What's new

My Current Setup (1 Viewer)

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
Well over the weekend I did quite a bit with my projects list some of which are not so much theater related but had to wait until I got the internet. Now I do have big plans on what I want to do in our new house but for now and my current setup, things are working great and getting my feet wet a little. Anyway here is what I have done...

1) Got the internet

2) Configured my Netgear WNDR3700 router as I wanted it.

3) Plugged in and setup my Western Digital 1TB drive to the router.

4) Got my beautiful LG 47LE5400 TV networked able to play the saved movies on the 1TB drive and have the Netflix set up on it.

I have to say I am impressed with how well the moves saved on the 1TB drive play on the TV. The image looks great (WAY better than I thought they would) and the playing itself is smooth and no skipping or weird lag issues. I cant wait to build a media server though and take things to a whole new level. One thing that I am wondering though. I would like to just get local channels and I am wondering what I need to do that? I don't need to get a basic cable package through the local cable company do I? If I recall I can get some kind of "antenna" or box that will get me local and local HD channels correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
All I have is an old, roof-top, beam antenna, going to "Antenna 2" on my TV. It's not even an "HD" antenna. Works great.

Nick

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
Well im thinking of something a little smaller and possibly be inside. We may get cable eventually down the road but it may be a while. The wife and I would like to at least get some of the local stuff for news and what not.

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
For now I should be able to just pick up something from wally world or something to get OTA stuff right?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, you can try something small to see if it will work.

Check out AntennaWeb for what will work in your location.

BTW - There's not difference between a 'regular' antenna and an "HD" antenna (other than maybe the price). An "HD antenna" just some marketing weinie's idea to sell more stuff.

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
So I will be just fine with a "regular antenna"? Im assuming your saying if I buy an "HD antenna" I would be buying into a marketing scam?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
So I will be just fine with a "regular antenna"? Im assuming your saying if I buy an "HD antenna" I would be buying into a marketing scam?

Yes, a regular antenna works fine, I use a roof-top that I got from Radio Shack for $10 (they were trying to get rid of their antennas).

"Scam" might be a bit harsh, maybe marketing "hype".

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
Oh hype kinda like Apple....lol Sorry it was in the open. Yeah I get what your saying though. Well perhaps I will look at Target, Wal-mart and Radio Shack and see what I can find. Thanks a lot for your help.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FWIW, I have a very old antenna in my atic that I used to use to get my local digital channels. DirecTV (and now FIOS) has my locals so I don't use it, but I figured I'd leave it 'just in case" (would hate to miss the Super Bowl because of a cable outage).

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Antenna quality is directly related to it looking like an antenna.

In other words, if it looks like an old "bunch of sticks" antenna, it will work better than one of those gadgets that looks like wings or a UFO. Don't waste money on cutesy stuff, go straight to a TV shop and get a real antenna. The cost will likely be less than wally world or BBig BBox, and it will work better, too.

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
So then based on the description I am better off getting an outdoor antenna? How much would that run money wise?

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Outdoor antennas are much more effective than indoor antennas. However, you could try an indoor antenna first, as an experiment, to see if you can get by with one. Get one at a store that has a liberal return policy and give it a shot. However, just like old rabbit ears, you may have to move it around every time you change channels. With an indoor antenna you get about 10% of the reception that you would get with an outdoor antenna but that may be enough if the signals are close and strong and you don't have any large structures or hills between you and the signal.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What a lot of people do (used to do) is get an outdoor antenna and mount it in their attic. You can skip the long verticale pole. It's not quite as good as on the roof, but way better than a set-top. And it lets your house keep that suburban motif.

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
Well the tough part with doing that is I am in a split level and I would have to find a very clever way to run that cable from the attic to the media room in the basement. actually now that I think of it the could be a glimmer of hope doing it that way. There is a coax already ran from the media room to the other end of the house in the laundry room (where all the cables seem to be). So if I did a splitter and ran a cable from the attic down the master bedroom wall (or something) into the laundry room and connect it to the splitter along with the cable already ran from the laundry room to the media room. That would then complete my connection and probably do the trick.

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
Wow thats awesome, and cheap. Thanks alot maybe that will be the one I will get. The remote control rotation is a pretty slick feature to.

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
On last question on this. I Have a couple bedrooms that I would like to get the local channels too so just so I know I am on track with everything I can install the antenna, then run the cable to a 1-in-4-out splitter and then run cables from the splitter to the bedrooms correct?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You can, but you may need a signal booster. I suggest you try it first without. If the signal is weak, get the booster.

Make sure you first get a good signal without the splitter so you will know if its the splitter causing problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks