What's new

My dream list of topics and guests for a 3rd "I Love The 80s" (Feedback, please!) (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
The list is half-completed with the addition of David Bowie's "Blue Jean" to 1984.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

1981 is probably going to be the hardest year to fill up.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Yes, but their first go-around was covered on the first "I Love The 80s".

I did mention their song "Downtown Life" in my list of topics for the 1988 episode.

Anyway, I updated the listings a little more. I added Rula Lenska's Alberto VO5 commercials and Grace Jones to 1981, The English Beat to 1982 and "Superman III" and "Anna To The Infinite Power" to 1983.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Coming in closer to completion of the list.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I did some switching, moving David Bowie to 1980 with "Ashes To Ashes" and deleting "Blue Jean" in 1984, replacing it with the movie "The Neverending Story".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Unlike the story, this list will end soon.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
With the addition of "Parenthood", I now have only 4 years left to complete.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I wish Laura Branigan didn't die...She would've made a great commentator.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
1982 is "in the can", and the commentator list has been completed, too.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

All that's left is 1980, 1981 and 1983.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I did a topic modification on 1988, inspired by my viewing of the Vixen video "Edge Of A Broken Heart". I added them to the list, replacing Aspen, Colorado.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Already imagining the quips they could come up with about the group.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
With a little shuffling of the topics, I've completed 1983. It's unusual that I've got the years filled from the year of my birth onwards. As an 80s buff, I should some more about 1980 and 1981.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

We're just about a little over 20 topics away from putting this thing to bed.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
The list has been updated again, with some topics shuffled around and 1981 just 5 or 6 additions away from being complete.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Sorry for all the updates...It's just that my usual 80s hang-out website is down and I'm waiting for it to come back up.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
It's been a few weeks, but I've decided to do a little more updating of the list.

Also, after these updates, I've decided that I can't really fill up the two years before I was born, so they're going to stay as they are.

I just wanted to say thanks to everybody who offered me their assistance. You've helped me a lot, and I can't thank you enough. If Michael Allred's friend contacts me, I'll make sure to mention all of you.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

ROCK ON!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
How about the "Cant Stop The Classics" music fad from the 80s? Highlights from popular classical music set to a kickin beat. I remember owning and enjoying these on cassette tape. Did John Williams or Boston Pops have something to do with these?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy,

It was the "Hooked On ______" fad. Hmmmm, where's my Hooked On Classics CD?? It was the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Louis Clark.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I was 3 years old in July of 1980. I remember tons of things from that time. Here is my list of things, good and bad. IN no particular order of years...

Charmkins (little plastic dolls that hung on jewelery)

Sea Wees (little plastic mermaid dolls)

Jem and the Holograms (cartoon turned fashion doll)

My Secret Diary (a diary that had a lipgloss key and when you opened it, it revealed more makeup)

Skater clothing (including, H.A.S, street vision, vans, dregs and skate hog)

Poison rings (little rings that had a secret compartment that held stuff *coughdrugscough*)

Mood lipstick (lip color that was alien green in the tube, but turned red or pink once applied)

Bangles (rubber or plastic bracelettes in groups of 20 or more)

Brushes that had a spray bottle in the handle to hold hairspray of course!

POGS (little round chips that you battled your opponent for)

I'll think of more later..

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I also remember the single "Stars on 45" from 1981. Gotta love a medley of Beatles tunes set to a disco beat.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
The 80s are like my narcotic...Why else am I updating after I said I was done?

Here goes...

I added Kevin Hewell's suggestion of "Stars On 45" and my own addition of the Manhattan Transfer to 1981. I also added George Benson to 1980.

Finally, I shuffled around 2 items from 1987 and 1988, moving the first "Leisure Suit Larry" game to its' true spot in '87 and taking "Wiseguy" to '88.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I hope this is it.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Does it ever stop with me? I honestly don't know.

Anyway, after having viewed my newly purchased DVD of "Casual Sex?", I decided to put that into 1988. I deleted "Tapeheads" and put "...Sex?" in its' place.

I feel it's a better fit, not to mention at 4 of the people on my commentator lists (2 from each) were involved in the movie.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I hope this is it.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Updated one more time...

For 1980, I added "Foxes", "The Great Rock 'N' Roll Swindle" and "Forbidden Zone".

For 1985, I added "Hunter". I thought it was on the list, but apparently it isn't, so I put it in 1985, replacing "Perfect".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And perfect I'm not.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Table Top Videogames.. remember when you could buy pacman, frogger and other games in these little table-top format that ran on 4 "C" Batteries? Those were cool.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Thanks for the suggestion, Danny. I added it to 1980 after consulting RetroCrush's article on it and seeing that they were around that year (in "Empire Strikes Back" format, no less).

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

It's down to the wire, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread