What's new

My old car (1 Viewer)

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Can I put premium fule in my 87 civic? (The car is getting slower, needs an oil change) I also want to put fule injector cleaner in. Should I just get an oil change? Will fule make a diffrence in THAT kind of a car?:) I will do an oil change in the next couple of day's.
Thanks for any help.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
The more carbon build up on your pistons the higher your compression ratio will get possibly necessitating the need for a higher octane fuel. Does this happen to all cars? No.

Double check your timing if it is changeable, use the fuel injector cleaner and definitely do the oil change. If after the timing check and fuel injector cleaner you don't feel any difference try running a higher octane fuel. If you don't feel any difference from that then it's just wearing out/gettin' old. Could have the compression checked if you've got the time, know how or money. It would tell you a lot about how the car is doing.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Have you moved to a higher elevation or anything lately? Engines will actually lose compression rather than gain compression (of course depending on how many miles you have), because carbon build up will increase compression ratio's, but only if everything is sealing correctly still.
Sounds like you just may have a lot of miles on the car.
Also the more timing you run (advanced) the more you wil need a higher octane to prevent spark knonk (pre ignition).
I am an old hot rod guy, so I run everything to their limits. So I always need premium. :)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I switched to 93 octane on my 1988 Toyota and it ran great, allot better than 87 octane. If that helps any.

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
The more carbon build up on your pistons the higher your compression ratio will get possibly necessitating the need for a higher octane fuel. Does this happen to all cars? No.
If you're not hearing pinging, that's not what's happening, and premium gas is a waste of money.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Your car isn't getting slower because of the fuel, it's because you're rolling an '87 Civic. I put the same low grade gas in both my '88 Daytona and my 2k1 Tacoma and for some reason the Tacoma drives better. Hell, I could put rocket fuel in the Daytona and the Tacoma would still run better.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
fuel injector cleaner is for fuel injected cars. Right? (my is not)
235500 miles. Still runs with no problems!
I run the car hard no matter what. (1.3L I4 :) )
Octane boost COULD do something. I'll try it once. Anyways, where I live, there are no changes in elevation for 450 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks