What's new

my theater project, pics are up... (1 Viewer)

ErnieST

Auditioning
That's probably pretty much how it will work. Will be a selling point for many buyers.

I do design/build work and some remodeling work. I have gotten involved in a couple of projects where a seller got into a tangle with the local building inspection department over a bootleg project and helped get it resolved.

I searched out this forum and information on home theaters because I'm in the process of building a new personal home. It will have a "bonus" room over the garage with a regular stairway access. The room will have kneewalls either 4', 5' or 6' depending on how wide I want it to be. Also, the ceiling can be 8', 9' or 10' but will, in all cases have sloped side/walls (at 45 degrees - 12/12 pitch roof) that come off the kneewalls.

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ernie... I have sloped walls/ceiling as you can see from the pictures... depending on the orientation you choose, you can use these lower knee walls to your advantage.. in my case the front wall is 72" so that the TV + stand is 60 inches and I have 6 inches from the top of the wall and a 6 inch platform/stage fills up the rest... Since the ceiling slopes down behind the TV, I just use this seldom accessed space as my front equipment access room... I did the same thing in the back for rear equipment access... I'd love to see pics of your project... good luck.

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
woohoo!!! all i need now is baseboards, chair rails, crown moldings, carpet, and acoustic treatments!!! I'm sooo excited... have a look everyone and let me know what you think so far...

My Theater!!!

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
Nice looking theater but GOOD LORD.....the notching of those joist is really bad. It's up to you but, if they do start to show signs of sagging or failure, Simpson Stong Ties makes a plate with a U in it to span the notched section of joist allowing for the pipe. BTW...the floor joist are designed and specified with a live load of 60lbs per sq foot on top of any drywall ceiling. This takes into consideration flooring material and sub-floor sheathing.

Good luck.

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
thank you everyone for the nice comments so far... this project has been amazingly fun... and now it's 95% complete, just need to:

clean up a few wires and connections
buy these theater chairs (1 row of 3 in front, single cushion sofa in back)
put up drapes and acoustic diffusion/absorption panels on pillars and back wall

oh and last but not last least...

replace current broken sub, with my soon to arrive SVS PB1-ISD... :)

anyhow, here are the latest pictures.... at 95% complete...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks