What's new

My Infocus©4805 has arrived! (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
Just a spinoff question- not intending to hijack the thread-would upgrading the DVD player to something like the new Zenith DV318 with DVI output be worth it? I have a good sony 5 disc changer/sacd player at present. Am using Svideo at present while i wait for the component cables from Blue Jeans to come.. Would DVI be significantly better with 4805 than component and does the Zenith look like a good proposition?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have the Bravo D1, which does 720P or 1080i upconversion like the Zenith and also allows you to set a custom resolution for 1:1 pixel mapping (in this case 854x480; don't know if the Zenith has this option). Links to my comparative screen shots and observations here (I think I posted this earlier):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...73#post2274673

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks Cameron! Well i think the colors look more vivid on the D1 than the Toshiba going by the screenshots.. the actual tint of the image is showing instead of whites.. though im not sure what the image was supposed to look like in the first place? The D1 i think is out of prodn at present and D2 is available right? Though Zenith seems to be proabably cheaper.What are your views? Have you had a chance to see Zenith in action.

Daman

Second Unit
check out the photo above.. that room has plenty of lighting, i try to keep it dark as much as i can, there are modes in projector for bright rooms as well which would change the pic quality to compensate for the brightness. But it does look the best when its dark, i guess most PJs do.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I haven't seen the Zenith. There is a thread here and a lengthy one at AVS Forum. My guess it's as good as the D1/D2. The D2 has its own performance issues though. I was following the thread at AVS but lost interest in the product once I learned about continuing quality control issues. The D1 has its quirks (which I remedied by replacing the loader) and I still like the machine, but I would only upgrade if it actually meant an upgrade :) That said, I am following any releases of upconverting players like the upcoming Panasonic. Toshiba released one a couple months ago, but that was sure a fiasco...

From what I've seen the Zenith does a good job and doesn't have any lock up issues like the Bravo's. I'd say go for it!

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd

YES- I have this setup, the difference between my regular player was HUGE! I am running @ 1080 :D :emoji_thumbsup:
I Got it from gorchauners (sp?)@ $160 shipped.

Daman

Second Unit
Whoa!! There go my budget control awry again..thanks guys :D will have to slowly push the info to wife over the days to convince her ;) i have to try this now.. did you guys have to buy the DVI to M1 converter to use the DVI cable with Infocus or are you using Component cable itself? .. Also Todd is there a return policy with gorchauners and are they Authorized?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Well, haven't heard THAT before :)

Affirmative on the cable. It cost me $55 :frowning:

I heard Gochnauer told one buyer to deal with the manufacturer for his problem. Not sure if that means they don't take returns?

You'll pay more but Best Buy will let you return it.

Daman

Second Unit

Oh well you know .. ill start by today telling her about this great DVD player being discussed and how its resolution is much higher than the current progressive players blah blah :) and then after a few days of raving about it pop the question hehehe.. Will the component not give me 1080 res? Im asking this because i just ordered 20 foot component from bluejeans to connect the infocus to my dvd player yesterday for 93 bucks :frowning: I guess one can't get an interlaced signal from component so ill have to use DVI? Plz advice and thanks again!!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Can someone explain to me why upconversion of DVD looks better on the 4805 despite the native res of the projector is the same as DVD?

My source will be an HTPC so upconversion won't be a problem, just wondering the practicality behind it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have my D1 set to the projector's native res of 854X480 and I think it looks the same as (and maybe better than) the 720P or 1080i. I will probably take some screen shots to do a side-by-side comparison though. This doesn't answer your question but it indicates upconversion to 1080i or 720p isn't necessarily the best for this projector.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Scott,

(Caveat: I don't have this projector, yet :), nor have I seen it in person) If I had to venture a guess a good progressive scan DVD player, like the Panasonic XP30 or Denon DVD-5900, would look just as good as an upconverted 1080 signal simply because there is no way to get more detail than what a signal pixel will allow. As for a 1:1 pixel mapping I am quite sure that that image would look very nice given that it maximizes the total amount of detail possible with little to no conversion.

Chris S.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd

See their site:
http://www.gochnauers.com

If for any reason anyone wants the black bag like the X1 came with for their 4805 for storeage or carrying around, you can get the same one as the X1 for under $13 thru the Infocus store and I have a coupon for free shipping if anyone wants it just email. I assume this coupon would be good for Free shipping on most items.

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks Todd, i checked with them, they are authorized.. my component cable came in today from bluejeans, hooked it up and man was there a huge difference between the s video and this baby. The bag with X1 was handy, wonder why they didnt provide it with 4805 too.. thanks for the tip!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I took comparative screen shots of output from the D1 at custom 854X480 (the 4805's native resolution), 720P and 1080i. And the winner is...854X480! Not surprising really. See the results here.

Look especially at Sully's eyelid, the ends of the hairs on his arm and the purple patch of fur.

I've also been working on a hushbox and think I'm finally there. I'll have shots of that soon also.

Daman

Second Unit
Neat!! Yes the 854 X 480 really looks the sharpest and brightest of the lot..with colours really coming out. thanks for the inputs Cameron.Good to see a comparison finally! Was thinking if you can take a 480 P picture along with this just for guys like us to see how much difference is there between them.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'll take a shot at 480P using DVI because the D1 is known for being rather horrendous sending 480P through component.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Awesome comparison Cameron! Just out of curiosity what camera did you use to take the screen shots?

Chris S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks