What's new

my last time for speaker help (1 Viewer)

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
hey guys, sorry i keep posting new topics for which speakers i should get. i finally think i have settled on which ones i want. Have you guys heard of Fluance? are they any good. i will list the speakers i like and please let me know what you think. this is a 7.1 setup.

front mains: http://www.fluance.com/fluansmblac.html

center: http://www.fluance.com/fluancemv670c.html

side surround: http://www.fluance.com/fluanbipsurs.html

back surround: http://www.fluance.com/fluanbipsurs.html (same as side)

sub: http://www.fluance.com/fldbposu.html

so what do you guys think. my concerns are:

are the woofers for the front mains too small? ( and are these all the same series?)
also are bipolar speakers better? i have no experience with them.

thank you for all your help

Shane Harg

Second Unit

Your main concerns SHOULD be:
-Why don't they give their actual mailing address (at least where it should be on their site)?
-If they have "successfully revolutionized the audio industry", wouldn't most people here have heard of them? (SVS is a good example of a revolutionary audio product)
-Their products are better because they use better parts, etc? Why don't they go into much detail beyond that?
-Do they have a generous return policy?
-Why aren't their specs very impressive, even on paper?
-Why can't they produce any reviews beyond some testimonials (which they could have written themselves)?
-Why don't they say how long they've been in business?
-Why are they so dang cheap (maybe because they are?)?

I wouldn't purchase anything from this company unless I could audition their products first, or unless they would let me return the speakers, ppd by them, if I didn't like them (highly unlikely).

Sorry to sound cynical. Just don't want a fellow HT enthusiast to get burned by (largely unsubstantiated) low price, high quality claims.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
I have to agree with Shane on this one. I got some Premier Acoustics which seemed like a really good deal. They sound good but I felt like I had settled because I was wanting to get my 7.1 hooked up all at once. I ended up selling them, go the jbl l series and couldn't be happier. I am also in the process of setting up another 7.1 in my living room because I like them so much. JBL is also standing behind the warranty even though I bought them for less than MSRP.

In addition to what Shane said, the mains are a bit light at 37 lbs for those dimensions. I would check the thickness of the MDF. Also make sure you have enough wall clearance for the rear port. Just a thought. I would steer you towards the sony 750 with the 8" drivers and matching center before this company. You can also get a better sup for that price and it does not have to match the rest of the speakers. This is just my opinion and I am not putting this company down. Just trying to keep you from going through what I went through. I save up some money and got what I want (the sound).I may not have the most expensive or popular equipment but it works really well for me. If yo try these and like them, let up know how they work out. if they are all that they say they are, this is a steal. I still would get a different sub. at least a 12 inch. If you don't lie the speakers, at least you can sell them and keep the sub to match up with your next set.

Hope this helps and happy hunting

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
thanks but you are wrong about the company. i have a good friend who has beem a distributer for fluance for years, thats where im getting them from. as for reviews maybe you should check cnet before talking out of nowhere about the reviews. they have had reviews done.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
That's great and I hope these work out for you.

Take care,

Andrew

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
i would appreciate it, if someone could answer my original concerns.

thank you

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
I believe some forum members with good knowledge already tried to answer your post but you got all defensive on them and you wonder why you dont get more feedback?
Are you looking for the thruth or someone to backup your decision?
The fact is that instead of paying $269 for those towers you can get something like the X-SLS from av123.com that I am willing to bet anything you want, will blow those away out of the galaxy and will cost you $320 plus shipping.

Do you want great sound and build quality or as I said, just need to hear someone saying a positive thing about Fluance to feel better about pulling the trigger?
I am not trying to be mean but when someone asks for advice we here like to tell it the way it is not sugar coated.

Regards

Shane Harg

Second Unit
GREAT!! Then you you've heard them and know how they sound. If they sound good to you, buy them. Already you know more than most of us. I still think they make some pretty outlandish claims though, and I personally steer clear of companies that feel the need to "talk up" their product on a website.

To answer your other concerns, however;
Are the woofers in the mains too small? Hmmm...as I said, if you've heard them and they sound good to you, what are you worried about?

Are bipolar speakers better? Depends on what you'll be using them for. If you'll be listening to music on them, and you are looking for speakers, which are as honest to the music as posible, I'd say, "no." If, however, you'll be using them 100% for movies, then perhaps bipolars are the way to go. What do your ears tell you? I would personally own a set of Def Techs, if I had a 100% dedicated HT (and if I could even get them where I live).

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
Shane,
I have to agree once again. Here are the specs for the surrounds
# Specifications
# System Type: 2 Way - 4 Driver Bipolar Surround Speakers
# Midrange: Dual 4 inch Polymer Treated with Butyl Rubber Surrounds
# Tweeter: Dual 1" Neodymium Balanced Dome Ferrofluid Cooled For Longer Life
# Power Handling: 20 - 100 Watts
# Frequency Response: 130 - 20K Hz Is this a typo? This number is usually around 45-65 on the low end.
# Sensitivity: 88dB
# Crossover Frequency: 4000 Hz Phase Coherent - PCB Mounted Circuitry
# Impedance: 8 Ohms
# Enclosure: Acoustic Suspension Design
# Dimensions: 10.2 X 11.0 X 5.5 inches (H x W x D)
# Weight: 6.8 pounds/speaker

I would still throw out the sub
# Specifications
# System Type: Front-firing Powered Subwoofer with Integrated Amplifier
# Low-Frequency Driver: 10" Pure-cellulose Fiber Cone with Hi-roll Rubber Surrounds
# Bass Amplifier Power (RMS): 150-watts Continuous Average Output
# Inputs: Line-level (filtered) and Speaker-level
# Low-Pass Crossover: Continuously Variable from 40Hz - 150Hz
# Overall Frequency Response:

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I own Fluance SV-10's and SV-6's (1 for the center and 2 for surrounds). I have been very happy with them. Many people on this forum own Fluance speakers and I have not read a single complaint from any of them.

I also own Polk R50's, and have friends who own speakers from Paradigm, Athena, Boston Acoustics, SVS and Swan.

My Fluance set up is connected to a Marantz receiver and It easily stacks up against any of the formentioned speakers and makes the Polks, Bostons and Athenas sound like boomboxes.

But, the website isnt very polished so id look elsewhere.

I have not seen a single website for a speaker company where they do not "talk up" their speakers.

I cant speak for Fluance Subs tho.

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
thanks for the input. im really disappointed in some of the other people who have posted in this forum. im sure they have never even seen or heard fluance speakers yet they feel they should bash them. i mean they are sold at many sites, including amazon and many other online stores. cnet reviews also say the build quality is outstanding yet why do people always have to immediately hate new things instead of maybe thinking first then posting an opinion.

just my thoughts, i wish people in this forum were more open minded.

im sorry if anyone is offended, just thought this needed to be said

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Is not about been open minded but when you asked for input please make sure you really want input and not just for people to back up what you want to hear cause when it goes the other way you then get defensive and now try to make us look like the bad guys....

The fact that they sell the speakers at amazon and other online stores...how exactly does that make them good?

This thread is all weird...You have a friend thats been a distributor for years and still you come here and ask people you dont know about the speakers? You have read great things about it at cnet (which is as bad as using consumer report to buy high end audio) and still need to ask us for opinions?
If you already had your mind set, a good friend that sells them then why ask and get angry when people tell you what they feel.
You want to spend $269 in those towers....be my guest. I already offered you a WAY better solution but its your money not mine so be happy with whatever you get.
Last post here and you will be lucky to get much help after this....

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
Familyguy,
I hat to see that you have taken this position.

You said "i will list the speakers i like and please let me know what you think" I looked at the speakers online and I "think" that they are something that I would not buy. I you were you looking for validation and encouragement, you should have said so. If you believe that these are nice speakers, then go and buy them. Let us know what you "think" so we can be more informed. Between the lightweight cabinets and the editing that needs to be done in the product descriptions, I do not think that these are a go buy for me. You response was like that of a 5'5" 500 lb man that asks someone how they think he looks and gets mad when they say he looks fat. The may be nice speakers but don't appear that way to me after doing all of the research that I have done. So, since you appear to need validation, I will give it to you. I hope you really enjoy your speakers because that is what's most important to me. People talk about my JBL Studio series like they are trash but they sound good to me.

So, I am not bashing these speakers. Especially since I have not heard them. That would be as irrational as the direction that this thread had taken. I do need to ask a question though? was this an attempt to promote the speakers at the same time? FYI some of the folks out here probably (speaking about build quality) have one front speaker that weighs more that the entire 7.1 system. With that being said, it's difficult to expect positive feedback from people that have what they believe to be superior speakers. You are probably not going to get a lot of positive feedback on these on this forum. Not saying there isn't any, I just don't see much of it out here based on comments in some other threads that I have read concerning these speakers. My only purpose for being out here is to help folks get the most for their money. Not to be negative or Bash. I apologize If I came off that way and sincerely hope you enjoy your purchase.

Happy hunting

Andrew

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
thank you, you are right. but i have an honest question and in no way im i trying to be rude. if these speakers are said to be cheap in quality how can they afford a 5 year warrenty?

thanks

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
That's a great question but I might not be the best person to answer that question due to my old school nature I am not impressed by warranties. Here's what I mean. A 5 year warranty is great but all it means to me is that is someone sells me a piece of crap that they will take it back for up to five years. Being in management for a while, i have actually seen some warranties that were worth more than the product it was meant to cover. So what am I saying? I want to buy a speaker. not a 5 year warranty. For instance, I would buy a used high quality speaker with no warranty because of it's track record. So, that's a great thing but the question is how confidence would you have in the product if there was no warranty? As for my JBLs, completely. If you feel the same way, they we are on the same page. As for able to afford it, if they are like most companies, they have n insurance policy to cover returns and pay a deductible whenever a return occurs, They are covered and then have some B stock to sell at 100% profit at that point. So, in essence, warranty programs protect the customer but they are more of a benefit to the company as a selling tool and profit protection.

Thanks,

Andrew

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Andrew makes an excellent point as do others here. At one time I too was going to buy my speakers from Fluance until I did loads of research. On paper the specs are mediocre at best. I would love to buy one of these sets and compare it to our SVS system or even better compare subs. You know what if hey are willing to take the speakers back for full refund I will do a side by side comparison with a spl meterand pics to boot. Look for it sometime in the Spring.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
I wish I had someone to do that with my JBL Studio L 7.1 the .1 is a Hsu 2.3 :D

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
That's a pretty good review. I like the neodymium magnet. That's a nice touch. thanks for the due diligence.I will forward the link to anyone else that may be interested.

Thanks,

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks