What's new

My first "serious" camera: Looking for thoughts on Canon EOS Rebel T2i or better (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Carlo, yes, the 7D would be a huge improvement over the Rebel XT, which I had on our last Yellowstone visit. I sold it, though, when I bought the 40D a few years ago. I am very excited to have a quality wildlife setup for this visit, though. This will my fifth trip to YNP, which is probably my favorite place to visit.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

All this talk about cameras put the upgrade bug in me. Since my wife and I have decided to make a return trip to Yellowstone next summer, I wanted a longer telephoto lens. Well, Canon tempted me with an instant rebate, so I have a new Canon 7D dSLR and Canon EF 100-400mmL IS lens on the way from B&H Photo. I was planning on doing this before next summer anyway, and was able to save $220 via the rebate by combining the two items on a single order now. The instant rebate offer ends September 10th.

This should be an improvement over the equipment I took on our last trip to Yellowstone -- a Rebel XT dSLR and EF 70-300mm IS lens. I struggled with wildlife shots at dawn / dusk, as the Rebel didn't have the best high ISO performance and combined with that lens tended to have its auto focus hunt too much in the lower light. Plus, that telephoto was not too sharp at 300mm, especially shooting wide open as I needed to at dusk.

Now I just need to decide what to do with my Canon 40D. I may hang onto it at least through the Yellowstone trip, as a 2nd body would be handy there. I do not like changing lenses in the thermal areas due to the environmental conditions (lots of gas and water vapor), so I could have both my 17-55mm and 10-22mm mounted on separate bodies in those areas.

Congrats on the new gear. I'd love to get the 100-400 someday. Does it work with a teleconverter?

I definitely think you should keep the 40D as a second body for Yellowstone. Not only do you have the gas and water vapor but dust and dirt. I'd hate to be changing lens often in that environment.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've only had a little time to try out the new Canon 7D and 100-400mm lens. So far, I'm happy with both. Here is one from the back yard where I pushed the combo to near its limits -- hand held, 1/200 sec, ISO 1600, very tightly cropped in post processing. Considering the conditions, the results are pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks