What's new

My dog has been put to sleep (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Radioman970
Your story brought tears to my eyes.
Thanks, James. I'm sorry to hear about your co-worker's dog. That's horrible. I can't imagine having to go through something like that. As it was I cried for a week. I was able to fainally talk it out with a couple of close friends whom I wasn't able to get in touch with during the week and that helped immensely. We also spent a lot of time discussing how to memorialize him. In the end I got one of those multi-photo frames and put together a photo arrangement. I mention this only because the act of working on something for him helped me, instead of sitting there missing the jingling of his tags.
We did get another dog a few months later. Maybe it was too early, but our house felt empty. He's a rescue. He was found on the streets, covered in soot. He was turned in to the shelter and the rescue group took him when his time was up. They estimated him at being around 18 months, but I think he's a bit older. He's a loving and affectionate dog. Like Monty he latched himself on to me (despite spending most of his time with my wife), and he adores the kids. I can't help but look at him sometimes and wonder if he misses his old family, and what happened to him. He was clearly loved so we can't imagine someone just dumping him, and he certainly isn't the kind who'd run away (he wouldn't even walk on grass when we got him).
His name is Stanley.

Incidentally, in my forum browsing, I go into the individual forums (i make daily rounds through my favorites) and have New Posts selected in the Forum Nav bar at the top. All new posts appear at the top of the page.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Paul, I've got to run but I'll respond to you post as soon as. That is one cute dog.
Mike Frezon said:
James:  On your "My Subscriptions" page...select the Activity tab...and then Forums.  Then, where it says "Settings" (next to the play/pause buttons (which you want on "play")...click that and put a check in the box that says "Summary View."  All recently bumped threads should then come to the top of that list. That's how I surf the forum and it's very efficient. 
I did that. thank you. :) I noticed ones with new posts, I think that's where I'm coming from... they are often buried in the list. Now that would be great, to have those come up first!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Stanley looks wonderfully sweet. "jingling his tags" I kept the collars and tags of both mine I buried. I even found a small collar in a drawer and was trying to figure out where it came from. Then I was watching some home movies and saw Goldie as a puppy wearing it. Was happy to have that. I also have a collar that my other dog Bear broke when she jumped from the car window to chase a cat and I had a hold of the collar in an attempt to keep her in there. lol "working on something". I did the same thing. I made a video of Bear and Goldie. It's HERE. a day or 2 after Goldie died. Can't watch that with dry eyes. :*) They were as fun as they looked. Goldie had an instant attachment to me that I'll never forget. I think it was because I was there when she was born most likely, and was the first person she saw when her eyes opened. I was also the last person she saw before she died. It's that begining and ending thing, and all that in between. I lost them both, but those times are something I'll never forget. You hear from/read about people saying that losing them is too hard and they won't get another...? I wouldn't trade my time with those 2 for nothing. Same with my current 2 "kids". btw, Bear had 13 pups including Goldie. Hurt to give them away around here. I wish I had been more selective, gotten their first shots, and maybe took each dog to the persons house so I could see the environment they will be in. I still have anxiety thinking about that. Luckily, several were families with kids... I told each person "any time in this dogs life, if you find you can't take care of him, bring the dog back to me no questions asked". I should have put that on paper for each person too. I have a rescue dog now as well. I also wonder where she came from. Her name is Honey Bun. the rescuer, a tenacious fella who has been interviewed on CNN for his efforts against suspected animal abusers in this area, was asked by some workers at a nearby prison to rescue her. She's a landseer/newfy. Her coloring makes it look like she's wearing a smile.
ae6964ff_honey02142010.jpeg
The prison workers were having breakfast and she showed up, stole a honey bun from somebody. They said it looked like she had a big smile on her face while she was walking away. So she got named "Honey Bun". I had to keep that name. ...the rescuer was called when the warden put out a shoot on sight on her. And he said he had to borrow a large trap to get her. She's a great dog. Scooter was very jealous at first... here's a picture of Scooter basically being a butthole. "Who's this intruder?!!!" :D And Honey Bun would just stand there and cry "why don't you like me?" lol
192faef6_honeyscooter302142010.jpeg
But now a few years later they are inseparable. best of friends. the rescuer put that second picture on his web site captioned "Honey Bun and new friend". I always find that funny... even though it's true now.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Sumnernor said:
I tried to play your video and could not because of music rights (SME-music-content) by GEMA in Germany!
Sorry about that. It does play here in the US luckily. It has Mother and child Reunion by Paul Simon on it, along with noise from the home movie in the background.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'll have to watch the video when I get home from work. YouTube is blocked. I have the tags and collars from both of 'my' dogs. My parents gave me their dog's after he died (18 yrs!) because he loved me most. One of the last times I saw him he was blind and deaf. We were all standing in a circle and he went around smelling everyone's feet and when he got to mine his tail went crazy. We had to cut off Monty's collar when he got his leg stuck through it and I couldn't get it off him. It's hanging in my office with a clay paw impression my wife made for me when he got sick. A friend of my wife's had to put their dog down last week (14 yrs). She said they won't get another because she can't imagine having to make that decision again. My wife said it was like losing a child. It very much is. And Monty taught us so much about love it would have been a waste not to share that love with another animal in need. And, man, was it hard reading those adoption listings. There were so many dogs we wanted to take in but they weren't a fit for our family. Honey Bun sounds like she wandered away from home and got lost. Stanley went bonkers when some stray dog was wandering around our front yard. I didn't have time to deal with it then but it didn't have a collar. The second we were free my wife and I went out looking for it. She found the owners frantically looking and pointed them in the direction we saw it heading. She told them if it had a collar we'd've grabbed it and called them but they ignored her. (they did find her immediately afterwards). I can't imagine the stupidity of people not putting a collar on their dogs. I'm happy Honey Bun found a happy home, and a companion to get into trouble with.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
James, I watched your video. Wonderful to see them playing so happily together. I'm not sure I have much video of Monty. Mostly shot the kids, but he's there playing with them or hanging around nearby. There's been buzz from my wife and kids about getting a second dog. I wouldn't mind a second dog, but Stanley's a bit territorial. If he didn't like that dog immediately there'd be trouble. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Paul D G
There's been buzz from my wife and kids about getting a second dog. I wouldn't mind a second dog, but Stanley's a bit territorial. If he didn't like that dog immediately there'd be trouble. :)
Paul: A good rescue group will be sure you and your existing dog would be matched up with the right pup.
It took a while for us to find the right match several months ago. Take a peek again at the early pages of that thread and you'll see a real "twist" at Post #14. And, then again, in post #22. Our rescue group wanted to be sure we were matched up with the right dog...for our pre-existing dog's sake, for the sake of the newly adopted dog...and for our own sanity. A bad match is nothing but a huge headache and heartache to all involved.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
@ Paul, I'm glad you enjoyed it. They were really special. Will never stop missing them. Good luck on a new one if you get another. When I got Scooter I sort of supervised her with Goldie and Bear, they got right up to her wagging and sniffing... Scooter just lowered her head and waited. Scooter ain't no dummy either! haha! Scooter and Bear became the best of friends and I credit Scooter with giving Bear her last of many additional puppy-hoods. Goldie mainly stuck by me. Talking about collars. The larger dog in the video, Bear, and puppy Goldie always had a ball playing together. Bear would do something very cute.. she'd take Goldie's collar gently in her mouth and kind of pull her a little and then let go. Well, I was there watching TV a few months after that video was made, and noticed them tussling too much. Bear got her bottom teeth and jaw stuck through the collar/Goldie's neck. Goldie thought Bear just won't let go, or perhaps worse and she started pulling and whipping around. It was really hurting Bear. I got in there and had trouble getting them loose. I had a helpless feeling... still get anxiety thinking about it. Goldie actually bit Bear on the nose breaking the skin a bit... it was fairly awful trying to work them loose. Finally I got Goldie loose and poor Bear, I felt bad about that whole thing. They didn't play like that for a while, but soon they went back to being chums. But that was scary. I would take their collars off when I wasn't there to supervise, but I guess it wasn't necessary since Bear was smart enough to not do that again.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

This is Buster. Sadly, I had to take him for his last ride the week before Christmas. I swear I can still hear him around the house.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ChristopherG

This is Buster. Sadly, I had to take him for his last ride the week before Christmas. I swear I can still hear him around the house.
What a mug, Christopher!
It is weird how, for a long time, you still expect to see them when you walk into a room, etc.
I'm sorry for your loss.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Thanks Mike and yes, ol' Buster had some expressive looks. I still will accidentally drop food and think he'll clean up after me. I do miss the stubborn ol beagle...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They do make good vacuum cleaners!
How old was Buster (a great name for a dog, IMO)? It looks like he was a dignified old fella.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
He was 13 and change. 5th dog I have had as my friend in life and his tenure was the longest. I am conflicted on whether or not there will be a 6th but I guess a bit of time will change that.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Favorite beagle movie scene (well, not including Snoopy at that sadistic little girl's house in Snoopy Come Home HERE ON YOUTUBE) is this from USED CARS from around 1980, starts about 2 minutes in... (careful, may be some adult language) [VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUs1HZIrMMQ[/VIDEO] That dog was brilliant. Should have won an award or something.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Hi Mike,

Funny you should mention it, but the thought of having a dog around again has been haunting me a lot lately - in a good way. The only thing I am considering is to go the rescue route as you have - I must say that your example has been enlightening for me. Any pointers?

Cheers,
Chris

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yay!

Good for you, Chris...and not just about considering the idea of rescuing a dog...but to be able to open yourself to the possibility of giving a deserving animal your love and attention after losing Buster. :thumbsup:

The first thing I would say to do is to start looking into your local rescue groups. Maybe you know someone who has rescued a dog to ask for a recommendation or referral. One of the things that surprised me about the adoption process was how "difficult" it can be--in terms of paperwork and waiting. You see, the rescue groups are always looking out for what's best for the dogs. They want a good match...which means they will ask you to fill out loads of paperwork and even do a home visit to check out your property (fenced yard, enough room for a certain size dog, etc.) and to interview you, too! They will try to learn what type of dog you want and if that breed will fit your lifestyle.

If you've got a breed in mind, be sure to put that out there and if adamant--stick to your guns! But if a pup comes along which melts your heart and you want to change your mind...you can be open to doing that too. Just let the rescue group know.

Each group has its own fee structure. I was always surprised that rescue groups would charge people to adopt dogs..but I have since learned about all the medical, food and boarding costs these groups have to rescue these dogs and prepare them for their future homes.

There are lots of dogs out there in need of homes. LOTS of them and, odds are, you can find one that's right for you who is in need of a good home. You will likely wonder how such a dog could ever have been given up, surrendered or abandoned by a prior owner.

Our rescue group has adoption clinics almost every weekend at one pet shop or another (commonly PetSmart). Those are a great way to meet a big chunk of their dogs. It is really fun, too. I was surprised to hear from the head of our local group that even at those clinics, the groups are watching the would-be owners to see which of them are really trying to connect with the dogs. The variety of dogs is amazing. When we were recently looking: we met all kinds of mutts, a St. Bernard, a Coon Hound, Pit Bull mixes, you name it. Every shape and size.

Know your limitations in terms of what size dog would work best for you and start looking! Sometimes a great match can happen quickly and, like I said before, depending on how particular you might be...it might be awhile before you find the dog you're looking for.

Feel free to ask about anything I might have forgotten to mention.

Good luck!

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Mike Frezon said:
I wonder if there are any updates on Paul and Stanley...and from ChristopherG?
Thanks for asking, Mike. It'll be a year next week that we brought Stanley home and he has settled in nicely as part of the family. He's almost a completely different dog from when we got him. Last year we couldn't even get him to walk on grass and now he loves his walks through the park and chases squirrels, rabbits, and birds with glee. He hates when the kids go to bed and insists they play with him as soon as he hears the words 'Good night.'

20130723_144748-500.jpg

The above picture was taken less than two minutes after we brought him home from the kennel after our vacation. He ran straight for his favorite toy and wanted to play. That's another thing - he wouldn't play with toys when we got him. That toy he has there was one of Monty's favorite toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks