What's new

My New SVS Twins Have Arrived!... (1 Viewer)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Just for the record...pics of the B4+ "Black Beauty" twins' uncrating proceedings were sent to Robb.
He'll be posting them as soon as he is able.
I hope you folks find them of some interest and value...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Ok, dear friends...pics of the B4+ "Black Beauty" twins are up, brought to you by, and thanks to Robb's selfless generosity.

Any one interested in checking pics of their uncrating process and temporary location can do so by accessing Robb's Website at: www.robbroy.net/Frank/.

One thing I should state right now while we're at it: the magnetic field produced by the B4+s is so powerful that wound up messing up (caused horrendous discoloration!) the picture tube of the Sony XBR40/800 40" TV set all to hell even though the one sub that can be seen nearby was actually placed three or four feet away! And I originally thought about placing both of 'em puppies behind the TV set! :eek:
Anyway, the "offending" B4+ sub was moved further away from the set. That cured the problem to an extent as the set exhibited little or no discoloration after being turned off and back on in order to "purify" (degauss) the picture tube.

I suspect that such super-strong magnetism also caused over-saturation of the small Athena L&R and center channel mini-monitors' own magnetic structures, thus acerbating the problem even more.
Something to keep in mind when placing subwoofers near CRT-based video display devices, that's for sure...

-THTS

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Frank:

Thanks for the pics. You can always upload pictures to our theaters gallery from your PC. I want pictures of the other 8 CS subs too.

Parker

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
frank,

is that your HT system? dont you think its a little unbalanced???? those little bookshelf speakers probably just get LOST!

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"frank,

"is that your HT system? dont you think its a little unbalanced???? those little bookshelf speakers probably just get LOST!"

He, he, he... :) What you see in the pics is what I call "small HT system." It's based around the big Sony 40" CRT set. This set up allows displaying of high-definition video sources via a Samsung SIR-T165 OTA STB (it also up-converts standard resolution video signals to a 1080i level) and JVC 40K and Mitsubishi 2000U D-VHS tape decks.

This HT system's low end is usually taken care of by a pair of rather small prototype bandpass subs I purchased for $75 :D from a now defunct local speaker manufacturer (the same one who also built me two 300 pound coffin-sized, 15" bass driver-based sealed Isobarik subwoofers long time ago--paid $350 for the pair! :D --who also developed and built what I've been using as main 4-way L&R transducers, plus three pairs of 2-way sealed small surround sound monitors), but chose to try the B4+s in this set up first before moving the large beasts to their intended, permanent location: the "BIG" HT system...

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Folks, please be a bit patient! :) Pics of the 16-46 octet will be taken and posted soon...but not before some badly needed clean up and other maintenance work around them is performed... :b

-THTS

Richard_M

Second Unit
Frank...

I wouldn't worry about all the problems being exposed to excess subsonic frequencies, think about the positive side of it - The Magnetic Therapeutic properties, I mean people have been using magnets for years for things like arthritis, maybe you could rent your room out by the hour for people requiring this sort of therapeutic therapy.

Next question I hope you have shares in the electricity company, you will be one of their bigger clients :D

BTW they look great :emoji_thumbsup:

Happy listening...

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I wouldn't worry about all the problems being exposed to excess subsonic frequencies, think about the positive side of it - The Magnetic Therapeutic properties, I mean people have been using magnets for years for things like arthritis, maybe you could rent your room out by the hour for people requiring this sort of therapeutic therapy."

Ah, a man of great creativity powers! Good idea, mate!! :D

On a more serious note...I think I better become a bit more concerned about infrasonics!
I say this because Chris' recommended article turned out to be quite an eye opener; it appears that European folks are far more attuned (no pun!) to that subject matter than we are here in the American continent, and for good reasons: there seems to be a lot of research been performed in the science field of infrasonics than I would have ever thought possible, research that apparently have yielded substantial amounts of important relevant data, so perhaps we should become better acquainted with pertinent details regarding that particular field as well...

"Next question I hope you have shares in the electricity company, you will be one of their bigger clients."

Funny you mention that...but I do own a modest amount of shares in my local electrical utility company; is part of my retirement (401K). I also happen to work for the electric company (35 years of service)! :D
Too bad I lost most of those 401K savings during the severe screwing received by the state of California from the evil Enron conglomerate at the onset of the electrical de-regulation in 2000, though. :frowning: These days am merely attempting to catchup, also hoping to make a little money being that the company stock shares are becoming more valuable as time goes by. Oh, well...such is life...
But you're right: I am one of the Public Electrical Utility company's bigger clients! :D
As prof of that all any one has to do is to simply check my electrical monthly billing--wow! :eek:

"BTW they look great"

Yep...SVS sure does a very nice finishing job, don't they?!. Thanks for noticing... :)

-THTS

'...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Folks,

I am waiting to hear from a good acquaintance of mine, the guy who is selling me one of them latest Pioneer multi-channel audio receivers models...the sort that allegedly sets up speakers automatically via an included mike.
He just got an updated model (it has Firewire interfacing facilities, so that made him happy), thus opted to put the other one up for sale. After some haggling back and forth we finally settled on a specific price.

Am getting the Pioneer receiver, which was originally priced over $4K (SMRP), for a fraction of its original cost (and on a payment plan to boot! :D ).
This receiver will be used to replace a fairly new Sony receiver (got it at a very low price from an on-line vendor) that currently provides controlling of all audio sources because it failed to output subwoofer signals (thus can't use my subwoofers) right out of the box. Rats!

The Pioneer receiver will be used in the "small" HT system. It is the one that will provide subwoofer output signals control to amplifiers in order to test/audition the B4+ "Black Beauty" twins with.

By the way, I had to move the B4+ subs a bit further away from the TV set and main speakers location once again because the magnetic fields being generated by their drivers' magnet assemblies were still causing discoloration problems with the 40" CRT display! :eek: Unbelievable...simply unbelievable...

-THTS

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker

Just wait until you see how messed up your set becomes once you start driving them with the 2K Crowns. You are going to have to have an magnetic isolation grid between your subs and TV just so you can watch the TV at all. :eek:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Parker - You make a good point. We have ONE B4+ in a 5700^3 foot room, and after some work calibrating, and Eqing it... I have yet to hear anything better... the sound quality is astounding. This includes auditions of the Theil, Aerial, and dual HGS-18's (the DD-18's were out of stock) ...

All that being said, I mentioned getting a second one to my wife, and she gave a resounding NO ... of course, even with one we are not even close to tapping its potential.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Just wait until you see how messed up your set becomes once you start driving them with the 2K Crowns. You are going to have to have an magnetic isolation grid between your subs and TV just so you can watch the TV at all. :eek: "

I already have a good idea of that...and the B4+ twins are not even connected to an amp yet! :eek:
I can see that is going to be somewhat problematic to audition/assess the subs in their temporary location, but the upside is that they eventually will be relocated in the "big" HT room...where projection (Dukane 9015 D-ILA display--same as JVC G-15--film, and 12 foot wide scope-ratioed screen) is the order of the day exclusively...when the system is up and running, that is... :frowning:

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Fyi:

I have sent couple of more pics of the B4+ subs' uncrating/unpacking stages to Robb for posting in his site.
Am doing this because some folks have asked to be shown something wich can give them an idea of just how big the twins are, so for comparison purposes I've sent him two in which my son Steve can be seen unpacking and loading one of the Black Beauty twins on the handcart. Check it out and see what you folks think.

While I am at it...I'll be taking some pics of my former coffin-sized Isobarik subbass system and post them so you folks can see how huge they really are (both now residing in the backyard under a shade......feeling very hurt and awfully left out!). I hope to do it soon.

Cheers!... :)

-THTS

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Frank,

I've loaded those photos onto the site. I just inserted them into the timeline of the other photos, but labeled beginning with "Frank's son Steve...". For reference, how big is your son? I mean, if he's in the fourth grade, it doesn't provide much reference, does it? :)

http://www.robbroy.net/Frank/

-Robb

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I think it might be possible Frank made his son Steve start school four years late so he could be around for the CS deliveries:D It took four years for SVS to be able to fill Frank's order you know.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"For reference, how big is your son? I mean, if he's in the fourth grade, it doesn't provide much reference, does it?"

Oops! Sorry for omitting such vital information! :b

I should have included that my son Steve is 34 years old, a university graduate, six foot high...185-195 Lbs.
Hope this helps clearing up the size ratio issue... :D

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I think it might be possible Frank made his son Steve start school four years late so he could be around for the CS deliveries It took four years for SVS to be able to fill Frank's order you know."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

-THTS

KenKusan

Grip
Frank,
How much did you have to pay for the shipping and customs?
Did you have to pay any taxes? I'm just curious, as I may order something from SVS some time in the future...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks