What's new

My NEW sub... (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I had been talking to SVS about an upgrade path and I was looking at one of the cylinders, possibly a Plus because I have a fairly large room and the PB-10 always did well, but wasn't quite moving enough air for this room - 19x20, high vaulted ceiling, open to the kitchen (total is ~5K+ cf). Around the same time, I was talking to a buddy of mine who likes to build his own subs and he mentioned he was almost done with his new project, so I asked what he was doing with the old one..."I'm selling it. Why, you interested?" ....:D

Check out these numbers in my room (corrected, NO EQ):

Freq. dB
160 - 75.5
142.5 - 74.5
125 - 81.5
111 - 82
100 - 84
89 - 86.5
80 - 89.5
71 - 81.5
63 - 87.5
56 - 80.5
50 - 81.5
45 - 85
40 - 87.5
36 - 86.5
31.5 - 87
28 - 83
25 - 83
22 - 79.5
20 - 79.5
18 - 78
16 - 74.5

Calibrated from listening position. Gain is at just about 30% on the amp which means there's a LOT more available, subsonic filter set to 14Hz (sub is tuned to 17Hz). It's flatter than my PB-10 at the top, though I still have some squiggles in the 125-63 range. Overall, I'm very impressed with this guy. The first time I fired it up, with 50% gain without calibrating, I was literally startled by the output

I popped in Master & Commander because it was the first thing on hand, and all I could muster was a stupid grin and "Holy crap." The rumble from the cannons was simply jaw dropping. I tried out a number of the standards; all being quite impressive. I have not tried out Incredibles or "Darla" yet, but it should suffice to say, this one is a keeper. I do have pics, but I'll have to shrink them down to post them later. I still have the PB-10 too......though it will be up for sale soon (there are a few people in line, if those don't happen it will be up).

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dat sub is woke'n... :)

Can we get an idea of what you paid for it????

I know it is a little rude, but it sounds like you may have gotten a deal of the century with those numbers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's a secret :) You really don't want to know...though I will say it definitely is up for an award for deal of the century :D Many thanks to Jeff for the deal!!!

Not exactly petite (not it's final home, it went in the corner):
http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41ce5...4rKoDBEIAf3snE
But you can't see it at all with the way my system is set up.

It's a 73L cylinder, 48" tall, 18" in diameter, tuned to 17Hz I believe. Downfiring dual VC 4 Ohm 12" Adire Tempest driver, single top firing port (low Q design).

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
John, not that it really matters, but could you check with your buddy again about what the design is. Are you sure it isn't a Shiva instead of a Tempest. Also allowing 8" of the height to be legs and end caps that works out to an ~160L enclosure. Take away port and driver area and you get an enclosure that is pretty close to the EBS allignement recommended by Adire. Or in other words, something very close to a SVS 16-46CS.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's great. When you are ready to upgrade again (and you will), drop by the DIY section and we can help. We may even be able to re-use your current enclosure.

-Robert

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's an older sub, I think he built it a few years ago (so it's only new to ME, not new). He definitely built it before the drivers were discontinued. Maybe it is a Shiva though. I didn't check the measurements of the cabinet volume, I just looked at the site figuring what they had listed were still the old drivers, since the new ones haven't been released. Jeff said it was called a low Q design because it used a single, long port and has lower output but also lower extension; it's very clean. I don't remember who gave him the specs to build this guy (possible Adire), but it isn't a "normal" alignment. So 160L? When are the new drivers scheduled to be released?

Will do. I can't see needing more than this for the forseeable future, but you never know :D Thanks. I've built my own subs before (sealed dual 10") with great results, but nothing like this guy.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Sounds like a monster for sure. Congrats.

I'm eagerly waiting for my new HSU STF-3 to be delivered today.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oops. I thought it was weird that it was a 18" tube and such a large volume for a 12" driver. It's a 15" Tempest, NOT a 12" driver, which I guess would have made it a Shiva, as was mentioned by Robert_J.

Can I just say that War of the Worlds was pretty scary with this thing? :D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
That's sounds better. I've got a Tempest in 260L, welcome to the club ;)

PS - I think the closest comparison to your Tempest in the SVS line would be the Ultra.

mackie

Supporting Actor

Ain't this hobby fun when you get a real improvement from an upgrade that doesn't cost a bundle:D

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Given that the sub is probably a few years old, the driver could actually be the Mark III flavor of the Shiva driver. The Mark IV had a few improvements. I'd definately be eyeing the Adire site when the new drivers get released. I suspect they're very involved in the OEM process and the drivers that would be available for use DIY folks will have a 2nd priority. Hard to tell when they'll actually hit the street, though.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I talked to the guy, he said it is in fact a Tempest. I'm going to drop by his place to hear his new sub in the next week or so :)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
"Can I just say that War of the Worlds was pretty scary with this thing?"

John...you ought to hear this soundtrack handled by twin SVS B12-Plus/4 subs: truly scary!... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

steve nn

Senior HTF Member

It seems like I've heard this before?:) Going from a very capable 10" driver design to the same in a 15" Tempest design has to really have you smiling. I'm glad it worked out so well$$..Secretly I have been hoping you would move up into something more suited for your room.

Congrats! John:emoji_thumbsup:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
link

That's it before it went into it's home behind the system where it's not visible from the viewing position. The cylinder actually takes up less floor space than the PB-10 did and it fits perfectly back there :)

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks