What's new

My So Called Life - DVD Boxset Release Details (1 Viewer)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
With Jeff's idea of not changing the old threads title, I have taken it apon my sholder to bear the weight of creating a new MSCL thread.
Current news, the filming of supplemental materials began last week, according to the website. (From 22 April 2002)
If you have AOHell's IM client, you can get an update on you preorder status, thanks to Jason for that. Get the details from MSCL
Jason is still acting as a wonderful go between for us, and AU. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email him. He has been great to date!
[email protected]
About two month to go to release date, according to my rough calculations. If anyone else has ideas, comments, etc. shout out.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The shipping table is up at http://www.anotheruniverse.com/mscldvd/shipping.html
I'm a little upset that the promised $6.95 shipping rebate isn't being applied to international orders as it said it would be when I ordered, especially with shipping already being pretty steep on these sets. They have reduced it to $6. Sure it's only $.95, ($1.60CAN) but why can't they stick to what they promised in the first place? If only half the orders were from out of country, that's another $1,250 they're taking.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
The new issue of Entertainment Weekly (with Matt LeBlanc on the cover) briefly mentions the My So-Called Life boxset in an article about TV on DVD. They suggest that this set is somehow cheaper because they are doing it on a pre-order basis.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just so I am clear, the original wording said that those who ordered before 3/01/02 would have the US shipping ($6.95) waived, or international orders would have $6.95 credited towards their shipping. It now says $6.00. International shipping starts at $12.00US to Canada.

Another PITA post brought to you by the letter "o".

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
The reason for selling the set direct is not necessarily to make it cheaper, but to get it to the people who want it most efficiently. If you are going to press 3,000 copies of something, you don't want to ship a single copy to each of 3,000 retailers. From what I heard about MSCL when I was at BMG, it was very hard to find it. Believe it or not, the biggest customer of the set only purchased 120 copies. If you doubt me, pull up a video soundscan.

It is being sold direct because basically because the retailers didn't want it.

Also, it doesn't hurt to sell direct when you take into account the relatively low number pressed and the relatively high fixed costs, such as authoring. By selling direct, you can charge close to the price of a mass produced retail set.

jason

MattHR

Screenwriter
Can anyone tell me what the features of the "limited edition" version available only before the pre-order

deadline are? Another Universe website says orders

received after the deadline will be for the standard box set. Was it a lunch box/special packaging, or actual DVD special features on a bonus disc?

I tried doing a search of the forum but it kept coming

back to the main page.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm pretty sure the lunchbox is the only thinkg those of us who ordered early are getting extra. Perhaps Jason could clarify of the extras disc is going to be standard with any order.

Jodee

Screenwriter
In that EW article, the producers of MSCL were surprised to learn that it was coming out on DVD. Makes you wonder how many extras we're going to get since they weren't contatced directly for their involvement.

I still can't wait for this set to ship.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to look for that EW issue today. In case I miss it, does anyone have a link to the article online?

Matt, as far as I know the content is not affected at all, it is just the lunchbox and the pricing that was "limited". Jason, can you confirm or correct that?

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
1) Winnie, Marshall and Ed were interviewed on Friday, and close to 70 minutes of footage was shot. Next up: cast interviews. O' Ye of little faith... ;)
2) At the time of the other interview by EW, they didn't know about the set, and AU.com had no idea that Entertainment Weekly were writing the article. It was a surprise to me, as well.
3) Therefore, Entertainment weekly must have interviewed them over a month ago (and I think that is how they learned of the set, because when we contacted them, they had already heard of the set).
4) So, we had made contact about a month ago.
5) More timely news from EW. I didn't realize anyone did anything other than look at the pictures in Entertainment Weekly. :D D'oh! They do make my wait in the dentist's waiting room go by faster, though.
The only difference between the pre-order version and the non-preorder version is
1) the price. Retail is $115. Pre-order price was $99
2) The lunchbox. No lunchbox for non-preorder versions
3) Free or discounted shipping before 3/1
Basically pre-order gets you a lunchbox and saves you $15. It did not make sense to not include the bonus disc, as most people want the discs for the content.

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
I might as well put something else to rest. . . before it even happens. You heard it here first. :)
BMG is going to be assigning a UPC code to the set soon. From experience, this means that it will show up on various release schedules, and some online retailers might even list the product as "not yet available."
This is pretty much an automatic process. And one should not think that this is not really an exclusive. When I was at BMG, we were amazed to see stuff ending up on release schedules and sites while we were working on them. Stuff we never notified anybody about. I think it happens when the UPC is assigned.
Why am I writing this? Because I am pretty sure that will happen here, and don't want you to think that AU is lying about the exclusive license. Just basing it on past experience.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Jason, that is great news! It's getting closer and closer, me thinks.

Good to hear that cast interviews are going to be done as well. Can we have any word on who (cast wise) is going to be interviewed?

I want to publicly thank you once again for everything you have been doing to keep us in the loop. Your feed back has been fantastic. I wish all releases had this sort of feedback.

Now, how about organizing a Space: Above and Beyond collection?

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Can't say 100% who, from the cast, will be there. We may need several sessions, though, as everyone seems to have busy schedules. Also, some are on the west coast and some on the east. We will definitely need multiple sessions, IMHO. Will come together in a few weeks.
You will be happy to know that AU has been sending fans (they flew one of the MSCL.com guys to Los Angeles) to oversee the filming and make sure the the right questions are asked for bonus material. The guy they sent had a near-religious experience. :D I think if you are going to sell something exclusively to fans, you might as well give them a lot of input.
Would love to pursue a Space: AAB set.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Jeeze, I could do with some religion myself these days! Some guys have all the luck, it would seem. :)
Guess it is time to start some sort of fanatical religious candle shrine, or something equally off beat. Seems everyone and their dog has a website, so maybe a "old media" cut and paste shrine are what the gods are demanding these days... Hmm, wonder what the fire codes say about the number of candles you can use. I don't want to become a sacrifice at the alter :D
Seriously, I bet that was a big hit for the lucky *&^*&^.
As an aside, To Gillian... is being released by Columbia next week,one of the "Special features" I noted was a FULL FRAME transfer. So when did a hack and slash job become a Special Feature?
Ok, enough ranting about that, at least on this thread.
NOTE: Edited for spelling errors missed the first time.

DanGuyF

Grip
The lucky one was me. Interviewing Winnie, Marshall, and Ed was an experience and a half! I can't speak highly enough about the three of them of giving their time to this project.

I also got to hang out with Ross, the gentleman who, unlike every other company that MSCL.com approached, saw the market for extras-packed collectible DVD releases of "niche" shows. I am excited by his plans for further releases and by his understanding that selling to diehard fans requires providing a quality product.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I want someone to properly tackle Northern Exposure, still one of the best shows out there. It is also perfect for a production team with a little imagination for menu design and content. This show has already built a solid merchandising franchise, why the DVD rights aren't secured, I don't know.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Although I am not likely going to buy MSCL, it excites me to see this product come to market. The process to bring this title to DVD gives me great hope for programs that may go unreleased by their studios, like "V: The Series", "The Flash", or "Beauty and the Beast" (for my mother. really.).

DanGuyF

Grip
I would love to see "Northern Exposure" given this same treatement in a DVD set. And I'd love to be involved in brining "Beauty and the Beast" to DVD, not only because I missed some episodes the first time around but also so that I could rub it in the nose of my 9th grade English teacher who loved the show and who said I'd never make anything of myself. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks