersection. The Signal went from "Walk" to a Flashing "Don't Walk". When it went to a Solid "Don'T Walk" He thought the Signal had changed and bolted out into the Intersection and almost got broadsided by a Delivery Truck! (The Light did not change for another two minutes) What's even worse is that Pedestrians know the lights remain green even though the Pedestrian Signal is "Don't Walk", so they ignore them and walk across. It's only a matter of time before someone will walk across a Street just as the Traffic Signal changes and then...POW!

2. Intersections that have a "No Turn on Red Sign". Very often they will keep you waiting for five minutes or longer, then kiss you off with 15 seconds of green! (Whenever I see these kinds of intersections I'll look for a Gas Station or Bank and turn in there and conduct a Transaction (Purchase One Dollar worth of Gas in the former, do a "Balance Inquiry" for the latter.) Big Oil LOVES Bad Signals!

3. Traffic Signals whose Sensors will not detect a Small Vehicle at an Intersection and let them pass. (I once got stuck at an Intersection for over 20 Minutes, It turned out there were two Motercyclists waiting to make a left-Hand Turn. The Sensor on the light didn't "see" them, so it acted like there was nobody on the road! ( I Instructed them to do a Right Hand Turn, then execute a U Turn to get them on their way. TheY thanked me and did this, after they went on their way the car behind them tripped off the sensor, and within 3 minutes everybody behind them was on their way!

4. Senior Citizens who, while driving think the Screw that mounts a Speed Limit Sign to the Post is a Decimal Point.

5. People who return to their Car on a crowded Parking Lot, but instead of getting in their Car and leaving, the break out their Cell Phone and Yammer away!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
- People who go through red lights. Really is it worth killing someone becuause you cant sit at a red light for a minute and 1/2. I want to batter these people senseless.

- People who decide whats right or wrong based on political parties

- Unruly kids disturbing me when Im trying to enjoy a meal

- People who wander aimlessly. Please decide what youre there for, and get to it instead of standing around wondering what youre doing or how you got to ________(pick a place)

Jason, where are smokers bothering you? You cant smoke indoors in most places inthe US anymore.Are you really complaining about people smoking out in the open air??

WillG

Senior HTF Member
People who call it an "ATM Machine" So it's the "Automated Teller Machine Machine?" Do they enter their "PIN Number" to get money from it?

People who use the word "Ironic" to decribe something that is coincidental or just unfortunate "We have the same birthday, how Ironic"

I'll go with the people who don't immediately vacate their parking space when the lot is crowded. I always called it "Looking at the pictures" (Somebody gets a roll developed and then just sit in the car and looks at them for 10 minutes)

Wanting to leave work at the end of the day but being unable to because you need the boss to review something or sign off on something or whatever, but he/she has dissappeared somewhere.

I'll try to think up some more later.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't want to get into a smoker/non-smoker debate, but not only does smoke bother me, but stale smoke does too. When these people come into my office (since my office is near the front door), after just smoking a cig. - they REAK! It would be just as bad if I took a dump and didn't wipe, then came into your office smelling of crap. :D

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Drivers who wait until the last possible instant, then jam on their brakes when they reach a stop sign where a side street meets a major street. Am I supposed to know them so well and trust their driving so much that I can be certain that they're not about to cream my vehicle and knock me into oncoming traffic?

Left-turning drivers who creep out of gas station driveways 100' or less before a very busy intersection, and into the spaces between the cars waiting for the light. Invariably they get trapped and block two lanes of traffic for a cycle or two. I find it's not too difficult to circle the block or turn right and look for a place to turn around if traffic looks to be that heavy.

Jason L.

Second Unit

I have not been in the USA for a while but it is killing me in Europe. I was at the airport in Munich waiting to pick up my sister. The guy sitting right next to me lit up a cigarette and I wanted to throttle him. I looked and saw that there was a sign that said it was OK to smoke. I could not believe it. It is just so damn gross and inescapable here. Trains, Restaurants, Bars, everywhere. Eastern Europe - forget about it. I know some countries have changed and more of them are getting on the anti-smoking bandwagon, but it is disgusting. If I go to a bar or restaurant I will get a sore throat and a nose full of snot the next morning because my body reacts like it is under attack. Most of the time I have to just get up and leave when someone lights up. Smokers just don´t get this. They think they aren´t bothering everyone. It is a shame when I see all these young little EuroHotties puffing on a cancer stick and know that they will be weathered hags soon enough.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Well I agree you should always try to be considerate towards others. When I smoked I always would walk away from those who didnt when having a cig.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's definitely the main reason why non-smokers hate smokers. When you're doing something that can bother everyone around you, you should be more considerate. Just because you're allowed to smoke, doesn't mean you are allowed to be inconsiderate.

When the bars allowed smoking, and my band would play out, I actually had one guy come over and put his ash tray on top of the amp (in front of me) where the smoke was billowing in my face! :rolleyes:I mean, if you want to know why non-smokers get so angry, you really don't need to look far.

This is similar to the previous post about the screaming kids. Just because you (the parents) are used to screaming kids during dinner, doesn't mean the rest of us are willing to put up with it.

LewB

Screenwriter
Cell phones, cell phones, cell phones, cell phones and cell phones.
From the guy who almost t-boned me in a parking lot because he was on the phone, to the pedestrian walking in the street (you know, where the cars go) while blabbing on the phone, to the person yaking in a restaurant booth while their companion sits there looking out into space, to the guy in the supermarket you think is a whacko because he is talking to himself, until you see the bluetooth earpiece. Yup, cell phones !

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
People who don't use their turn signal. Newsflash!! That little stick on the side of your steering column is there for a reason. It's called a turn signal and you use it to alert other motorists of your intention before reaching an intersection or a driveway.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
My current peeve is hearing the annual woes from the retail industry about sales being "soft" or "disappointing" this holiday season. Just yesterday I saw someone from Mastercard complaining that sales were up "only" 6.6% in comparison to last year's 8.8%. I'd hate to see the reaction when sales are actually down.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of cell phone, I HATE when people are either too slow to answer their cell phone, or they don't realize it's their cell phone that's ringing....you know who you are!?!?!?! :angry: You hear this OBNOXIOUS ringtone and everyone looks around the room like "What's that?" and then after a good 15 seconds (which feels like 15 minutes) some boob goes "Oh! That's my phone!!!"

DUMBASS!

Or like I said before, when someones phone rings and they take their time in picking up the phone, looking at the display to see who it is, then opening the phone and answering it - all the while you are being annoyed beyond belief with their stupid ringtone.

ps. I always carry my cell phone in my pocket and as SOON as it goes off, I push the silence button (from outside my pocket) so that I can then reach in, take out the phone, see who is calling, and then answer the phone while it's been silently ringing. Rarely will my cell phone ring for more than 2 seconds.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
People who cross the street when I'm driving. The thumps are really starting to through off my alignment...

No seriously, my main pet peeve is people who listen to their iPods at too loud a volume. There's nothing worse than taking the subway in each morning and having to listen to heavily distorted baseline and/or vocals via shitty Apple earbuds. The only solace I take is that most of them will be deaf soon.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Waiting Rooms that have a Television Monitor that rams the News (Usually CNN) down your throat Morning, Noon and Night. It's bad enough many Waiting Rooms have the most uninteresting Magazines to read, now they add Insult to Injury by making you hear about the World's Woes! Bring back the Muzak!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't understand why more people don't use vibrate. I guess they think their ringtone is soo cool that they want to share it with the world. Kinda like those P.O.S. cars with stereos that is worth more than the car it's self. The bass is so strong you can hear the trunk lid and other body panels rattling louder than the music.

LewB

Screenwriter
As they zig-zag thru traffic cutting off other vehicles and nearly causing accidents.

mylan

Screenwriter
People that boycott things or stores because they read something on the internet. My sister-in-law boycotted Best Buy because they said "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". I didn't have time to fully investigate all the retail stores and corporations that chose to be P.C. but if she really wanted to boycott all places that "offended her religion", i'll bet there were not many places left for her to go to. She also boycotted corn because of pesticides and told us not to get her son anything with SpongeBob because he was gay! Sheesh, get a life, would ya!

Cell phone ring tones. Whatever happened to "ring, ring"??

People that drive slower than me. I'm no speed demon but if I have to ride my brakes going uphill, then you are going too slow!

My last pet peeve is that I cannot think of anything else that annoys me right off hand, i'm sure there is something else that just chaps my ass!

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Here's one that may actually get me killed one day: drivers who simply won't get it through their heads that "Right Turn on Red" is NOT the same as a green light. I've actually had classless nimrods scream "Right on RED, muthahf**er" as I narrowly escape injury dodging their car. I guess it's "selective listening," and they never heard the rest of the law which states that a motorist may make a right-hand turn while his traffic signal is red provided the intersection is clear of traffic AND pedestrians. This motorist does NOT have the right of way if a pedestrian is crossing (or is about to cross) with the light. I've lost count of how many times I've had this happen to me, and it burns my ass just thinking about it.

I've also had it with people who stop while exiting the subway stairs during rush hour to make a call on their cell phone, oblivious to the human traffic jam they effectively create in their wake. I realize there's no cell reception on most subways (believe me, this is a good thing), but can't they clear the stairs before making that all-important call home to see if they should stop off for lima beans?

Oh...if you're in a crowded, noisy bar, don't expect any mercy from me if you can't hear the person on the other end of the cell phone. This happened to me a while back. It was a Friday night around 10 pm, and this semi-gorgeous gal took the last seat at the bar, which just so happened to be next to me. She whipped out her cell phone and quickly started dialing, out of the fear that my ugly ass or any of my equally unattractive friends might start hitting on her (this tactic is another peeve). We just continued with our lives, when suddenly, she pipes up: "Do you MIND? I'm on the phone." After a split-second of stunned silence, I replied "I don't mind at all. Chat away!" My friends laughed even louder, and she got real pissed.

Here's another one I know I'm not alone on: Couples who bring their children to bar/restaurants and proceed to drink away as if the staff AND THE PATRONS are somehow responsible for the precious child's well-being (I'm talking about establishments that are primarily bars that just so happen to offer food, not restaurants that just happen to serve alcohol, if you get my drift). I've witnessed couples chiding bar patrons for smoking near their child (when one could smoke in NJ bars) when the smoker was clearly smoking BEFORE the child entered, and I've witnessed smokers chided when the same precious entity decides to investigate distant parts of the establishment, far from where the parents are ensconced. Worst of is when the parents reply "Oh, he's FINE" when the bartender informs them the child has wandered among the patrons aho really don't want their space invaded by a mannerless child...

Users who are viewing this thread