What's new

My son's first tarpon! (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

My son caught his first tarpon yesterday at about 5 p.m. off of Boca Grande. He fought this 120 lb beast for about 25 minutes and 3/4 mile with only a little assistance. It jumped, bulldogged, ran and changed up several times and my son stayed right on it, even in choppy seas.

I took the photo while a friend helped display the fish. To put it into perspective, take note of the size of my friends hands compared to the tarpon's mouth.... or just compare it's head to my son's! ACK!!

Right after the photo we resuscitated and released the fish, but we did keep a scale and my son will mount it in a frame with this photo in his room.

I'm not sure who is more proud - me or my son!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You know I had to read that thread title twice... :)

Maybe you should have written "first really big fish" and left the details for the post proper. ;)

Anyway, congratulations to the young man.

Regards,

Joe

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

Got me too!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was expecting to read about a medical mystery, a biological boggler. :)

Nope, just a big fish story. Undoubtedly photoshopped, too. :D

(congrats)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
It was one hell of a fighter. You could imagine doing it alone, but then imagine trying to help instead of do, while standing on a platform which tilted 20 degrees in random directions, with a line that moved from one side of the boat to another as well as bow to stern, making sure neither the rod or the boy went overboard.... He was reeling his little heart out, I was just freaking out, and the fish.... He has a good story to tell also!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Now there's a sentence you don't read every day. ;)

Eric:

Your son not only caught a terrific fish and got a good story to tell, he also has a pretty funny thread he can point his friends to. :D

Joe

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
Congratulations!

So what do you do with a fish like that? Do you take it and have it trophy'd or just release it right then?

That's really awesome! What a great adventure to share with your son!

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

After the photo-op you resuscitate it then release. To resuscitate it you run the boat forward while letting water run through it's mouth. Once it starts twitching you let go. If you don't do this it is sharkbait. You need a special license to keep one, but they are not good eating at all. Taxidermists will make a replica if you ask, but that isn't really the point. It's all about the fight. Landing a Tarpon is not easy nor guaranteed when you hook one.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Very cool. That is one big fish! Hard to believe a boy could fight and reel in a fish that probably outweighs him.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Gadzooks, what a fish! Impressive job, given how big it is.

And I'm delighted that you set it free after.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks