What's new

My SVS sub not working (1 Viewer)

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
I've just pulled out my HT equipment from storage now that I've got my HT all set up and ready to go. Anyway, my 25-31pc is an older one (4-5+ years old). It's got the 200W amp (I think). It's like my receiver (Yamaha RX-V3000) isn't recognizing it. The rest of the system sounds excellent.

I haven't changed any of the receiver settings from when it was working, but I have checked them all.

Checked sub fuse, it's good.

Sub cable is the Better Cables one that came with it.

It's weird, if I take the cable and touch the back of the receiver anywhere, the sub will hummmmmm. Like it's grounding or something. So the woofer moves. It'll hum louder if I turn it up.

I've tried both sub inputs.

Is there anything else I should check? I'm sure that my receiver settings are good. I don't have another sub to plug in to make sure it's NOT the sub.

Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The sub hums when you move the cable because you are introducing noise and it is being amplified. That would suggest that it is at least receiving signal via the cable. Does your receiver have L&R preamp outs that you can connect it to? That would at least tell you if the sub is working.

Does your receiver have a "direct" or "pure" mode?

mylan

Screenwriter
I had a sub that hummed just like you mention, turned out it was the cable. Just being a better cable doesn't exclude it from being the problem, mine was an AudioQuest Jade cable that I think I paid $75 for. The ground wire had come loose. See if you can unscrew the ends and check for that.

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for replies.

Not sure about the direct or pure mode, but that doesn't sound familiar. There might be something like direct 24hz or something, not sure. Also, I failed to mention I have tried another cable. Basically it was a coax with RCA ends. Same deal.

I've tried all the different theater options, 2 channel etc. I'm not home now. When I am I'll try another cable.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Andrew,First, don't disconnect/connect any cables to any audio components without powering them off first. You can damage the subwoofer amplifier or receiver like that.

1)double check that your receiver's speaker setup menu is configured so all speakers are set to small and the subwoofer is set to on yes.

2)try a different cable. Any spare audio cable will be fine for this test---even a composite video cable.

Tom V.
SVS

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I also say double check ALL settings, in receiver's setup menus. When equipment is unplugged for awhile, as in storage, they'll usually reset to default factory settings. When that happens, you have to go in and reset the settings you had made, when doing the original setup.
Good luck!

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks fellas. Long story short, I'm an idot. Got the SVS rockin' as usual.

mylan

Screenwriter

I'd rather be an idiot than be out an SVS, glad you got it figured out.:emoji_thumbsup:

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Not an idiot.......
Just easy to overlook something in that kind of situation. When you first hook it back up, and it doesn't work right, you start to freak out. You don't think straight for a little while, because you're worried something serious has happened. Then you start to settle down, folks offer suggestions to check, and suddenly you find something simple, and fix it. Then you say "Whew!" :D

I think some of us has been there, and done that too.........
Glad you got it figured out.

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if anyone cares, I had it hooked up through the 6 channel sub input and not the one it shoulda been. If that makes sense. I figured it had to be something stupid. Not the 1st time, probably not the last.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I handle the techsupport inbox for SVS Andrew and that(using the wrong RCA on the receiver) is more common than you might think..:) Don't worry about it---just enjoy your system.

Tom V.
SVS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks