What's new

My DVD Player is dying... (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
After about 3 years of faithful service, my DVD player (a Proscan PS8260Z) is finally on its last legs as a DVD player due to its video ailments (still plays CDs fine). When I play a DVD, there are these strange white bands of scrambled pixels on the top and bottom of the displayed video (like in the black letterbox sections). Every now and then, it'll show scrambled subtitles in the those black areas. When I go to the menus, none of the selections are highlighted, so I have no idea when I'm selecting when I hit the "enter". It's seems like the overlay video processor of the DVD player has died on me. I guess this isn't worth getting fixed?
Sigh...I don't look forward to buying/researching another DVD player with the multitude of players out there now. (I know, I know, just fork over the bucks and get the Panasonic 91). :)
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Kevin P

Screenwriter
All the vibrations from your Sunosubs and Sun-o-speakers must have vibrated the video overlay processor loose. :) Does whacking the player cause the overlays to change?
You could be like me, and fork over even more bucks and get a Sony 9000ES!
biggrin.gif
But I'm not being helpful now, am I? :)
If I had to buy a DVD player right now, the RP91 would be at the top of my list.
I just looked at your website, your TV isn't progressive, and you have a DVL-909. Couldn't you just use that for now? Then get a PS player later on when you upgrade to a HD-ready set?
KJP

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,
I very recently replaced my trusty 8680Z with a Technics DVD-A10. It's got no bass management, so in order to hear DVD-A with proper bass you'll need a receiver that does bass management on the 5.1 ins (very few do) or some other solution. HOWEVER, just as a DVD-Video machine, if you don't need progressive scan, the DVD-A is impossible to beat at the $350 price tag that J&R's is selling them at (original MSRP $1200). It is 19 lbs, built like a TANK, with internal decoder for DD/DTS/DVD-A (no bass management for DTS and DVD-A). It has no chroma bug, a better picture than the Proscan by a noticable margin. The only problem is downconversion is not as good. Look for my thread celebrating the purchase here or read my review in the reviews section. Also, look around the net for DVD-A10 reviews. It's a hell of a player and I would recommend it. My Proscan is going to soldier on in another room.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Phil, thanks for the suggestion/review. I'm not sure about DVD-A (may take a wait-n-see attitude where the whole DVD-A/SACD thing shakes out). I just remembered that Uncle Bush is throwing $300 my way in September, so I may actually splurge on a DVD player in the next couple of months. But that Panasonic RP91 still looks awfully inviting as well.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks