1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

My lighted movie poster frame is finally done.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris Hovanic, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Well-Known Member

After weeks and weeks of planing and trying to find time I finally got my light box done.

It would have been done 2 days ago but I built the first box the wrong depth [​IMG]

I utilized a front-load frame and used a 24' rope light to provide the lighting. the backing of the light box is a 1/4 sheet of the white melimine (its used on cheaper cabinets) which reflets the light nicely. I also broke down and bought a sheet of white plastic (1/32" thick) to defuse the light.

Before I attached the frame to the box I added some black foam striping (used for canopys on trucks) to seal in the light.

Well here is the link (pics kinda stink... the wife has my digital camera so these were taken with my video camera... Ill post more when I get the camera back [​IMG]

2. Glenise

Glenise Well-Known Member

3. BrianKR

BrianKR Well-Known Member

It looks awesome!
    Do you have it wired to a wall switch or dimmer?
    Are you planning on making more?

That was a great idea!
    Where did you find the white plastic sheets?

4. Chris Hovanic

I only really have room for one. Though I may make one for work.[​IMG]

It is not wired to switch or dimmer. I will plug it in to a x10 lamp mod and control it that way. To hide the cord I coverd it with some black techflex. You can hardly see it against my dark walls, plus it drops behind the couch pretty quick.

White plastic sheets I found at Tap Plastic

5. Roy Lumsden

Roy Lumsden Member

Very nice [​IMG] ! I was wondering if the rope lights were bright enough for a poster box. It's hard to tell from the pictures but do you feel that the need to be brighter?

The theater room addition I'm planning should have lots of wall space and I was contemplating making several poster boxes but didn't want to use high wattage lighting (electricity is expensive). The low wattage rope lights seemed like the perfect solution if the light level is high enough.

Thanks for sharing,
    Roy

6. Chris Hovanic

I think its bright enough. Nice thing about the rope lights is you can just add another string if its not bright enough for you. I think you can even get some that you can cut to custom lengths.

A drawback for me with the florescent type lights were cost and the depth the box had to be to house them. If your going to recess them into the wall then the depth is not that big of an issue.

7. Roy Lumsden

Roy Lumsden Member

I thought the posters were too wide to fit between standard wall studs. I suppose if one framed a window casing style opening before the drywall... more food for thought.

Roy

8. Shane-M

Shane-M Active Member

Great Job! I've been thinking about starting a similiar project in the very near future....

Congrats!

-Shane

9. Roy Lumsden

Roy Lumsden Member

One more question I just thought of...

Are you using a single sided or double sided poster? Double sided, from what I've read, give better color but, may require brighter lighting.

Roy

10. Chris Hovanic

The poster in the pic is double sided.... In fact of the 20+ posters i have they are all DS.

Shane-M if you have any questions of want more detailed pics, please let me know. [​IMG]

11. Chris Hovanic

I added some more pics (taken with the wifes new Digital Rebel. The link is here.

12. Joe Maiurro

Joe Maiurro Well-Known Member

What did you use for the frame.. Looks great!

13. Chris Hovanic

The frame is an alum. flip open frame that I got from spotlight displays. You can change the poster out from the front.

14. DonRC

DonRC Well-Known Member

That looks really nice! I've been thinking about what I can do to "dress up" my media room (sometime after I get started on it, I'd think... [​IMG] ) and this may be just the thing. I like it!

Forgive the dumb question, but where do you get the movie posters you use in one of these?

15. Chris Hovanic

Good ol ebay. [​IMG]

16. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Well-Known Member

Chris,

Awesome job![​IMG]

17. Chris Hovanic

Derren... thanks. Ive admired your Cyberdyne from a distance for quite some time [​IMG]

18. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Well-Known Member

Nice job!

The only drawback to using rope lights is I've heard the white ones turn yellowish over time.

But, replacing a bit of rope light once in a while is probably still better than dealing with flourescent light ballasts.

19. Ernesto.Morin

Ernesto.Morin Well-Known Member

Nice! [​IMG]

20. Chris Hovanic

Dave... I can buy quite a few strands of rope light (esp. after xmas in the markdown bin) for the price of a flourescent setup. I actually thought about going flourescent but the depth of the box would have been too deep and since I did not recess it in the wall I wanted as slim as possible.

Ernesto... thanks[​IMG]