What's new

My dad asks: buy mom Windows 8 laptop or Mac laptop? (1 Viewer)

Is switching to Windows 8 harder than switching to a Mac?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
If the Win7-type desktop is what she's used to, you can still buy a Win7 laptop. Amazon has several.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_5_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=windows%207%20laptop&sprefix=Windows7%2Caps%2C286

And yes, you still have to uninstall all the assorted junk. That's been the case with laptops ever since WinBook went out of business. I always used to laugh when the reviewers listed "no included applications" as a minus for Winbook products. Having it come with nothing but Windows installed was a big plus!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ChristopherG said:
I have been windows user all my life but last year switched to a Macbook Pro at work. Hate it. I do realize that it might be all the security SW my employers forces, but I can't wait for tech refresh to get this out of my office.
How long have you been using the Mac at work? It takes a good month to become comfortable with OS X way of life.

That said, I've never used a Mac professionally. And I don't know if I could. Niche tools aren't available (running in Parallels is an option, but not sure I'd want that to be the backbone of a pro setup). And the office is powered by Outlook and Office, which are better on Windows.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My office PC is a very slow and cumbersome XP box which is supposed to be replaced by years end with a Win7 box. I wish they would replace it with an iMac since our BlackBerries are being phased out in favor of iPhones and iPads, but our desktop IT group is very Windows-centric.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I've been using it for over a year. The problem is that it just doesn't seem suited for a large corporate network environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks