What's new

My new B & W speakers. (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Philip I see you use the DM2 for a center. How do you like it for a center?
I absolutely adore it.

I am an "Identical speaker" evangelist. (Though my rears do not match my fronts, they are very close.) The same exact model speaker across the front soundfield is a dramatic improvement over any so-called "matched center". As a matter of fact, I think that the Woofer/Tweeter configuration of my DM602 is inherently superior sonically to any MTM configured speaker.

Honestly, I've heard some pretty serious high end stuff, including my HTF friend Phil A's high-end Theil/Bryston setup, and nothing I've heard has left me wanting for an upgrade. I personally think the 602s are fantastic for music, particularly with a good front end. Some would probably say that running separates into 602s is a bit much, but not me. Personally, at price level of some of the more expensive B&Ws, I prefer lower end Theils or better yet (to saftisfy my "identical all around" sensibilities) Genelec integrated biamped studio monitors.

I have to say, that having three identicals in the front is a dramatic reason why I like the 602s. It's really stunning for all multichannel sources, particularly for multichannel music (though stereo sounds damn good in my room also).

greg_bun

Grip
Philip -
What stand are you using for the DM602's? What are it's dimensions - height, top plate width/depth?

I've seen quite a few pics of home theater setups and in many the center channel is not at the same level as the 2 front speakers. I've thought that all three should be close to same height to give a better soundfield. In my situation, I would have a hard time making the center the same height as the two fronts, no matter what model I eventually end up with. Is there a way to account for this in a receiver's setup?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've seen quite a few pics of home theater setups and in many the center channel is not at the same level as the 2 front speakers. I've thought that all three should be close to same height to give a better soundfield. In my situation, I would have a hard time making the center the same height as the two fronts, no matter what model I eventually end up with. Is there a way to account for this in a receiver's setup?
No receiver settings can compensate for room/environment changes like you've described. However, it helps a great deal to get the tweeters as close as possible on a horizontal plane.

greg_bun

Grip
After much thinking and listening, I purchased 2 602's for the front, 2 601's for the rear and the LCR600 center. The store did not have them in stock - will be next weekend before I get to pick them up. I want to thank all for the valuable input. While I felt the CM and CDM had the edge in sound reproduction, after much A/B switching between various speakers, the 602's were very very close to the more expensive ones. The 603/604 just seemed dull or muted to me.
I am very satisfied I made the right choice - now to just get them home!!

I have two speaker stands I bought some time ago that are 29" high - was thinking I would put the 601's on them. The top plate would be the right size - will have to see how sturdy they are however. I will need some isolation pads - where can I find them? Will those stands be high enough for surround?

And for the 602's I will need a good set - was thinking of the Sanus SF22b - 22" high metal and fillable. Would that be a good height for the 602?

Paul.Little

Stunt Coordinator
IMO the new DM603 series 3s are substantially better than the the old series 2s, and also sound a lot better than the DM602s.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
We have had a house full of people due to a death in the family so I have not had a chance to fully dial my 602 S3's in or the LCR 600. Today I had a chance/felt like playing a little and decided to recalibrate with the C/EQ engaged along with incorporating my AV15 into the mix also and finding just the right toe/angle. I had to really cut back the gain to my duel SVS's but I think I might have it?? One fairly decent ride imo.
>
I think I'll pick up a couple of the 601's next for the surrounds.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
I rencently purchased B&W DM 602 S3 for music (stereo) playback - they're simply superb.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Phil. Thankfully we were prepared if there is such a thing? Thank you for your earlier reply to your take on the 2 as a center. I went ahead and tried that out also yesterday. I can understand your satisfaction with the option you have chose.
>
Seth, that's good to here. I have seen your name plenty of times and I'm trying to place you with a sub. Do you run a 20-39 with your 2's?

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
I'm jealous. :frowning:

Still stuck on my DM303s here. Not to say I'm not happy, but having heard the 602s I definitely wish I could afford some.

Hope you enjoy them! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ken Arnold

Agent
Real Name
Ken Arnold
I'm looking at upgrading to 802's or Sonus Faber Cremonas
Frank,

I'm stressing out over that very decision right now. The WAF is much higher on the Sonus Faber's as we had an excellent demo and NEVER heard the Matrix like that. We only heard the B&W 803's and she wasn't as impressed as with even the Vienna Acoustics Mozart/Maestro/Hayden setup, much less the Sonus Faber Cremona's.

My wife's approach to this upgrade (currently have M&K 750's) is, "Spend as much money as you want, get what you want, and then I don't want to hear the word 'upgrade' again for 10 years!" ;)

Have you heard the Cremona's and B&W 802's in a comparible demo? What're your thoughts?

Thanks.

Ken

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have to agree I definitely am liking my B&W setup.

L/R Front: DM604 S3s
Center: LCR 600 S3
L/R Surround: DM602 S3s
Back Surround: DM601 S3s
Sub: SVS PCi 20-39

I have to say though, that when I first got them home I liked them...but was a little disappointed with them. I thought they sounded decent but really was contemplating if I had made a mistake. I listen just about 55/45 for HT/Music. So it's close. I went with the 604s over all 602s for the reason of playing music and not wanting to have to worry about using a sub - initial thinking. I do have to admit that I like the 602s maybe, just maybe a tad bit better than the 604s...but the 604s make up for it in a "fuller" and "lower" sound. Now that all the speakers have started to open up (gotten about 30 - 40 hours on them)...I have to say I am very happy I went with the 604s instead of 602s...they fit me a lot better and was just what I was looking for. Plus they look pretty cool too. :)

In my honest opinion with getting the SVS, I think I could've gone with 602s all around and been perfectly happy. I might still replace the 601s with 602s, but until I get the HT space finished and can put them in their place I just couldn't do it room wise.

All in all, I have nothing but good things to say about B&W...well just make sure you let them break in and open up before you really start listening to them!

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, You are correct on the break in. I know when I ordered my 9Nt's I brought home some floor models and used them for almost 2 weeks before mine came in. When I brought my new ones home there was a huge difference between the broken in floor models and the new ones. Actually I just mentioned to my wife last night that they keep getting better and I have a lot of hours on them at this point.
Jeff

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Frank,

I'm stressing out over that very decision right now. The WAF is much higher on the Sonus Faber's as we had an excellent demo and NEVER heard the Matrix like that. We only heard the B&W 803's and she wasn't as impressed as with even the Vienna Acoustics Mozart/Maestro/Hayden setup, much less the Sonus Faber Cremona's.

My wife's approach to this upgrade (currently have M&K 750's) is, "Spend as much money as you want, get what you want, and then I don't want to hear the word 'upgrade' again for 10 years!"

Have you heard the Cremona's and B&W 802's in a comparible demo? What're your thoughts?
Ken, I haven't heard a side by side comparison with these 2 speakers but I can say that they are very different from each other, IOW, the Cremona's have a very smooth midrange, the best I've heard, highs are a bit relaxed(compared to the B&W's), bass a little loose(nice though).
If I was listening mainly to music, I would opt for the Cremona's, to me they just sound sweet with any kind of music and I can use tubes to drive them.
The 802's would be my choice for HT but the 802's would require me to biamp since I like to use tubes, no problem though because I have an Aragon 8008BB to call on if that were to happen.
It's really a tossup, they are both nice speakers but sound very different. The Cremona's are a work of art and smaller than the 802's, easier to move around and use a smaller footprint.
The Sonus Faber center channel speaker is $4,500(with stand) I believe and the B&W HTM-1 is a lot cheaper, that might be something to consider. Good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks