What's new

My Favorite Martian - season 3 has a Bonus Disc (1 Viewer)

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I was a little taken aback by the price too! 70 bucks!

I'm surprised that Dave or Gord didn't have any thoughts or comment on this release.

I'm disappointed that Rhino is not releasing this and some other items as well like the Sid & Marty Krofft series. I was always pro Rhino. I gave them accolades and high marks for their prior releases.

They always did a great job with extras and bonus stuff. It's too bad they are cutting back.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Mick Tees said:
II'm surprised that Dave or Gord didn't have any thoughts or comment on this release.
Isn't this an Australia-only release? I have seen no evidence that Umbrella even operates in North America. If they do, someone please post a link!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It IS this item y'all are talking about, right? Austrilian company called Umbrella Entertainment releasing it in Australia, but stating it has NTSC format. Doesn't say a word about Region 1 vs. Region 4, but if the NTSC thing isn't a typo then I guess R1 is a good assumption. Unless they mean it for Japan, of course.
6 DVDs for AU$69.99 (I assume that's Australian dollars; that's a safe assumption since this is an Aussie site, right?)...using Expedia's Currency Converter:
Conversion results
69.99 Australian dollars = 64.42 US dollars
Exchange rate: 0.920471
Rate valid as of: 11/14/2007
I've got to go out, and when I get back I've got some other stuff to do, but I'll try to check on this thread tomorrow.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Mick Tees said:
I was a little taken aback by the price too! 70 bucks!
I'm surprised that Dave or Gord didn't have any thoughts or comment on this release.
I'm disappointed that Rhino is not releasing this and some other items as well like the Sid & Marty Krofft series. I was always pro Rhino. I gave them accolades and high marks for their prior releases.
They always did a great job with extras and bonus stuff. It's too bad they are cutting back.
Rhino was great years ago before they became a Time-Warner company. All of the original people who made Rhino great are now at Shout Factory. Rhino is a shell of it's former self and exists really in name only anymore.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I thought the license for My Favorite Martian went to Timeless Media Group who have a Best of My Favorite Martian collection:
http://www.timelessmusic.com/DVDs/my...temartian.html
What I hate about this is it is a best of, not Season 3 and the Best of is small compared to the title and there is a big 3 with Season under it, but it is premiere season, the best of the first season.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Tory said:
I thought the license for My Favorite Martian went to Timeless Media Group who have a Best of My Favorite Martian collection:
http://www.timelessmusic.com/DVDs/my...temartian.html
That's simply a condensed (15 episode) repackaging of season 1. It might possibly be a sub-license from Rhino, as Timeless is also offering condensed versions of "The Lone Ranger" (color episodes) and "Wyatt Earp," both of which have previously been issued by Rhino.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Why do they use such deceptive packaging? I looked it over online and can tell what it is but someone a little less perceptive comes across that in store, if these ever sale in stores, they might just think that was Season 3.

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
Hello..from Jack Chertok Television.Inc.

The Timeless release was a straight sale from Rhino to timeless, they were not allowed to sub-licence the show in their contract.

(sorry if it caused confusion..we let it through in the hopes it would get the season three released for you)

To say that I have been disapointed with the lack of a season three set is putting it mildly..

we had put together a large inventory of new extras material for them to use on this set,(at no cost to them) mostly because as a fellow fan I felt that the first two sets had really short changed the show.

So they have changed inside Rhino, they are more into the download world not so much the in hand products.

The season three set at this point is highly unlikley...but...

We just released a boxed set of season three in Australia and New zealand..

It is packed with the extras we wanted on the Rhino set..in fact we have even more..since we felt rewarding fans is job number one.

It is a little more price wise..but honestly well worth it..we remastered the unaired pilot and more..

It's out through Umbrella Entertainment Australia.

We also have a soundtrack album being released at the end of this month.

Two years of work on that remastering the original studio music session tapes..

it will be released by La La Land records.

They only post albums they have in stock..so it's not going to appear until they are ready to ship.

On the album be aware it is a limited edition of just 3000 so move fast when you see it.

Thank you so much for your support of "My Favorite Martian"

Jack Chertok Television.Inc.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
This is by far the most interesting (and important) message post that has been made here in this discussion forum in quite some time and it is rare for an actual representative of a tv property owner to (personally) communicate with interested consumers...a (welcomed) practice that the other major distribution companies should also make it a point of doing!

Pertaining to this DVD release of MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN's third season (1965-66) in Australia and New Zealand are these newly remastered digital transfer source elements (for all 32 colour episodes)?

In what region format have the 6 single-sided discs been minted? Most of us have only Region 1 DVD players in North America.

Will there be a North American DVD release of MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN?

Do you also have the Jack Chertok produced MY LIVING DOLL (CBS 1964-65) 1960s SF sitcom series starring Robert Cummings under your aegis?

Are there any other tv properties in your catalogue that we should know about?

Thank you for your clarification on this!

Jeff T.

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
Hello again.

The Umbrella set is mastered from our broadcast Digi betas...broadcast quality..they did a new digital transfer..

The set will work on all player it is region free..

While it's a little more cost wise..I made sure that it's worth every cent of that price..no short changing fans of our shows.

What are we up to next...well how about a boxed set of our other show...

"My Living Doll" hosted by our star Julie Newmar..

Hope that answers some of your questions..

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Chertok Television. said:
What are we up to next...well how about a boxed set of our other show...
"My Living Doll" hosted by our star Julie Newmar..
Hope that answers some of your questions..
That's great! Have all the episodes been found or will this be a "best of" set?

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Thank you for your encouraging response, however, I forgot to ask another crucially relevent question:
Are the episodes in the third season MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN 6-disc set in their entire 25-26 minutes running times or are they (abortive) time-compressed copies?!
For the benefit of anyone interested provided is a weblink to the UMBRELLA ENTERTAINMENT online retail merchandise webpage for the MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN - THE COMPLETE THIRD SERIES IN COLOUR 6-disc set:
MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN (Click Here).
Jeff T.

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
This is getting to be a habit.

None of the shows are time compressed..they were taken from our fine grain negative master transfers. (Digi Betas)

Living Doll is a work in progress..over 11 shows are in decent shape..the rest are being worked on..

We want to make sure that every new "Martian" product is as perfect as possible.

The moto is to reward the fans of our shows with new and unseen materials.

Best

JCP.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Accept our sincere appreciation for taking the time and effort to answer our enquiries and we certainly don't mean to be pests about it but do have a genuine interest in the MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN DVD release.

Jeff T.

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
It's a pleasure to answer questions about our shows..

The simple fact is mission number one is quality, and giving television fans like yourself the ultimate sets possible.

That means extras in the form of interviews with our production staff and actors, scans of original production paperwork never before seen stills rare home movies from the set...and more..

By the by Howard anderson did the optical work for all our shows, he used some of the same techniques from "The Invaders" on "Martian".

When an Invader smokes out with a light burn..they used that same type of optical on "Go west Young Martian" when Uncle Martin changes modern day money into period dollars..

Howard once told me when they filmed the saucer on invader..they used so many light inside the model that one time when kept the lights on too long, the fibre glass model started to melt..on one side.(he told me saved it just it time before it burst into flames)

The Invaders is available as a boxed set in..you guessed it Australia..

all the best.

Jack Chertok Television.Inc.

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
Hello again,

I'm afraid not... other than ordering it direct from Umbrella, a great deal of effort has gone into this new set..and with this effort came expenses.

Alot of money has been spent new features on this new set... when you see all of them you will feel that every cent you paid was worth it.

When you get this set you will see it is cheap for all the great extras produced and seen on it for the first time.

Best wishes

Chertok TV.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Actually I think Rhino lost interest after the first season. The second season was dumped on the market with either cut episodes or time speeded episodes.

I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have found complete episodes or non time speeded versions. I think it was more they weren't interested.

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
Hello..

Here is a little back history..

I started with Chertok television three years ago, but in 1992 Bill Bixby and I spent some time developing a final episode/telemovie to give fans a solid ending to the show.

I had the pleasure of getting to know Jack Chertok, he was a wonderful gentleman who understood every element of production from the ground up.

Back then Jack sent me to his film vault to get an idea of what we had to work with for flash back footage, so I had a solid understanding of what existed for the show.

Years later when the Rhino sets began I was frankly shocked to see the lack of extras for fans like you and me.

Something had to be done..I contacted Rhino before the release of the second set and while they listened.. it was not anything they saw as important for that release.

Then I recontacted the Chertok company, they were winding down after the death of Jack..who was of course the heart of the company.

I was signed to a contract to handle many aspects of their holdings...so I exist because of the lack of action on the part of Rhino..ironic.

Now from this point forward I supervise all of the new products..and make sure they are produced to far higher standards than in the past.

all the elements for the show are in great shape..and we have just finished restoring the music cues and about to start on the stills collection as well..

(and of course the ongoing struggle to bring back "My Living Doll")

As I go through all of these different assets I will make it a point to make them available to all of you to enjoy in as many ways as possible. (as you will see Umbrella sets are a radical departure from the past sets)

Best to all

Jack Chertok television.

PS. the first season DVD set had solid sales, the second was horrible sales wise..I blame really poor distribution together with no point of purchase advertising..also the packaging on both sets was far bellow Rhino's normal high standards.( the back of season two shows a flying saucer based on the C57D from Forbidden Planet?)

Also no real press promotion..the general public had no clue the sets even existed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks