What's new

My first "serious" camera: Looking for thoughts on Canon EOS Rebel T2i or better (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, the 70-300L is a head scratcher. I was really hoping for an update to their 100-400L, but the new 70-300L lens doesn't make much sense at its price -- $1,500 MSRP.

The features on the 60D look decent from a current Rebel owner's viewpoint. However, as a current 40D owner, I see some of the choices as a step down. It looks like Canon is repositioning the xxD body into a different market, and the 7D is the new "prosumer" body. It makes some sense, though, as who would buy a 7D if the 60D incorporated too many of its features?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's funny, I love my articulating LCD screen on my point-n-shoot A6xx Canons, but the thought is trying to hold a 60D steady at some funny angle while using the articularing LCD screen leaves me cold. I think there's a point of diminishing returns due to the weight/balance/steadiness of larger lenses and the camera body. But then again, it could make low-angle shots much easier to get with a dSLR.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think the articulating screens would be more of a benefit for macro shooting via a tripod -- something I never do. I had a bad experience with this screen type on my old Powershot G3, where it malfunctioned. It's just something else to break for me.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think Scott's hit it on the head. The macro shooting from odd angles is helped by the articulating screen. But like Scott it's something I would never do.

At least for the 9 point focusing it's all cross type points. I have 19 point cross type on my 7D. I know there are other focusing systems with more points but for someone with my limited skill, 19 is reaching diminishing marginal utility. I've never shot and wished I had more points. Or rather, if I did wish for more, it's at the extreme edges of the frame where none of the other AF systems, even the ones with 51, have points.

For most of my shooting I use single point or spot AF and for me the 19 points have always given me one where I want to focus.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's not just the number of points it's the odd central spacing of them. You can't AF past 1/3 of the way in on either side and their are HUGE gaps in the corners.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
A new niche indeed:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/08/60d-new-niche.html

And if you missed it, Sony has some interesting new toys in the chest too:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony-a55-preview.shtml

The D700 refresh can't come soon enough for me to know just what it will be, but the thought of it makes my wallet scream...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

Sam, yeah you're right. Even with my 7D focus points above, there are huge gaps in the corners. But in comparison with the 7D's area of coverage for its AF points vs. the 51 point, both are still largely toward the center and even the 51 has gaps in the corners. For me the 19 point gets the area I need to focus on 95% of the time (or more). And in the instances where it doesn't, the additional points based on the spacing of the 51 point wouldn't have helped me either. In those cases I just focus lock and recompose.

However moving up from 9pt to 19pt helped a lot due to the large spaces between the points at the 9pt screen.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The new 60D is an interesting shift in the naming conventions for Canon's lineup. It does make sense as there really was not enough room between the 50D and the 7D for a meaningful upgrade to the 50D.... namely because it's now apparent the 7D WAS the upgrade to the 50D, it just wasn't called "60D".

So now we've got the following body lineup from Canon, and I think it makes sense:

XXXD: entry level, small body, modest features

XXD: intermediate level, larger body, upgrade in features

XD: pro level (or semi-pro/pro if you prefer), large body, top of the line features (and of course the choice between FF and Crop)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
People at DPR are saying the same thing, that the 7D was the 50D upgrade, but that Canon didn't want it to seem like they were asking $450 more for the replacement. The loss of microadjustment was a big deal breaker for people who wanted to go from the 50D to the 60D.

I certainly don't agree with their notion that the 60D is the T3i (or whatever the next Rebel will be called). If it was they wouldn't have gone with a larger body.

I choose to look at it this way, which very much maps with what you're saying.

The XD is the "pro" line, with the 5D being the full frame and the 7D being the crop frame. They are acknowledging that pros can have needs for both full frame and crop body.

The XXD = between rebel and XD, both in features and size (whereas the 50D was I believe very close in size to the 7D)

XXXD = entry level

The main detraction was the step backwards in losing MA between the 50D and 60D. It's always tough to have something and then to lose it with a product's successor. But the omission of MA does not in my view make the 60D akin to a Rebel.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

I've got the 50D and am completely happy with it, so the 60D (nor 7D) was never of any interest to me. Maybe when the 7D Mk II hits I'll be ready for an upgrade.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

The main detraction was the step backwards in losing MA between the 50D and 60D. It's always tough to have something and then to lose it with a product's successor. But the omission of MA does not in my view make the 60D akin to a Rebel.

Canon did this sort of thing on the G-series as well (I think people sought after the G9 after the G10 showed up without some features that made the G9 more attractive.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Man, I had no idea this thread had grown so much.

First, congrats, Ron. Even though it's a Nikon it's still a DSLR and will be a lot of fun to use.

I saw mention of bags up-thread. Depending on what style you're looking for the new Think Tank Retrospective series is getting rave reviews. I have the R10 and absolutely love it. I have a pair of Domke bags as well but I can't imagine using them again.

Has anyone told you yet that you'll need a good tripod and ball head? You'll be shocked at how much those go for.

After seeing the 60D announcement I found myself very happy I didn't wait for it and picked up a 50D last January. No micro-adjustment, plastic body, higher than necessary MP's. I don't think the 60D is a Rebel but I also think it's not quite as good as the 50D is. My next camera will likely be a 7D or its replacement.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
All this talk about cameras put the upgrade bug in me. Since my wife and I have decided to make a return trip to Yellowstone next summer, I wanted a longer telephoto lens. Well, Canon tempted me with an instant rebate, so I have a new Canon 7D dSLR and Canon EF 100-400mmL IS lens on the way from B&H Photo. I was planning on doing this before next summer anyway, and was able to save $220 via the rebate by combining the two items on a single order now. The instant rebate offer ends September 10th.

This should be an improvement over the equipment I took on our last trip to Yellowstone -- a Rebel XT dSLR and EF 70-300mm IS lens. I struggled with wildlife shots at dawn / dusk, as the Rebel didn't have the best high ISO performance and combined with that lens tended to have its auto focus hunt too much in the lower light. Plus, that telephoto was not too sharp at 300mm, especially shooting wide open as I needed to at dusk.

Now I just need to decide what to do with my Canon 40D. I may hang onto it at least through the Yellowstone trip, as a 2nd body would be handy there. I do not like changing lenses in the thermal areas due to the environmental conditions (lots of gas and water vapor), so I could have both my 17-55mm and 10-22mm mounted on separate bodies in those areas.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You are gonna love the 100-400l, it's a great lens. It's getting a little long in the tooth tho, I've been expecting a refresh on that with newer IS since I stopped using my 20d =)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Scott, congratulations on your purchase! Coming from an XSi to the 7D, I think I can safely you're going to love it!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Scott, congratulations on your purchase! Coming from an XSi to the 7D, I think I can safely you're going to love it!

Thanks, Carlo. I am not expecting a huge leap over my 40D, but hopefully should see improvements in high ISO and auto focus performance, which is what I want for the wildlife in Yellowstone. The added resolution should also give me some leeway to crop images a little for the very distant wildlife, too. The wolves, especially, can be tough to get close to.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Scott I was talking more about the XT->7D jump, I forgot you had the 40D. I think you're right in that the biggest areas of improvement are the high ISO and AF performance (gotta love those 19 cross type points!). I think you'll also grow to like movie mode. I don't use it as much as others do (and certainly not like the professionals in the links Sam keeps pointing us to) but when you're at the zoo, as I was two months ago in San Diego) and those critters are just doing the darnedest things, you're going to be glad you could quickly change from shooting stills to shooting video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks