What's new

My Chinese friend wants to go to United States because there are more opportunities... true or false (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
is this statement true?

i told her that china is economically very powerful, because they can produce items in great quantity, cheap too. i just went to canton fair a few months ago in guangzhou, and people from all over the planet came there for business. it was ultra cool to see.

so, in my mind, i just dont believe that US could offer more opportunities... she got a masters degree in economy.

can you guys please chime in on this topic? i need advice.

thanks

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
hmm - right now, I think it depends on where in the US. Some places are doing better than others. I have no reference point for China so I can't offer much there. I wonder how well a professional's wages compare between China and the US...

edit:

So with a quick google I found this site that discusses average salaries in China and this site which compares China and the US economically. The salary info indicates much lower pay rates, however I am guessing that the cost of living scale is commensurate...none of this really answers the question about opportunity however. I think there is probably plenty of that available in both countries...

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
"My Chinese friend wants to go to United States because there are more opportunities ... true or false?"

False.

There is less opportunity in the United States than ever before for the people here.

It's getting worse not better.

It's getting harder not easier.

Tell your friend to go to Australia.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Less slave labor here, but not a booming job market either. As to Australia, pretty country but not as well.

Also depends on what they want to do.. if they want, there is free land in Kansas, Nebraska, North & South Dakota, and they can move there and make a decent life at a decent income for the area and be OK. It depends on what your goal is. If they think they can come to the US and move straight to LA or NY and strike out, they may find some rough sledding.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
First off, I'd say that like most employment situations it depends more on your network than anything else.

Secondly, although in general things might be tight here, I'd expect that a bilingual English/Chinese speaking national would get a lot of attention in the business world, and probably jump to the front of the queue.

Finally, despite the overall awesomeness of the HTForum's After Hours forum, it's probably not the best place to go for continent jumping employment advise.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Without more information on your friend’s background, goals and desires it is impossible to provide a good answer.

Also, unless things have changed recently the response about going to [COLOR= #181818]Australia is bad advice. Historically it is incredibly difficult for foreign nations to get work visas in Australia. [/COLOR]

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I'd be interested in finding out where this 'free land' is in Nebraska, considering that's where I'm from.....Now, 'cheap' land, sure. Especially in the Sandhills, but she'd have to be resourceful as career opportunities would be less than more populated areas. But, like everyone else has said, all depends on what she wants to (or can) do.....
Originally Posted by mattCR

Also depends on what they want to do.. if they want, there is free land in Kansas, Nebraska, North & South Dakota, and they can move there and make a decent life at a decent income for the area and be OK.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson

First off, I'd say that like most employment situations it depends more on your network than anything else.

Secondly, although in general things might be tight here, I'd expect that a bilingual English/Chinese speaking national would get a lot of attention in the business world, and probably jump to the front of the queue.

Finally, despite the overall awesomeness of the HTForum's After Hours forum, it's probably not the best place to go for continent jumping employment advise.

Well, I'm a bilingual English/Mandarin speaker, and I'm not exactly jumping on the fast plane to Shanghai...

It really depends on what her expectations are, and whether her qualifications meet anything that a Chinese company might require. But at the end of the day, as Al suggests, with China I think it really does depend on who you know, not what you know.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Western Nebraska, just further west then Hastings, had a deal where, like Western Kansas, if you'd agree to build a home and live there, they'd offer you the land. Not a lot of land, just some land enough to erect a house on. You'd have to talk county by county.

Examples:

http://www.kansasfreeland.com/

Here's Nebraska's Free Land offer: http://www.medicinevalleyedc.com/free-land

http://nebraskaccess.ne.gov/freeland.asp

• Central City Several lots still available in February 2010. Those building homes must build a home with a minimum of $100,000 taxable value. Contact Miles McGinnis, city administrator, 308-946-3806
  • Curtis (Program 1) Ed Cole, Consolidated Telephone - 800-742-7464, [email protected] http://www.curtis-ne.com (build single family house) (Program 2) Doug Schultz , city manager, 308-367-4122 http://www.curtis-ne.com (build house overlooking Arrowhead Meadows Golf Course)
  • Elwood Residential lots for new home construction. Contact Todd Wilson, village attorney or Jim Varvel, Security Bank, 308-785-3366.
  • Kenesaw Residential lots for new home construction. Lots still available as of February 2010. Contact Mark Keiser, President Adams County Bank, 109 North Smith Avenue Kenesaw, NE 68956, 402-752-3235, or Lila Gamble, city clerk, 402-752-3222.
  • Loup City Residential lots in a new subdivision as of June 2005. Contact Wesley Liethoff, Sherman County Development Board, 308-750-3133.

Originally Posted by KevinGress

I'd be interested in finding out where this 'free land' is in Nebraska, considering that's where I'm from.....Now, 'cheap' land, sure. Especially in the Sandhills, but she'd have to be resourceful as career opportunities would be less than more populated areas. But, like everyone else has said, all depends on what she wants to (or can) do.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks