What's new

MY FAIR LADY 4K restoration completed! Dec. 9th release announced (Post #299) (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
Bond found out about Blofelds latest plan for world domination by reading Blo's blog, that'll teach him not to publish everything.
If Blo posted bad info, would that mean Blo's blog blows?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
GlennF said:
No, I agree the flowers in the prologue have always been there....absolutely, I was referring to the fact the titles had to be redone, as Mr. Harris describes in the commentary on the Blu-ray, using cells that had been taken from the original titles so they don't look quite the same, especially when I saw them on a 70mm screen. (At least that is what I got from the comments.) I might be wrong. God knows, people will tell you it isn't the first time.
Quite correct. Both the original footage from the prologue, as well as the main titles had been lost. We returned to the 65mm sep masters, which would not fit together well enough for prime time. A new set of titles was created from several frames of the masters, at what we would now consider low rez -- along with numerous other shots. They were good enough for the time being, but not as preservation elements.

They were beautifully executed, highly technical... space fillers.

RAH

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
atfree said:
The website aside.....this situation is like me inviting 100 friends/relatives to a cookout, telling them a "secret" that's not to be told, then being surprised when word gets out. For Jiminy Christmas Sakes, we're talking about the 4k restoration of a movie, not plans for the overthrow of the free world.
Your right but the title of the program was "Large Format Scanning and Recording: Archiving 65mm Restoration Titles on Film"Not that there is a Blu-ray of the 4k coming. Some people have already questioning what date of will be released. It might not ever happen. I agree with another poster in that maybe the thread title should have been "MFL is getting a 4K scan."I do love this forum for things were really starting to get quiet.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
ahollis said:
Your right but the title of the program was "Large Format Scanning and Recording: Archiving 65mm Restoration Titles on Film"Not that there is a Blu-ray of the 4k coming. Some people have already questioning what date of will be released. It might not ever happen. I agree with another poster in that maybe the thread title should have been "MFL is getting a 4K scan."I do love this forum for things were really starting to get quiet.
I asked this earlier.....excluding preservation, what other use does a 4k restoration have?

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
Over and above all other arguments by all other people: Unless an announcement/request was made at the Reel Thing event that none of the information given there should be shared with the public, or unless everyone attending signed a non-disclosure form agreeding to such a condition, in my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with the original poster having shared the inforrmation he shared, and I don't consider it "bad form" in any way.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Of course a few of you don't consider it bad form. That's entitlement, and I understand that's the world we live in. A few of us happen to disagree and did find it bad form for the reasons we've so clearly stated. I doubt anyone at anytime would have happened on that website or bothered to look at it if they had. And an announcement was made at the event that CBS was not ready to announce this yet - what else do you need to hear at an industry event? Of course, anyone there could have come onto any number of boards and did what was done here - but only one person did, so obviously everyone else in attendance were kind enough to do as asked or actually, hard as it is to believe, don't care about or read these forums and were there to hear and see some stuff in a discussion that was about many things.

But we've all said what we're going to say and some are on one side and some are on another side and none of it matters anymore thanks to this thread. Some of us could just take the lead from this thread and say all kinds of things about this, but we've been asked not to and we shall honor that - it won't be long, but until CBS has made it official I'll just keep what I know to myself as I consider that good form.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Michael1 said:
Over and above all other arguments by all other people: Unless an announcement/request was made at the Reel Thing event that none of the information given there should be shared with the public, or unless everyone attending signed a non-disclosure form agreeding to such a condition, in my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with the original poster having shared the inforrmation he shared, and I don't consider it "bad form" in any way.
Despite the loosy-goosiness in The Reel Thing's handling of this not-so-secret "secret" (NSSS) via website promotion of their event, this thread's Title and OP are still somewhat "bad form", whether intentional or not. In particular:
presenter said that CBS was not quite ready to announce anything related to the title yet (theatrical bookings, Blu-ray, etc.), but I thought you guys might want to know that it is definitely coming.
Now, that's a bit of a leap from mere '4k archival work going on'. Not only is it an extrapolation of the NSSS info gleaned specifically from this industry-only event, but also runs counter to the studio's expressed wishes about sharing it wider than the membership...at this time*.

Yet with much of that info already openly available via The Reel Thing site, I can certainly understand how the OP interpreted that as "open for discussion" here. Again, I'm back to the site content as the root of any confusion.

* At least it seems so...we don't know how many hundreds or thousands already knew about this MFL 4k work anecdotally before this event, except what was openly posted to The Reel Thing site and expanded upon here.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
haineshisway said:
Of course a few of you don't consider it bad form. That's entitlement, and I understand that's the world we live in.
The information was publicly available in a website.

Repeat it after me: The information was publicly available in a website.

Whether the OP was at the event, whether people had visited the site before seeing this board is a MOOT POINT.

But thanks for lecturing everybody, anyway. That's entitlement.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Regarding a new 4K scan: At whatever stage it is, that's interesting.

Regarding a new Blu-ray: As usual, I'll believe it when the listing goes up on Amazon.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
"Of course a few of you don't consider it bad form. That's entitlement, and I understand that's the world we live in."
And my understanding is that at least one of the contributors to this thread is upset by the original post only because he (the later contributor) wasn't the first one to post the info, but just HAD to make it clear to everyone else that he already had the info and declined to post it only because it would have been "bad form."

"A few of us happen to disagree and did find it bad form for the reasons we've so clearly stated."

In my opinion, some of us have our own special definitions of "bad form" that applies only to others and not to themselves.

"I doubt anyone at anytime would have happened on that website or bothered to look at it if they had."

As far as I'm concerned, this is a nonsensical argument, especially in reference to the subset of people who follow the Home Theater Forum.

"And an announcement was made at the event that CBS was not ready to announce this yet - what else do you need to hear at an industry event?"

The OP didn't "announce" anything. One could argue that his use of the word "definitely" in his statement that a new Blu-Ray and/or theatrical release are "definitely coming" was not the best choice in this case. But as others have noted, the idea that this new restoration is happening WITHOUT plans for another HD release (and possibly theatrical release) strains credulity beyond all bounds. Because, as others have also noted, the only other reason for a new restoration without plans for a home video or theatrical reissue would be for purely archival purposes, and things just don't happen that way anymore.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Can't you just feel the livid? Can't you just hear the stamping of foot? Can't you just see the laptop frisbeeing across the room? Anyway, I wonder if this thread has set a record for most posts in a 12 hour period, I don't know, but it got me wondering. Probably not even close.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Yes. The day started off with an announcement that made me happy. Just the fact that someone was working on the movie meant someone wasn't content to let MFL exist the way it currently is. Whether they are successful or not...who knows. (Well, I am sure some do...but that is probably another top secret.)Then the criticism began... verging on vitriol and pontificating (At least to me. Perhaps I am too sensitive.)I had already seen the page on the internet about the event that took place on the weekend when I googled another movie after reading something on another site. Didn't think it was a big deal and didn't post anything about it since I figured if I saw it...everyone has. The fact that it was an event that anyone could buy admittance to also takes it out of the secret category.Still don't get the big to do. Is Homeland Security being threatened? It is the restoration of a movie.Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some express it with the point of view that they are absolutely correct and if others don't get it there is something wrong with them.Thanks for the original posting, Chuck. I don't think you did anything wrong. And now let the daggers start to fly. My skin is tough.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It just seems odd to me--especially in this day and age of instant communications & social media--that a company would release classified information to a select group...expecting that it would stay secret.

CBS had the option to NOT say anything to anyone.

This has nothing to do with members of this board feeling entitled about anything.

I've also never understood the concept of trying to "embargo" a news release until a specific time/date. Must not really be "news" then, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks