What's new

My brothers, sisters, roomates, friends, uncles, daughter??? (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The thread title made me think of

"I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate."
"Which makes us?"
"Absolutely nothing..."

I didn't have my caffeine yet so this thread has sprained my brain.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Similar question. My sister got married in June. Her husband's mother is obviously her mother-in-law. Is she also my mother-in-law or no? I don't think so, but would like other opinions.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My first wife's ex-husband and I got along great--we'd sorta hang out for a few hours when he'd drop off the kids or at other times. I sorta started thinking of him as my "brother-in-law", especially when the marriage soured and we started commiserating about my soon-to-be ex.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I don't mean to make light of what must have been a difficult time, but I suppose the one person who knew exactly what you were going through would've been that guy, since he'd been through it before.

I hope he never said "told ya so"... ;)

Andy_S

Second Unit
My dad's mom's sister (my great aunt?) married Sonny Bono's father after Sonny's father divorced (she became Sonny's step-mom). So how am I related to Cher??:D

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

It was back in the 80s, and frankly there was enough of a sense of relief to finally be ending that nightmare that it didn't really hurt at all, despite the financial ruin.
I got custody of the Sony XBR, still going strong in my bedroom, so all was not lost.

He never said "I told ya so" thankfully, though his own experience with splitting from her was not pretty either-he got stuck paying for her boob job.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Another thing I don't get is when people call brothers and sisters who only share one parent a step-brother or step-sister. They're still related bloodwise, so how can they be step-siblings? I always thought step-siblings were due to a parent marrying another person with children.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Stephen,

I think the proper description for brothers and sisters that only share one parent is "half-sister" or "half-brother". Stepsister or Stepbrother would be correct if the person in question was the child of your stepmom or stepdad from a relationship other than with your natural parent.

I.E. If your mom died, and your dad remarried a woman who already had children from a previous marriage, those kids would be your stepsisters or stepbrothers. If that woman subsequently had a child with your dad, that child would be your half-sister or half-brother.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Thanks for the response. I understand the half-brother and sister part, but I still hear a lot of people refer to them as step-brothers or sisters, which always puzzled me. I know not everyone does, but I've seen quite a few do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks