What's new

My new SACD manifesto (1 Viewer)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Lee:

My two-channel system consists of B&W Nautilus 804s, Classe CAP-101 integrated amp and Sony SCD-222ES SACD changer; DH Labs biwire speaker cables and Tara Labs interconnects. It's a high-end system, meaning redbook CDs (those produced well) sound incredible. Problem is, no one I know can tell the difference between redbook and SACD when they listen to my system. I know, but I bought the discs.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
At this point there are so few single-layer discs coming out. I don't think that's going to be a factor in the future. However, Sony chooses to let all those single-layers stay in release rather than replace them, STUPID and shortsighted!!!!! I'd buy any single-layer that I really wanted as I can make CD's or MD's of them. I wouldn't presume that all that many of Sony's S-L's will become hybrids in the future, but who knows...????

Mark, there's more potential in your SACD's than maybe you know. My XA777ES has needed servicing and when it's gone I hook up my 222ES in it's stead on my 2-channel system. There is a big difference between those components and how they howl. I'd suggest that the 222 is some beneath your other stuff based on my experience.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. There are so many hybrids I want to get, why the hell should I bother with anything else?

I guess the issues of convenience, sound quality, and portability are worth different things to different people. I prefer to keep them about the same.

And all of Sony's ES models are high-end.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor

Are you people for real?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but if I had Nautilus 802s and Classe Omega monoblocks, I might agree. But I don't. I've owned Rotel, Marantz and California Audio Labs CD players and the Sony ES, to my amazement, is equal to these brands with redbook. So I conclude that it is more than up to the task of playing SACD. Which means SACD, at least two channel IMO, is not gee-whiz enough to warrant repurchasing discs--especially single layer. Hybrids are the only way to go.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I was specifically referring to the Peter Gabriel discs you mentioned. I love these albums but it isn't worth buying them twice; the latest Redbook remasters and the single-layer SACDs are too close (no, not identical) and it is damned ignorant to want fans to buy two copies to have the best home version and best car/portable version.

Plus, he is already talking about remixing them all in surround for high-res. Avoid the current SACDs at all cost.

It is dumb as hell that discs like this are released single-layer. Pure folly and ignorance. I guess Peter Gabriel isn't popular enough to get a SonyBucks (tm) subsidy to cover the loss in revenue that would be incurred by releasing these as single-layer single-inventory. He doesn't sell as much as Dylan or the Stones so no SonyBucks for him.

In other words, I might have a yen for Peter Gabriel music, but Sony has no yen for Peter Gabriel. :D

The mastering of a release is far more important than whether it is released on CD or SACD. Those who buy 'for the music' instead of 'for the format' understand this. And like Mike said, instead of spending twice the money on all our our albums (and using twice the shelf/storage space), there are other releases we can spend our money on. Because we do love the music.

Single layer discs need to just die. Refusing to patronize something so stupid does not mean that you aren't a music fan.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm definitely nuts Mark. You should try it! If you ever spend much time with an XA777 or the maybe the new 9000 player, you may get bewitched too? ;) :)

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit

So you think the Rotel and Marantz and CAL are high-end redbook players? Hmmmmm

Your high-end and my high-end don't equate.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Yeah. Maybe if there wasn't so much other stuff I wanted to get, it would be different. But I could easily list a hundred jazz CDs I want, I just started getting into Van Morrison and want to start exploring Little Feat, and definitely want to expand my small classical collection as I'm learning about late Romantic music. That's a lot of music I want! I'm just re-focusing on that instead of the formats and sometimes small differences in sound between them, as is the case with the Police.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

You are very true here Mike, especially if you dont mind buying music from the various CD clubs. From BMG I can get 10-15 discs with a new membership for the same price as a couple SACD from one of the boutique labels. When there are not major differences in sound quality and budgets are not unlimited, the math is easy to do. Redbook will win out everytime for the music for your buck.

J

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Chide me Justin! I'm the one who tried to suggest to Mark that stereo SACD had a higher ceiling than maybe he knew. "...hit me with your rythmn stick, hit me, hit me..." Thanks to Ian of Dury.;)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Except that CD clubs don't have a lot of music I like, but I still find ways of making them useful.

But when I do buy SACDs, it is almost always boutique, because their discs are all hybrid.

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
I'm of the DVD-Audio camp. Although I've been playing these discs on a regular Dolby Digital 5.1 and not the "hi-res" 5.1. I compared the two and only noticed a slight improvement in sound.

And any when DSOTM came out last summer, instead of buying a universal DVD-V/A- SACD machine, I purchased the heavy vinyl reissue and listened to it for days both in stereo and Dolby Pro Logic II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks