What's new

My So Called Life - DVD Boxset Release Details (1 Viewer)

Jodee

Screenwriter
I received my snail mail confirmation.

One thing I am wondering. Having already owned the first disc (eps 1-3) I placed my original order for the 4-19 box set option. I was told at the time that the discs would be identical. Is this still the case? I would hate for the sets to not match, or for the new set to have new transfers.

If this is the case, is it to late to pay the extra ten dollars and change my order?

Jodee

Screenwriter
Thanks Jason. How would I change my order? Is there someone at AU that would help me with this?

DanGuyF

Grip
Regarding the suggestions for alternate images for the lunchbox faces:

I would very gladly have used the pic of the whole cast together on one side and put Claire alone on the other. Unfortunately, BMG only allowed Jason to borrow 29 images (of the 150 or so they have). While he quickly grabbed a good cross-sampling, it did not include the pic of the whole cast together, nor any single shots of Devon Odessa ("Sharon"), nor any other shots of Tom Irwin ("Graham").

I too am a big fan of "Front 2". The photograph used is, if my old MSCL scrap book is to be believed, by Mark Seliger, one of my favourite portrait photographers.

Ultimately, I think that it is more important that everyone be represented on the packaging, though.

DanGuyF

Grip
In my defense, BMG did not have a lightbox and I could not leave with all of the slides (though I certainly tried)
You did well to get them to allow you to take as many as you did, from what I hear! I don't think you can be faulted in the least for not getting more images. You picked a good cross-section considering the circumstances.

I just hope you can get the rest of the images for the image gallery on the bonus disc.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I still say the CD pic should be the front. While the group shot is okay, it is an outake, which when you consider that this is supposed to be a display piece, is not a good choice. You wouldn't see that pic making the cover of TV Guide. I would say the packaging is more important than the image galleries.

DanGuyF

Grip
An "outake"?

The packaging is certainly more important than the image gallery, but is that any reason to not hope for the best for the image gallery? I fail to see the relevance of this comment.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It sounded like it wasn't worth the effort to try to get the rest of the images for anything other than the image gallery. If you had all of them to chose from, perhaps a better group shot would be among them for the cover.

Upon looking at it again, it is not as bad as I thought it was, though Rayanne is catching flies and looks like someone poked her in the eye. I still say the CD pic is a better cover shot, but it looks like it isn't being used anyway, so that too is irrelevant now.

DanGuyF

Grip
I'd be happy to have BMG send me the rest of the images and to possibly revise the lunchbox design based on them. That will delay the release of the set, at this point, though, and so is not my decision.

The image in the current front is a promotional photograph that was used in magazine articles and newspaper ads, as well as in the packaging of the VHS box sets I believe. It is not as widely used as Seliger's Danes pic, and for good reason I agree, but I think the fact that it is less used might be another small mark in its favour.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm not trying to be a PITA, but with the choices currently available, why not use the group pic on the back and the CD pic on the front?

As for a delay, AU already has my money, and we've waited this long already. Most of the respondents here liked the CD pic, but I would agree that it would be preferable to have as much of the cast on the case somewhere, so if it meant holding out for the other group shot with everyone in it (which BMG should have if it exists), then you'd have the best of both worlds. There might even be some better individual shots that could be used if you had the option. If you are going to try to secure the other pics anyway, I'd say its worth at least looking into. Since no one else has chimed in, I may be the only one who holds this opinion, but am just trying to be constructive.

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
How about we put some pictures inside the lunchbox. ;)
Just kidding.
BTW, I think the Claire Danes lunchbox would look better on the shelf at Suncoast. However, taking into account the for-the-fan nature of this project, I would vote for getting all the cast on there.
I don't think I should go thru the picture thing again, because this one was already submitted to Buena Vista for approval. The critical path now is manufacturing and shipping. Rush delivery from Hong Kong isn't going to be as rushed as at would have once been, due to increased US Customs scrutiny (2500 empty lunchboxes...). This is out of the mouth of G-Whiz, the box manufacturers. As for why don't we just make the lunchboxes in the US? Sweatshop jokes (and legitimate concerns) aside, nobody is manufacturing them in the US. I can get plastic lunchboxes made here, but I could not find a US manufacturer --addendum for Lance (heheh): not for such a limited run anyway.
To address sweatshop concerns, the people working in the manufacturing facility do earn prevailing wages for Hong Kong, and work in a safe facility (as safe as a place with metal stampers is gonna get). But are we benefiting from global earnings disparity and currency exchanges? Yes. That's why you'll be hard pressed to find anything made in the US.
Jason

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Well!

I spent yesterday afternoon at BMG. Dropped of the last bit of artwork clearance paperwork the legal folks needed (spent an utter fortune at Kinkos, but probably not as bad as buying inkjet cartridges for my office printer).

Now it's up to everybody at BMG and AU to make up for lost time. There were no more problems to resolve, and I can focus primarily on getting the cast interviews back on track. This doesn't hold up anything else, as the bonus disc menus, etc. can be designed ahead of time and the new footage can be added as soon as it is completed.

Just checking in.

Jason

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
that's because nobody commented about my last one. :D
There is an update at www.mscl.com/dvd
also, Gord and I were out in LA, and got to check up on the set. We will both write more about it later. I have to finish up my work, but will post an update here soon.
Jason Rosenfeld

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I am most certainly not a MSCL fan, but I have to admire the care and dedication you put into this set. You seem to have really given the fans what they want, so a pat on the back!
Any chance of you doing something (IMO) good? :) I hear a Parker Lewis Can't Lose set calling :) (He's on Stargate SG-1 now! Big cross promotion! :) )
Of course, the discs have to come in a big Swatch :)

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Parker Lewis would be a great one, IMHO.

The funny thing is that our argument to the studios is that every show (excluding Galactica 80) is worthy of a DVD box set.

The cost of authoring is coming down to the point where it really becomes feasible. Not crappy authoring either.

Also, our argument is that fans know the material better than any A&R person could ever hope to. If you get the fans involved in the package (obviously guided by pros and graphic artists), you can have a product that speaks to the fans interests.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks