What's new

My Infocus©4805 has arrived! (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Just wondering (attn Joseph!) if a custom set of user settings has been agreed upon yet for the Infocus 4805 like with the X1?;) I took it out of the box and the default settings looks pretty good:) Also waiting on my DB318 to arrive any day, what connector will I need to hook it up for best performance?

PLMK-Thanks!

BTW-Watched the first part of cold mountain last night, I can definitely see a difference between the X1 and the 4805, glad I took the plunge. :emoji_thumbsup:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Todd:

Ok. How about some thoughts on the various movies that you have watched and some screen shots.

Sounds like a good deal.

Parker

Daman

Second Unit
Nice!! Glad to hear that you found it marked improvement over X1.. my 4805 should be arriving in a day or two also and would also look fwd to comparing it with the X1 i have.. hoping to see none of the rainbows with 4805 at all :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
as for the settings.. be sure ya give it a run thru with a calibration disc like Avia, DVE, or S&V.

One person's projector settings will usually not be suitable for another person.

Aristides

Agent
glad to hear good reviews from real users! I recommended this projector to a friend who had an LP340.

It will arrive by the end of the week and he's asking what new cables he will need.

I'm unfamiliar with the newer connections for video and have the same question as Todd.

Any help would be great.

Aristides

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

The place I bought my 4805 from had a good salesperson who asked me first what I was connecting to it. Even though it meant my spending an extra 50.00 (InFocus' fault, not his), it spared me from being stuck without the proper connection. So if you're hooking up through DVI, you're going to need an M-1 to DVI cable. The one provided is an M-1 to VGA.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Count me in on one who's interested in reading the user reviews of this PJ.

This would be great! :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks for the link Cameron.

And looking forward to your review and pics Todd. I've got a Panasonic PTL-300U but would really like to see if the increased contrast and black levels of this DLP are as good as I've heard.

Thanks for your time to do this too! :)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd

Cold Mountain shot, sea foam green sheet rock wall...

Haunted Mansion shot of letter (I think the camera software oversaturated the red, it looked much better in person...

More Haunted Mansion, vivid blacks, NO slur intended, seriously.

Another Haunted Manison shot, note the license plate! ;)

Now I take crappy pics with my Nikon Coolpix 995 and this is just a temp setup using component video and an Apex Player on a bare sheetrock sea foam green wall in my living room, My Db318 just arrived and I have not hooked it up yet. I think it looks great, IMHO. The unit is on low power setting and the noise is there not as bad as the x1 but on high power the noise is louder, not really a factor for me, really. I will also address one other thing that I have not seen thus far: this unit is native 16x9 and with movies setup for 16x9 (2.35:1) I find a better picture on the letterbox setting and yes I still get black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, no biggie. PQ distance from screen (wall) = 16ft, image size apx 72"w x 36"h. Very Pleased thus far. :)

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
Dang, those are nice shots. I'm very tempted by this projector, as I'd be watching primarily dvds on it.

Got the following on another forum, but thought people might like to hear directly from an infocus engineer how he feels about the 4805.

To put things into a little perspective, I've recently been the technical lead on 3 of our home projectors: the ScreenPlay 7205, ScreenPlay 4805, and ScreenPlay 777. My favorite by far is the 4805, and I truly believe it is the best projector value we have ever done in terms of image quality for the money. Based on MSRP, you could get 1 SP777, 3 SP7205's, or 20 SP4805's, and the image quality of the 4805 in my opinion is closer to 80% of the SP777 than 5%, especially if you want to watch a DVD and you have a screen smaller than 8 feet diagonal. In a dark room it significantly outperforms any projection television you can buy at even double its price. I also believe that in any videophile shootout it will win against projectors with competing technologies, even ones with HD resolution, as the contrast, color accuracy, and gray tracking cannot be beat.

Hopefully, if the projector does well, we will bring the true movie theater experience to lots more people than before.

Granted, Bob is apt to be a little biased, but, it's nice to hear these type of comments from an engineer and not your marketing pr guy.

With my bedroom setup I figure I'd be able to get away with about a 70" diagonal image sitting at 12 feet away. Hmm, hmm, hmm, what to do?

Damn it, Todd, I'd just decided to pass on the 4805 and now you have to go and post those beautiful pics.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Todd:

So have you tried any SD into the projector yet off cable or satellite using a 4 x 3 image as opposed to 16 x 9?

Parker

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Parker:
No, My cable outlet is 15 ft away from the temp setup and I will need to hookup a "patch cord" to temporally relocate the cable box to try it. But this weekend with all of the rain around will likely be a good time to do so...Will post those too.

BTW-My Zenith DB318 arrived yesterday and I took a quick pic of 1080i but as the pic shows I have some white "dots" on top of the image I am dealing with...I find the extra detail worth the expenditure for the DB318
:emoji_thumbsup:

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hey todd, how much better do you guesstimate the Zenith's picture is compared to the player you originally used?

Also, those dots are overscan markers from what ive read at AVS. Just do the overscan to get rid of them.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
NickSo,
I am very please with the difference in picture with the Zenith, much clearer definition with better resolution.
Colors are better too :emoji_thumbsup: Since the temp Apex was my daughters room player and cost around $30, the difference is huge...
:D

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Cameron_Y;
What do I need to hook up my xbox to the 4805?

BTW-I watched Butterfly effect on it last night and the picture was plasma like ;) AWESOME!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Todd: YOu would want to get a HD-Pack for your Xbox.

Cameron: How does the 4805 handle full frame (4:3) and nonanamorphic material coming from the Zenith?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
You can use either the Microsoft HD Pack or get the Monster set. The Monster set is a little more efficient in its cabling because it goes from the XBox connection to component and R/L audio and has a jack to connect an optical cable. The MS pack has a breakout box that you have to connect separate cables for all connections. Word is the jacks aren't ideal for HD either.

Nick, I don't have the Zenith but the Bravo D1. Full frame and non-ana material gets window boxed with black. When I was using it with my Toshiba RPTV I would use the zoom function to fill the screen, but doing it with the 4805 of course the imperfections are more apparent. It does a pretty good job all things considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks