What's new

My Three Sons: Season 1, Vol. 1 (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I usually Rail against the bootleggers and despite it being the HTF Policy I would'nt blame anyone for going to the bootleggers for these releases.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

I agree. They should pass the savings onto the consumer since they don't have to pay the higher fees for music clearances--OR they could use the money they saved to create special bonus features like cast interviews or commentaries.

I read that a lot of people have canceled their orders because of the music replacement, but if Paramount HAD included special features like original promos or cast commercials then maybe consumers would still buy it just to have the extras.

Paul Mavis

Agent
Real Name
Paul Mavis

Hi, Jim -- I will be reviewing it soon for DVDTalk - it was just assigned to me. So...let the hate email begin! (just kidding).
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Sorry, not even extras would entice me to make a purchase. I had The Fugitive Season 2 Volume 1 and I was unable to keep the set due to the horrible, over loud underscore. No amount of extras would have placed this in my collection.

Replacing underscore/music and giving fans something else will not work with this consumer.

Doug

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
My Last Paramount Preorder, ordered a while back is Mission Impossible S5 which I'm hopeful will be OK, but that will be my last Preorder, I'll wait for after Release date and if it is unchanged I will order a CBS title, if not I pass

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
This is truly a nightmare. I'm just in shock that this is happening again after the FUGE fiasco. I was so sure Paramount would have learned their lesson from that disaster. Apparently not. I'm down to only 4 shows that I'll still even consider buying from CBS/Paramount (and I was, before this summer, buying pretty much everything they offered just to support the company):

PERRY MASON - not on release date, but only after I find a great deal because I'm not paying over $25 for a half season set.

RAWHIDE - because it's become one of my all time favorite shows.

THE UNTOUCHABLES - but I'm barely hanging on with this one.

HAWAII FIVE-0 - might not keep this one up for much longer.

Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction are now on the "wait and see" list for me. If they are not tampered with, I'll pick them up. But that's it. Nothing else.

Gary "what a joke" O.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
This is very disappointing that CBS has chosen to do this! Can you imagine if CBS had just started releasing the Brady Bunch and changed THAT series famous music cues??? God help 'em if they do this to Petticoat Junction!!
I'm not cancelling my order since I want to see these shows again and no channel is rerunning My Three Sons. I could understand if My Three Sons had a lot of famous music guests and songs to clear, but this is just plain stupid!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This music changing does not bode well for The Lucy Show either. Shame on Paramount. Either pay for the music or sell these cheap with the replacements. Unfortunately My Three Sons will proabbly never be released on DVD now do to poor sales of Volume 1.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Oh, one more really important thing. Steve's point about the ending credits not showing the new composer is a BIG, BIG deal. He may very well be correct in his assumptions about CBS/Paramount looking to cloak this. Surely that point needs looking in to. I'll bet certain people are looking into this as I type.

Gary "surely the company wouldn't try to pull that, would they?" O.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
I don't see how the music changes save CBS any money.

I would be disheartend if they did this to The Lucy Show, but that series was not well known for its music score, so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

But I'm still aghast that someone at CBS thought this was a brilliant idea!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So...based on Post #91 by Jim B., the following is true:

Crime #1: CBS has changed music cues on episodes of My Three Sons.

Crime #2: CBS did NOT include any warning/disclaimer on the packaging or press releases that this was the case.

Crime #3: CBS does not include ANY indication in the show's credits that they have altered the programs in any way.

:thumbsdown:

It's one thing to make changes. Some executive could argue that there's "reason x" and, without the changes, My Three Sons would never see a release on DVD. But without that knowledge, it does, indeed, look like they are trying to pull a fast one without ANY warning that the shows have been altered from their original broadcast presentation. :angry:

I'm sure curious to hear what those synthesizer cues sound like. I can only imagine that they MUST stand out like a sore thumb.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

The standard CBS/P disclaimer is on the set.

I'd imagine the music does stand out badly, based on early reviews.

Gary "just can't believe old scores like these can't be cleared" O.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the correction, Gary. I have amended the part of my post you quoted.

It's funny, though, because I actually picked up and held the release at a couple different stores last night ($39.99 at FYE! :eek: ) and read the packaging pretty carefully (or so I thought) looking for such a disclaimer...and I didn't see one. Must have just missed it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

No problem, Mike. In your defense, CBS/P doesn't generally display the disclaimer in large, bold type. It's in the fine print, as always.

Gary "still completely disgusted by this fiasco" O.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The "icing on the cake" for me is how CBS/P shifts gears in mid-stream cancels the full season set and replaces it with this bastardized half-season set at a $39.98 list price! Somehow, this just doesn't past the smell test IMO...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The thing is, like I said...I WAS LOOKING FOR IT! TWICE! And, I still didn't see it! And I was reading the fine print.

But I guess we need to take into account my thread in "After Hours" on bi-focals...

:D

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Wow, even when I want to give them my money they make it impossible to do so. this is yet another big disappointment. I was really looking forward to this and picked it up yesterday at lunch. I am going to return it today at lunch.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Jim, just so I'm getting this right: Are you telling us that the entire underscore is gone? That the only thing remaining, like the FUGITIVE, is the opening and closing credits score? Is that what you are saying? Or are we talking about select "radio" or "jukebox" scores within the show? I think you are telling us all the backscore is gone, but I want to make doubly sure I'm reading you correctly.

Gary "I feel like I'm going to toss my cookies" O.

Jim B.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I have had a little time to compare these new episodes to the originals and one episode is completely intact with original music, the very first one "Chip Off The Old Block". This was one that had "Music by Frank Devol" instead of "Original Theme by Frank Devol" but the next episode "The Little Ragpicker" also a "Music by.." is completely rescored. I will continue to go through these but have spot checked almost all of the episodes and have found no other original music anywhere. So for $25 + you get 1 original show.

Jim B.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Yes Gary other than the first episode the ENTIRE underscore is gone and replaced with synthesizer music that attempts to mimic the original but is very non musical and has an infantile almost silly feeling to it and the original beautiful wistful meloncholy cues are replaced with music that is completely devoid of any emotion. Sound familiar?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks