What's new

My REVIEW: "The Return of the Living Dead" DVD! (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Thanks for the review... I am still waiting for mine to show up. I haven't seen this one in many years and can't wait to see it again... and as you said... finally in widescreen!:)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Too bad it's on Tripod, Michael. I was enjoying it thoroughly, but couldn't get to page two because of bandwidth limits. :frowning:

Martin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Great review!
I have been looking forward to ROTLD coming out on DVD for months, and I am very happy with the quality of the disc.
It is excellent finally seeing it widescreen, and I look forward to watching it again soon so that I can check out the commentary

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I just watched this movie for the first time yesterday, and I must say, I was impressed. This movie was funny as hell. The makeup was done very well in it for its time. I watched the little documentary they have on there, but didnt listen to the commentary, but the feeling I got was the director purposely wanted to make this more of a comedy, as to not step on the toes of George Romero...well done!

Most of the brighter shots in this film look excellent. Some of the darker scenes have severe film grain, but not enough to take away from the enjoyment of the film. Well done MGM!!!

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I tried to read Michael's review, too, but couldn't get the page because the site had exceeded its "hourly bandwidth limit." This is ridiculous! Michael, I'd dump Tripod.

Thanks again for the work on ROTLD! My copy is in the mail.

Jan

Chris M

Second Unit
Tripod, and geocities don't allow enough bandwith. Why not just put the review in a thread like Ron does?

Chris.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The review is somewhat lengthy and besides that, all the images are on Tripod so I wouldn't be able to get them to show up elsewhere.

Please give it some time and try again later. Thanks.

Beau

Supporting Actor
Just finished reading it, and it's a great review Michael!:D I'm just getting more and more antsy for a D.C. I really hope MGM are gonna be happy with the sales, but because a lot seem to have troble finding it, that worrys me.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I couldn't open the page either sadly. :frowning: I just got mine in the mail today! :) Just finished watching it before logging on here, I love this movie!!!
It's the best i've ever seen it look, and I was quite pleased with the amount of LFE that was presant.

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Read the review.Excellent review. I hope you don't mind me quoting this line

"Remember, IF the DVD sells...,"

When I went to Best Buy Tuesday, they only had ONE copy(which was already bought before I got there)

Circuit City had TWO, not in the release section, but the horror section, BEHIND ROTLD 3.

It's not going to sell well if the stores are not ordering enough copies of the movie to sell.

They both had a gazillion copies of The Others, though.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Did anyone else notice a rather strange phenominon with the audio?
During the scene when the gang makes a break from the warehouse to the mortuary, their is supposed to be a song that plays over the scene, but you can only hear the beat, not the vocals!? This happens again later during Franks death, it starts out and you can hear the vocals in the song 'BURN', but when the camera pulls out from the door of the crematorium it's silent with only the sound of Franks scream being heard.
Now, during the commentary track, both songs can now be heard over those scenes!? :confused:
Why can they only be heard during the
commentary and not the films audio track?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I was very impressed by this DVD, considering it was an extremely low budget film shot on cheaper, lower quality film. Colors are very good. There's no EE that I can see. The lighter scenes look extraordinary. The darker scenes also look good with very good shadow detail. There's only two problems that I see with this DVD. Grain is most noticeable during the darker scenes, and a few areas of dirt, splotches, scratches and the like inhabit the transfer. Considering how old and how low of a budget this film was, it's forgiveable. Because this DVD is light years ahead of any other video this film has been presented on.

Beau

Supporting Actor
"Why can they only be heard during the
commentary and not the films audio track?"

That's because the commentary was recorded BEFORE the new sound mix was made.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Got it, thanks.
Watched it again tonight (three times today) :), over a freinds house with a bunch of people, it was a real crowd pleaser! The next best thing to me seeing in theaters. :)

Chris M

Second Unit
Just watched it tonight for the first time. Was kind of disapointed in how grainy some of the night scenes were, but considering the time period and that it was a low budget film I can understand it.
As for the film itself, it was cute, somewhat funny, not really what I expected. I can see myself watching it again :)
Chris.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I was wowed. The film itself looked great and the audio was really well mixed. I was expecting it to come out soft and lacking detail, but it really did look great. The movie itself was as fun as I remember it to be.

Bruce

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Thanks again for your effort in helping to make this great dvd a reality Michael! I was very anxious to watch this disc. When I bought it and THE FOG on Tuesday, I geeked out big time! Upon getting home from work and making some dinner, I watched the movie, the featurette, both trailers, listened to the full commentary, then I watched THE FOG all the way through then both documentaries on that dvd as well. Needless to say, I was up until about 1AM but it was worth every damn minute!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks