What's new

My hanging DVR... and TV I guess (1 Viewer)

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
A while back my father and I decided that the best way to mount my plasma TV was to hang it from the ceiling and that was a great idea at the time. Fast forward to a few months ago... we finally entered the HD age at home and I had to set my DVR on top of a little table under the TV.

The table was an eye sore and I would have to point the remote down to change channels and then up to adjust the volume and get the TV to turn off. I thought about mounting the DVR behind the TV on the mount, but then I would need an IR repeater (to get the remote signal back there) and a more complex mounting system.

I searched for a suitable under TV mount and didn't really find anything for my situation. So I bought some brackets and strips of aluminum from Home Depot and got to work on my own mount!

Here are the results...

Its kind of ugly, yes, but it works, lol! Next up is getting those cables into a channel and down the wall in a neat manner instead of hanging down like that

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
Well, several reasons:
1. With the TV higher up I have the floor space free for other furniture
2. I can lean back in my computer chair and watch it comfortably
3. I can see it better when lying down in bed

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'll give you an "A" for innovation, at least. :D How heavy is the DVR? If it's only a few pounds, plain old velcro might work.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
Haha, thanks! I estimate that it weighs about 3 lbs or so. The thought of velcro holding it up scares me, lol

Brian.R

Grip
Real Name
Brian Rieck
I think a wall mounted shelf could work. All the wiring would go to the DVR (through a simple plastic conduit for a clean look) and just an HDMI and powercable (zip tied together) would go from the DVR to the TV. Most DVRs have a power outlet on the back to plug the TV in. Leave a little slack to cover whatever distance the TV mount allows.

Here's a simple shelf. This one seems like it could also have connected to your TV mount somehow:
Wall Mount Shelves

Here are a million more shelf options. I think a cube style would be cool because you also put other things on it to make it seem like it's there for more than just the DVR.
Wall Mounted Shelf - Home Decor: Find, Compare, Read Reviews & Buy Online @ Yahoo! Shopping

Has anyone else come up with a good way to deal with this? My neighbor just bought 3 22" LCDs for his basement remodel and ran into the same issue. He's got the wiring run all the way up to the mounting point so the installation would be perfectly clean ... except for the cable box. Too bad those little TV Cards never took off ....

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks