What's new

My new HT is on the way!!! (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You can probably do the speaker setup better yourself but many members like the results the automatic room eq programs come up with. Personally, I have to make minor adjustments to those as well but they are a good starting point. Audyssey uses up to 8 mic positions but Pioneer's MCACC just uses one (by design). That's why the Advanced Version of MCACC has 6 seperate equilizers. So you can place the mic in six seperate seating positions and run the program six times. Change your seat and you change the MCACC preset. But I use my presets in a different manner since like Jim, I'm always in the sweet spot. I don't have a tripod either. I tape the mic to the bottom of an old Rayovac flashlight and stand it up-right on a box or something :blush: . But hey, it works (sort of ;) .

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jim Mcc said:
Just because something is high tech doesn't make it better. You hear that, all you youngins out there? :)
Hey, I've got a '69 AH Sprite...you don't get much more low-tech... And higher-tech(like my Miata) doesn't mean I get bigger grins...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, funny story about my Sprite. I bought this one in 1997. I found a club to join. I go to the first meeting driving the Sprite... What do I find in the parking lot of the restaurant? A bunch of Miata's...

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
So I got my sub finally (Outlaw LFM-1 Plus) it's pretty bad ass but I'm trying to tweak my sound. Here's my current settings, if you can see something that's off at all let me know. I think the Sub settin at -12dB is weird? I'm geting great bass, Listening to a bunch of Dubstep tracks.. I never knew why people liked it until this morning my daughter was like "dad you should listed to this on those speakers" wow pretty cool stuff!! I have my sub in-between the couch and recliner so it might be getting muffled a little. My only other option is behing the couch kind of in the corner.. Otherwise I have to pull the sub wire that I have routed through the floor, basement and up the other side of the room lol. OK Here's what I have Sub Level -12.0 dB Dialogue -2.0dB Restorer Off Audio Delay 0ms MultEQ XT Audyssey Dynamic EQ On Reference offset 0dB Dynamic Volume off Speakers Small Subwoofer Mode LFE LPF for LFE 120 Hz Crossover Front 80Hz Center 80Hz Surround 100hz Sub is set, Auto, Max Output, bypass, volume is at about 6 (1 oclock) See anything that might need to be changed in here?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You probably need to turn the gain down on the sub itself. -12 is as far as the AVR itself can go...You want all the the "gains" as close to 0 as possible...where you have a gain to choose at the other end... By the way, the "only way" to have all the gains at 0 would be if you sat all 5 speakers(not counting the sub) at equal distances from your sweet spot...not very many of us can do that...and still "live in the room"...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes. Basically the AVR at -12 is "too loud" for the sub...it needs backed off... If you have it all the way up, put it around 60%...re-run correction...adjust accordingly. Anything -/+3 is fine. But -12 is way outside...

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
So I turn the gain on the sub down and re run Audyssey instead of just manually adjusting the Bass Level parameter in the receiver?

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Dont mean to ask stupid questions, but what's the difference between getting to +-3 in the receiver or just adjusting the gain on the sub to where it sounds good?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since your receiver is at -12 (the lowest setting) for the LFE/sub out, that means the sub is turned up too loud. The receiver adjusted itself as much as possible during the auto calibration routine. And it can go the other way as well if the LFE out was set to +12. You want to be somewhere in the middle and the best option is 0 on the receiver's sub setting. Also, if you get too high, you can also clip the pre-amp signal. That clipped signal is fed into the sub amp which just makes it worse.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Hmm, ok I guess I'll have to play with it tonight. I was looking at Audysseys directions on their site and it looks like I was setting the mic out too far from the center of the room in some of the positions too.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Fellow member David Willow has the Audyssey Setup Guild in his signature. It's been helpfull to a lot of members. It take's two to three minutes to load so be patient. http://www.willowville.net/ht/Audyssey%20Setup%20Guide.pdf

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
So say I run Audyssey again and get it tweaked to within +-3 and then the bass isn't loud enough.. Would I use the receiver to turn it up or the volume know on the sub?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Final "tweek" should be the gain knob on the sub. Cause most people end up liking about a 10% increas in gain...then you can use the AVR for fine tune. But yeah, you want your baseline in the AVR +/-3.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Wow I found a good forum about my specific sub over at AVS.. I've been running it WAY too hot. General consensus is the gain should be set to 2-3 on the sub.. Sounds crazy though, what's the sense in having a 350w amp if you can't even turn it up??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks