1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

My old car

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by matthew_rm, Oct 2, 2002.

1. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Well-Known Member

Can I put premium fule in my 87 civic? (The car is getting slower, needs an oil change) I also want to put fule injector cleaner in. Should I just get an oil change? Will fule make a diffrence in THAT kind of a car?[​IMG] I will do an oil change in the next couple of day's.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Well-Known Member

The more carbon build up on your pistons the higher your compression ratio will get possibly necessitating the need for a higher octane fuel. Does this happen to all cars? No.

Double check your timing if it is changeable, use the fuel injector cleaner and definitely do the oil change. If after the timing check and fuel injector cleaner you don't feel any difference try running a higher octane fuel. If you don't feel any difference from that then it's just wearing out/gettin' old. Could have the compression checked if you've got the time, know how or money. It would tell you a lot about how the car is doing.

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Well-Known Member

Have you moved to a higher elevation or anything lately? Engines will actually lose compression rather than gain compression (of course depending on how many miles you have), because carbon build up will increase compression ratio's, but only if everything is sealing correctly still.
    Sounds like you just may have a lot of miles on the car.
    Also the more timing you run (advanced) the more you wil need a higher octane to prevent spark knonk (pre ignition).
    I am an old hot rod guy, so I run everything to their limits. So I always need premium. [​IMG]

4. AllanN

AllanN Well-Known Member

I switched to 93 octane on my 1988 Toyota and it ran great, allot better than 87 octane. If that helps any.

5. John Miles

John Miles Well-Known Member

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Premium
    Supporter

Carl III
    Your car isn't getting slower because of the fuel, it's because you're rolling an '87 Civic. I put the same low grade gas in both my '88 Daytona and my 2k1 Tacoma and for some reason the Tacoma drives better. Hell, I could put rocket fuel in the Daytona and the Tacoma would still run better.

7. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Well-Known Member

fuel injector cleaner is for fuel injected cars. Right? (my is not)
    235500 miles. Still runs with no problems!
    I run the car hard no matter what. (1.3L I4 [​IMG] )
    Octane boost COULD do something. I'll try it once. Anyways, where I live, there are no changes in elevation for 450 miles.

8. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Well-Known Member

How about a tune up?

Have you had a tune up lately?