What's new

My Paradigm Warranty Experience (1 Viewer)

GregClarke

Stunt Coordinator
After a gradual process of selling my Paradigms (Monitor 7se, CC-300 and Titans v2) to finance new models I now have Monitor 7 v3, CC-370 v2 and on February 8, I purchased new, sealed Mini Monitors v3 to go with my 25-31pc.

After unpacking and connecting the Mini Monitors, the first thing I hear is – a blown driver. I returned the speaker to the dealer the next day where their tech confirms I bought a brand new defective speaker. I’m told they will order the replacement driver and call me when it’s ready.

After a few days, I email Paradigm tech support to ask what the shipping times are and how I managed to buy a new, tested speaker that was defective. The tech apologizes, says those thing happens and the driver should ship soon. I still want details, so I email the same questions again and ask about any possible compensation. I receive a response from customer support apologizing, the driver will arrive by February 18.

Deciding email isn’t doing it, I call Paradigm, ask for customer support and describe my situation to the rep who turns out to be the same person who had responded to my second email. She apologizes, says those things happen and the driver will be there by the 18th. I then ask what would happen if it was a 3 hour drive each way and am told that wouldn’t make a difference, there’s nothing they can do. She also tells me the matter has been raised to the Quebec distributor and is now closed. I reply that I expected more in the way of customer support, she apologizes and says there is nothing they can do.

Today I spoke to the head of customer support who assures me this was a “minor defect” and it was handled in a timely and correct fashion and that is all they can do.

The driver arrived and was replaced yesterday (17th), I picked it up and connected it at home. The speaker seems fine.

I’m still surprised by the lack of concern from Paradigm. Am I expecting too much? Have I been spoiled by SVS and stories of Theta etc? I never thought Paradigm would FedEx a Signature 7.2 setup but I did think they would show me that my patronage was appreciated. Maybe an offer to upgrade or a discount on future purchases.

I’ll post any updates, but right now I’m not sure if I would purchase Paradigm again. If asked, my recommendation would be to check new Paradigms if traveling any kind of distance and not to expect anything other than the absolute bare minimum support after you’ve paid.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Personnally, under those circumstances, I would have demanded the retailer give me a new speaker.

Screw replacing the defective driver.

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the retailer should have offered to give you a new speaker and then handled the repair in-house. Your frustration should be with them, and not with Paradigm.

I've had this same situation, and the retailer (Stereoland of Minneapolis) was prompt and totally willing to do what it took to get me out the door with a good speaker. That was also Paradigm, by the way.

Now go relax, listen to your new system and have fun!

aaron campbell

Second Unit
It took me a month to get a part from them, 2 weeks before my dealer even placed the order. My next speaker upgrade won't be Paradigm, I'll be looking at Onix.

Aaron

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Greg,
How timely were they, I couldn't tell from your post?
What were you hoping for from them/Paradigm vs. your local dealer?
Did you at least get a really good deal on them?

Maybe you should return your speakers, b/c it seems like you are not a satisfied customer.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I would have hoped the dealer would have offered you another speaker.

I purchased a set of Paradigm Cinema 90's for my computer room, from A&B in Austin,TX. I had a defective Paradigm Cinema 90 that I brought back to the dealer later on that afternoon. None the less, they replaced it right on the spot.

I have seen them do this with a paradigm Monitor 9v2 that some guy brought in that he had for 5 months. So I guess it was a poor dealer experience.

Just my .02

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Greg, that totally sucks.
Your dealer should have just given you another spkr right on the spot. Especially since it was an outta box failure.

I could see if this was like an on-line shopping thing, but it wasn't. People ranting and raving about support your local B&M, but for what? If you went into Target with something you'd just bought that didn't work, they wouldn't say well, we'll send it in to the manufacturer and call you when it's comes back. NO they give you a new one right there.

Good luck with the rest of your stuff. Heaven forbid if something else goes out.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I know this is my 2nd post on the subject, but this one just really ticks me off, especially since Im getting ready to buy a paradigm set-up...

Admitedly, I know nothing about speakers or speaker construction, but the way I see it, you paid for a functioning, factory sealed brand new unit, and what you now have is a "refurb".

That would torque my toodle!

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
They pay cut-rate prices in Canada and get cut-rate service. Here in the USA at any dealer you would have had two choices: a brand new speaker or your money back. This type of service would be considered laughable. And Paradigm's attitude is priceless. Screw them. My experience with them has been HORRIBLE. They do not own up to problems and hide behind the dealer. I would never, ever buy or recommend Paradigm to my friends (maybe to my enemies).

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

Not to hijack the thread, but now Im seriously having second thoughts about buying paradigm... Tony, Would you suggest any alternatives in the same price range/performance.

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
They still buld some damn fine speakers though. I'm very pleased with my CC470 - it does the job of two large mediocre mains. I can almost unplug my mains and leave it to the center and SVS sub (but not quite). I can't wait to pair the center with Studio mains for a nice balance.

That's unfortunate you had a bad time with Paradigm. Your dealer should have had this handled much better. Swapped site on scene with them following up the replacement work on their own. That's what makes a reputable dealer to me. Fix it now, sort it out on business time later. Not waiting on parts when you have a new perfect unit sitting on the floor. Hope you never buy anything again on commission from that jackass.

I'd say your expectations were too high with Paradigm customer service too. To compare them to SVS is not realistic. SVS is small and tight knit - all the employees feel the success and failures of the business I'd imagine. They've got hands on capable leaders it seems. Look and Ron and Erik and all them - who can compete with service, suggestions, and feedback like that? Paradigm is corporate spearkerdom. We all know what big business leaves behind when chasing margins and market share.

On the flip side, and I mean this hypothetically, I'd expect better service from Paradigm IN SOME REGARDS than SVS being that SVS is not in retail stores. If my SVS has a problem, I have to deal with shipping (120 pounds Oh My God!) and freight - it was headache enough getting it here - R&R returns a super huge PITA. With the Digm I'd expect a simple walk to my retailer for a swap-out.

So each has their pros and cons. Its hard to get over the taste of poor service, but you should try not to let it affect your ear. Stick with what you like to hear. How often do you have to send in speakers for repairs these days anyway? I've never really thought of such a thing until now. I've never seen it.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Dude, this is DEFINATELY the retailer's fault, not Paradigm. You cant compare their customer service to SVS, they are factory direct, meaning they're the manufacturer AND the retailer. To answer your simple question, yes, you are expecting too much... from Paradigm. As others have said, your beef is with the retailer. With that kind of service, it begs a revisit to the age old argument of dealing with Brick and Morters vs. e-tailers (not that there are any places to buy Paradigm online). Supposedly you pay a premium at a B&M to get good, fast, direct service where you can drive over and drop your "problem" off. You got screwed because you paid the premium and didnt get the service.

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
I would have expected the dealer to hand over a new speaker that day.

My B&M not only discounts heavily for me, but will also replace a DOA item on the spot.

When I buy a new product at any store, home audio or not, I expect a DOA product to be swapped immediately during the first two weeks. I've never had a store suggest it any other way.

Your B&M dealer should have dealt with it, and sent the failed speaker back to paradigm for credit.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Is it just me or does this read like Greg expects to get free stuff from Paradigm because a driver that was blown got through inspection, delivery, or what have you?
Personally, I think the fact that they replaced the blown driver(in a timely fashion. It's not like you had to wait more than a week or two is it?) and apologized is enough. Ideally, the dealer should have swapped the speaker and then replaced the driver themselves not taking up any of your time but I really don't think you should expect any type of compensation for this, from the dealer of Paradigm.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Sounds like he waited 10 days for the driver. He bought them on 2/8 and got the driver on 2/18. Brand new, in the box. I so often hear that it's the dealer, when dealing with Paradigm's customer service issues. Well, who the hell authorizes the dealer? And doesn't Paradigm have a policy as to how their authorized dealer's should deal with this type of situation? Avoid Paradigm like the plague, IMHO.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor

Good companies to deal with (excellent customer service): NHT, Cambridge Soundworks, Axiom Audio, AV123, among those I have dealt with. I bought an NHT Superone a couple of years ago from the Wiz, open box. It had a blown woofer. Two days later I had a new woofer via Fedex from NHT. That, my friend, is customer service, not Paradigm's bull. If I hadn't bought the last pair of Superone's at my local Wiz (that was closing) I would have had a brand new pair within the afternoon.

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
Avoid them like the plague, Tony? Holy moly, man!

Paradigm screwed up on this one. Who or what company hasn't done that?

We are talking about SPEAKERS here people! Not a kidney for transplant. It's a hobby, and should be fun. Sometimes it's not, but you only make it worse by stewing, hoping to get something for nothing, and holding grudges.

Dudes got new speaks, now go listen to some music and relax.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
No, this is their policy. I've experienced it myself. They are a very customer UNfriendly company. Lots of companies make good speakers, some of them provide exemplary customer service. Paradigm (perhaps) excels at the former, they definitely do not excel at the latter. I prefer to give my money to companies that do both. I recommend to others that they do the same. It's your money, spend it as you sees fit.

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
Which part is their policy? The shipping of defective speakers? The replacement of them? I really don't understand your point. I still maintain that the dealer is the first line of defense on this. It could have been handled better, let's agree on that.

At any rate, let's just say that you have had poor service from Paradigm and it's obvious that you really dislike them because of it. 'Nuff said, and point very clearly made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks