1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

My RP-91 has been resurrected!!!!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott O'Keeffe, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Scott O'Keeffe

Scott O'Keeffe Stunt Coordinator

Wow, just through a casual look through AVS Forum, I came across a thread that spoke more to the "No Disc" problem with the RP-91 that usually means that the laser has gone bye bye. However, there is one more step that you can try in addition to the "Initialize" series of commands.

For those of you who don't already know, you can try beginning with the Initialze steps (On the unit hold PAUSE + BWD-SKIP + OPEN for about 3 seconds. The display will display "initialization" or "int")

then, (and this is the step I just found out about)

While initialization is being displayed, let go of PAUSE and press STOP while holding the other two buttons. The display will then display "reset".

My RP-91 was dead for about 6 months while I thought it was the laser because the "initialize" didn't work. Now, through the wonders of the net, I have RESURRECTED the RP.

Was (operative word) using a Pioneer Elite 45A, which was nice, but its nice to be "home". Check out ebay soon for the 45A if anyone interested. (or contact scott4964@msn.com)

Ok, so yes, I'm most excited about the scaling of non-morphs being back in the house. [​IMG]

Thought I'd pass along and thanks AVS Forum and HTF!!

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Good deal. The 91 is still an awesome player. I have two and love them.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Sweet, have had good luck w/ my RP91 but am glad to know there are some ways to try and resurrect it if it ever does go belly up on me!

4. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

Thanks for reminding me of this, I read it before on AVS and forgot about it. My RP91 has strange menue and were all scrambled except for playing with menu Reset it, right now and it works again.

image of playing video with OSD
    [​IMG]

image of menu field 1
    [​IMG]

image of scrambled menu field 2
    [​IMG]

5. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

Thanks for the tip, Scott. My RP-91 has not yet experienced any of the problems that seem to plague this model, but it's good to know I may have an option to resurrect the player should a problem occur. I would hate to lose my RP-91 -- it's scaling and pillarboxing functions are very important to me.

6. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

Thanks for the tip, Scott. My RP-91 has not yet experienced any of the problems that seem to plague this model, but it's good to know I may have an option to resurrect the player should a problem occur. I would hate to lose my RP-91 -- it's scaling and pillarboxing functions are very important to me.

7. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    I "retired" my RP-91 player about a year ago to give it a rest and try some up-scaling DVD players with aspect ratio control.

I've recently brought my RP-91 out of retirement again to compare images and its output still looks damn good to this day. I have since installed the latest 262 firmware and placed the RP-91 back into my system rack.

I hope the new S97 model that got pushed back recently to September is a worthy successor of the RP-91.

8. WesleyHester

John Hester
    I "retired" my RP-91 player about a year ago to give it a rest and try some up-scaling DVD players with aspect ratio control.

I've recently brought my RP-91 out of retirement again to compare images and its output still looks damn good to this day. I have since installed the latest 262 firmware and placed the RP-91 back into my system rack.

I hope the new S97 model that got pushed back recently to September is a worthy successor of the RP-91.

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Screenwriter

Wesley,

I'm not familiar with this new firmware update...do you have any more details?

10. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Screenwriter

Wesley,

I'm not familiar with this new firmware update...do you have any more details?

11. Scott O'Keeffe

12. Scott O'Keeffe

13. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I also love my RP91. It won't get replaced till a decent DVI equipped player emerges without bugs.

14. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I also love my RP91. It won't get replaced till a decent DVI equipped player emerges without bugs.

15. WesleyHester

John Hester
  16. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Screenwriter

Thanks Fellas!

Wesley,

Can you give me an overview of what this firmware update fixes or changes? If it's something I'm not having an issue with, then I may not perform it.

17. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

No one really knows what the firmware does. Panasonic apparently doesn't document the changes on their firmware discs. I went from 259 to the newer 262 and didn't notice much difference. Some others felt that discs loaded quicker though.

18. WesleyHester

John Hester
    Sorry I can't tell you either. Before retiring my RP-91 temporarily, I bought it at 227 or before I believe. Then I upgraded to 236, then 250. I know with these two, the left shift got somewhat minimized and adjustable and the pink tint problem on user video settings was fixed. Beyond that, I do not know. I only just recently upgraded to 259 (which I had burned and but into storage for a long time without using) and then quickly to 262. That's right, I now have 5 firmware discs. I believe this was my first firmware upgradeable player too.

I also have 5 firmware versions for my LiteOn LVD-2001. However, my Momitsu V880 takes the firmware cake (for me anyway) at 7 firmware versions on discs.

19. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

When I upgraded the firmware on my RP-91 to v.259 from v.250, it seemed to improve its handling of video-based material. It reduced the combing that I was experiencing, especially on the Star Trek: Next Generation series discs. I have not bothered to upgrade to v.262.

20. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I just tried this in hopes of resurrecting my RP91, but sadly it didn't work. [​IMG]

I still have yet to replace my RP91. Instead I have just been using my very first player, a Tosh SD-2109. I just can't seem to decide on a player to replace it with.