1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

My new revelation - 70s TV wasn't that bad!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Neil Brock, May 27, 2013.

1. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Some humor, yes, but very formulaic and rather drab. To each his own but Sanford and Son was much better.

2. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Well-Known Member

I thought All in the Family and Sanford and Son were both hysterical. The Jeffersons was funny as well. Never liked Maude as it was one-sided and Bea Arthur is tough to take.

3. Ron1973

The Jefferson was quite hysterical; George was Archie in black skin to quite a huge extent.

My favorite Sanford and Son moment was when Esther and Fred were into (as usual). She told Fred that "when I was born, my body was blessed by Mother Nature, honey!" Fred looked at her and replied "yeah, and as you got older, it was CURSED by Father Time!"

4. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Well-Known Member

Frank
    It's only my personal opinion but I never cared for sitcoms that were overly political. To me, if I show is going to take a political stand, it should be in a dramatic series, not a comedy that primarily depends on laughs to entice viewers. Like Neil, I also did not enjoy the complete onesideness of the Lear shows. It reminds me of a more recent show I cant stomach, Designing Women. In EVERY episode of that series, the formula was to tackle some social or political issue and then have Dixie Carter do some kind on extended monologue functioning as nothing more than a ventriloquist dummy for Linda Bloodsworth Thomason's "views."

5. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Well-Known Member

I don't recall "All in the Family" being formulaic or drab. But then I believe I only watched the first 2 seasons or so. It may have gotten that way in later seasons. But the stuff I saw was generally quite interesting in a dramatic way, in the way it had characters of different mindsets involved in assorted cultural/ethnic/political collisions. E.g, the one where Cleavon Little and Demond Wilson (pre-Sanford) play burglars who do a home invasion of the Bunker household and get into an exchange about race and economics with Archie and the family. Fanciful, yes, considering how home invasions usually played out, but not formulaic or drab. And there was the one where Archie gets stuck on an elevator with a bourgeois black man played by Roscoe Lee Browne and a Puerto Rican blue collar guy, played by Hector Elizondo, whose pregnant wife gives birth in the elevator. Eileen Brennan was in the episode also.

6. Ron1973

I think it's like the old saying that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. It's been a while since I've watched and I'm sure I'm colored/influenced from watching it as a teenager and as a kid on network TV before that. If I watched it today I might find something different that I liked. Don't get me wrong, it had its moments but it just never had the "pace" of other shows like Sanford and Son, at least not to me.

7. Neil Brock

Which pretty much explains the characters in every David E. Kelley series.

8. Neil Brock

Politics aside, All in the Family was a great comedy and I know people from both sides of the political fence who agree. Interesting article in today's paper with the point being that TV today is ripe for a similar show:

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/columnists/anne-michaud/michaud-who-are-today-s-archie-bunkers-1.5416758

9. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Well-Known Member

Henry.
    Both based on British shows too; Till Death Do Us Part (1965-75) and Steptoe and Son (1962-74), respectively.

PatrickGoodluck likes this.
  10. Neil Brock

Just watched a couple of the lesser known Quinn Martin shows this weekend. Bert D'Angelo Superstar and Most Wanted. Both are pretty good although I can't say I'm crazy about Paul Sorvino as either a cop or as the lead in a show. I don't find him very likeable and think he's better as a heavy. Most Wanted is like a 1970s Untouchables with emphasis more on the villains and guest stars, which makes for a more interesting show.

11. Kasey

Kasey Well-Known Member

Kasey
    I remember Most Wanted airing Saturdays at 10 when I was 8 years old, but don't recall the details of any episodes. In that time slot ABC also aired Dog and Cat (starring Kim Basinger and Lou Antonio) which seemed pretty gritty to me at the time as well as The Feather and Father Gang (with Stefanie Powers and Harold Gould) which I think was lighter, less violent and more a con-game show than crime drama. ABC had a hard time finding a hit show during 1976-77 for the Saturday 10 PM time slot.