What's new

My Three Sons: Season 1, Vol. 1 (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Unbelievable, Jim! First my favorite show of all time is gutted, and now another highly anticipated favorite is gutted. This is just horrible.

Gary "what in the world is wrong with CBS/P that makes them think this is acceptable to the fans?" O.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Wonder if that explains why there was a fairly lengthy delayed after the title was originally announced? This kind of stuff from CBS/Paramount of late really does make the price point and the half seasons (rather than full) seem doubly egregious.

Jay

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I’m really baffled by CBS/Paramount’s handling of this release of “My Three Sons.” You would have thought with all of the adverse publicity surrounding the music replacement issues that plagued season 2, volume 1 of “The Fugitive,” that CBS/Paramount would have used that release as a text book example of how not to release a TV-on-DVD set and learned something from that experience. At the very least, they could have issued some information prior to the release advising what/why music changes were made to “My Three Sons.” I’m in the camp that may not like the changes, but I do appreciate an honest attempt to inform consumers as to why the changes were necessary, and might be a bit more inclined to purchase a product if I knew exactly what I was getting in advance. But, from all appearances, CBS/Paramount has chosen to follow the very same path that they did with “The Fugitive” . . . . no discernable attempt by them to advise consumers of this major alteration prior to release, and a disclaimer on the package that really does not address such a major music rescoring effort. When you couple the music replacement issue with a comparatively high price for 18 half-hour episodes, you have to wonder why this was even released in the first place; it's a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately, all of the other aspects (casting, writing, etc.) that made “My Three Sons” such a great family sitcom will take a back seat to how CBS/Paramount has handled this release.

I can see it now, “coming soon to Wal-Mart’s $5.00 bin . . . .”

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Great point about the delay. I'd say that's spot on accurate, along with your point about this making the pricing even more dubious.

Gary "changing my sig to reflect this latest news" O.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Based on this fiasco ...

Next week sees CBS/Paramount's "official" release of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES - THE SECOND SEASON.

Since there's a "music changed" disclaimer on the back of the box
The Beverly Hillbillies DVD news: Rear Box Art for The Beverly Hillbillies - The 2nd Season | TVShowsOnDVD.com

I'm already assuming the wonderful Perry Botkin underscores will be gone (you know -- the catchy "Elly May" theme, Commerce Bank theme & all those other great music cues).

Dear God ... why is this happening?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I just want to go on record and tell the company, if they're monitoring this, that I was going to buy "My Three Sons," and now I'm not going to buy "My Three Sons."

I was going to buy "The Beverly Hillbillies - Season 2," but if it also has music replacement, I will not buy "The Beverly Hillbillies - Season 2."

In fact, to state the general case, I will not buy any set that has music replacement or changes in any fundamental way the way the shows were originally shown -- and that even includes "The Lucy Show," which I've been looking forward to for years.

You have officially broken my heart and made a cheap, crazy world even cheaper and crazier.

I also want to state that I don't like HTF's new color scheme, but I guess I'll save that for another time.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
That's really sad to hear what they've done to My Three Sons. I really was surprised that they were going to release this show in the first place. Now with its high price, split seasons, and to top it all off, replaced music, it really doesn't bode well for this show getting past season one on DVD. If it's devoted fans are not going to buy it, who will?

It's interesting to hear though that there is one episode on the set that does have the complete score intact. If they were worried about legal issues or licensing fees, how is it one episode got through? Better to fool the public that this release was intact?

Jim B.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Update: The episode "Bub In the Ointment is complete with original music. What is strange is that it includes some of the same music removed from "The Little Ragpicker"? I do not have anymore time until tonight to compare these shows so this is what I have found :

Chip Off The Old Block- original music
The Little Rag Picker-completely rescored
Bub In The Ointment- original music
Brotherly Love-completely rescored
Lady Engineer- completely rescored

I have spot checked most others and found new music but I will will compare complete episodes before any more updates.
The rescored episodes to me are done so badly as to be unwatchable.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Just scroll down to the VERY bottom left-hand corner of any page, Joe and change to one of the other color schemes. Stay away from WAP, though. It can really screw things up.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Why are there not laws against butchering original content in these shows? Are they not protected somehow from this? If it was my show getting chopped up I would be lining up lawyers and suing the hell out of the studios for not only allowing this to happen but condoning it.

Ruining classic television shows is a travesty that must be stopped, somehow.

OMG...now I'm REALLY worried about The Donna Reed Show...

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Not to get side-tracked here, Joe, but IIRC HTF has done this once or twice in the past (for The Simpsons Movie and perhaps Superman) as a way to promote the launch of their release on DVD. I assume this new campaign is for Iron Man and things will go back to normal in a few days. If Ron and Parker can pick up some additional ad revenue just by altering the forum color scheme for a few days, then I say more power to them. I'd much rather see this than an intrusive and annoying pop-up!

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
This is so incredibly maddening. I don't know if I can even put my irritation into coherent words. I'd been looking forward to this release for months. Brand me totally naive, but I thought surely we'd never have another "Fugitive" style fiasco. I'd dismissed that as a weird one-shot anomaly, caused by egregious stupidity.

I was so excited by the release, causing me yesterday to go out of my way and make the 30-mile trek to the Best Buy store. I viewed the first episode last night and everything seemed hunky-dorry. Learning this morning of the musical butchery, I felt sick and exasperated. I drove all the way back to the Best Buy store to return the set, but the clerk said since the set had been opened, they wouldn't take it back. So, I slammed it down on the counter and told them to keep the damned thing, and that I'd never set foot in their store again.

I haven't lost my temper like that in many years. But both CBS/Paramount and Best Buy can just both go to hell. There were at least a half-dozen Paramount releases in the next few months I was planning to get, but they can just forget it. Screw them, and screw Best Buy. I hope the poor economy strangles them both out of existence.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There is only one solution: Boycott all CBS/Paramount products.

—No CBS network shows.
—No Paramount movies.
—No Nickelodeon (not even if you have kids who like it), The N, MTV, VH-1, Showtime, or The Movie Channel.
—No syndicated shows distributed by CBS Television Distribution.

Write letters demanding "original, unaltered episodes," and tell them you will not buy anything that is altered in any way.

This makes me absolutely sick. Everyone involved with this debacle needs to be fired and blacklisted from the industry. The music industry needs to die.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Since the all CBS releases now Bear the Disclaimer they're covered. So the bottom line is you just cannot preorder until the review come out. I have Hawaii Five O S5 and Beverly Hillbilies S2 coming out I won't cancel the order but it will be my last preorder

Jim B.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Update:
Countdown-completely rescored*
Lady Engineer- completely rescored
Chips Harvest- completely rescord**
Raft On The River- completely rescored

*This episode originally contains only a few seconds of music, a one second four note xylaphone run when Bub gets sprayed by the washing machine- repaced with a bombastic two note synthesized tuba blast and about five seconds of music right at the end, replaced.

**Even a three note harmonica accent is replaced and a tinging of a bell is used twice to accent, it is changed to a synthesized bell using different notes!

Jim B.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I've finished comparing the original vs. the new set

Countdown- completely rescored
Adjust or Bust- completely rescored
Lady Engineer- completely rescore
Chip's Harvest- completely rescored
Raft On The River- completely rescored
Lonesome George- completely rescored
Spring Will Be A Little Late- completely rescored
My Three Strikers-completely rescored
The Elopement- completely rescored
Mike's Brother- completely rescored
Domestic Trouble- completely rescored
Bub Leaves Home- completely rescored
Mike In a Rush- completely rescored*
The Bully- completely rescored

*Some incidental dance music playing at the party is about a quarter of the tempo of the original so the dancers and the music do not match at all. Pretty sloppy work.

Jim B.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Since I have probably saved some of you a lot of money maybe everyone who would have bought this set if I hadnt warned you could send me a quarter to help offset my loss! ha ha

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good luck with that, Jim! :laugh:

I've been trying to get through to you on the phone to give you my credit card info. The number I've been using (BR-549) doesn't seem to work, though. :frowning:

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Why would they have 2 episodes with the music left intact, and the rest rescored? Strange, indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks