What's new

My first Remote Starter (VIPER 561R) - opinions and additional question (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have always had the thought of putting an
auto-ignition starter in my car. After all,
it gets cold during the Winter here in Jersey
and there's nothing worse than waiting for a
car to warm up and THEN removing the ice off
the windows.

This week, 6th Avenue Electronics advertised a
Viper Remote Starter system Installed for
$129. Sounded like a good deal, so I went to
the store today and bought it. I had to pay an
additional $60 since my car requires an extra part
(and install) to work with the theft bypass system.
Okay...it's now costing me close to $200, but what
the heck.

Anybody have one of these Viper starters? Any
thoughts on them?

Now my BIG question....

Obviously, when I know it's gonna be cold, I am
going to want to keep the HEAT/DEFROST set to turn
on when the car is started remotely.

How much strain is there on the battery when the
car is started with the DEFROST/HEAT turned on at
FULL BLAST? Is there added strain or is it no
different than starting the car and then turning
on the heat?

Looking forward to your answers.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure Sean will chime in soon, but I'll tell ya what I think.

Viper, as I know it, has always been a company with a good reputation. If I remember correctly, they are owned by Directed Electronics.

the FORD, along with most newer cars need that starter bypass and it's just another thing they tack on.

According to the website 6th Ave says they offer no warranty without them installing it. It seems a little odd, but as long as you don't mind getting it installed at 6th Ave everything is cool.

I think the initial draw on your alternator could be pretty strong and may shorten it's life. Kind of like having to force the alternator to charge a dead battery, it's never recommended. I'd say your safest route would be to leave the rear defrost off, and the heater fan JUST below that final stage where it cranks that last little bit.

You said you wanted thoughts, well those are mine.

Brent

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
I had a Viper remote start on my wifes car for 2 years until we sold it (the car). In the winter, she had everything left on high for when she would start it. (Heat on full blast, defrost on). We never had any problems at all with the battery, alternator or starter. She had a Nissan Altima, and they have some pretty weak alternators. Ford's from what I know have a heavier duty alternator which I would not be too concerned about. When the car is cranking to start, the heater and defrost shouldnt kick on until after the car has started.

Tim Brewers

Agent
Guess I can't add much here, but I have had the vipers in my last 6 or 7 vehicles, and haven't had a single problem with any of them. It is usually the very first thing I do to a new vehicle when I get it.

Brew

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just a quick update....

Got the Viper installed in my vehicle.

I love it!

I had to spring a few extra $$$ to get power
lock ability. The Viper system overrides your
auto's power lock system so when you auto start,
your normal power lock remote (that came with the
car) is rendered useless.

The entire setup works well. What more could
I ask for?

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a Viper ESP 550 for about 2 years now, on my 6 speed Celica. I modified it to work on a manual transmission, since they technically aren't legal to go on manual xmission cars since the car will drive away if you accidently leave it in 1st gear (I've done it 2x :D)

So far though, no problems at all with it. You will love it Ron.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
they technically aren't legal to go on manual xmission cars
well if you want to be even more accurate, using a remote starter is illegal in most states, as it is against the law to leave a running car unattended. that said, i've installed probably 300-500 remote starters in automatic transmission (and a about 10 manual transmission) vehicles, and i've found the viper units among the better available.

CJ

joey wires

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Well, remote car starters duplicate exactly what the key does, generally the heater circuit is disengaged during the crank cycle of your ignition, and in most cases the same is true during remote start operation. a few exceptions may be ford's or dodges, that require more than 2 ignitions and one accessory wire. So in your case your blower should shut off while the vehicle is being started. if not you can ask the company who installed the device to change the 2nd ignition wire from the remote start (pink/white) to act as an accessory output a simple 2 second programming option. The cost that you paid was more than fair as where I am in boston the average cost installed for that remote start with a key interface goes for $300. as for the warranty only applying if its installed by them, is the manufacturers requirement ( directed electronics) also viper is not to be sold over the counter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks