What's new

My 1000ES arrived! Some initial impressions (1 Viewer)

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Hello All!

As some of you may recall I was looking to buy a Sony 4ES just a few months back, especially since as a minor functionary of Sony-owned Columbia Pictures I am able to purchase at the employee price (nearly half off retail on the ES line). Well just after I placed my order the 4ES was discontinued. After two months of waiting I got a note from the employee purchase program informing me that my order was canceled and suggesting I order one of the new models. I checked out the preliminary specs and decided that the 1000ES was the right mix of features and power for me. So I placed my order. They said I would get it in August (the downside of the employee purchase program is having to wait 4-6weeks if they don't have it in-stock at the on-lot employee store). So you can imagine my shock when I came home on Tuesday and found it waiting!

For reference my old receiver was a DD-only STR-DE725. My speakers are Energy Take-5s with the 8" sub and I live in a medium-size studio apartment. I unpacked everything immediately and had it all hooked up in under an hour. A few minutes later I had my speakers balanced and I began a medley of listening to a variety of DTS, DD and older Pro-Logic sources.

Sound wise this is a vast improvement over my old DE725. Much cleaner and more detailed. I don't consider my ears golden, but these were not subtle improvements. I would call it comparable to the 4ES I auditioned in a showroom, and much better than my parent's Onkyo 500 or a Denon 1803 I tried once. Bass is deep and well defined, as are the highs and even the midrange, which is especially telling since the midrange is generally the weak spot with speakers like mine. Incidentally I believe that the 1000ES does not use the new S-Master digital amplifiers used in all of the other new ES receivers. There's no S-Master logo on the box or on the machine itself and it isn't mentioned in the manual. So I assume it uses good old fashioned analog amps (and from what I can hear, probably the same ones found in the 4ES). This was my first experience with DTS on my system (my parents have it on their system) and I am generally impressed with the improvement in sound quality. I just finished watching The Thin Red Line, one of my all-time favorites in glorious full-bitrate DTS and I must say it was a wonderful experience, one of the best soundtracks ever. DD also sounds terrific on the machine as evidenced by screening a few clips from The World is Not Enough (one of my favorite DD tracks). In fact I would say that DD on my system now sounds as good as DTS does on my parents (bear in mind their speakers are not as good, in addition to their receiver). Pro-logic also benefited when I put in Robocop Criterion, although I did notice that I had to manually select Pro-Logic II decoding. The auto format detect (AFD) setting (the default) switches DD 2.0 to regular pro-logic only. However switching from AFD to Pro-Logic II meant that stereo tracks, such as the one on my Bjork All is Full of Love DVD ended up getting the DPL treatment as well so I am learning to switch back to AFD after listening to a pro-logic source.

Aesthetically, I find the machine rather elegant. Yes it is silver (a black version is supposedly available), but I rather like the color. The front panel is nicely minimalist. There's even a little panel to conceal the A/V inputs.

Features are best read elsewhere, but a few worth noting are that it switches up to 2 component sources and 5 S-Video. Like the 4ES, it can up-convert composite signals to S-video, which I find very convenient since now I don't have to change settings on my TV when I switch between my DVD player, Dreamcast and VCR (my DVD player is an old Panasonic A110 which does not have component outs).

So the bottom line is that I am absolutely thrilled with the 1000ES and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others. It's definitely worth every penny of the $600 retail price.

- Guy

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Questions:

1. Describe the remote. LCD? Learning?

2. Does the 1000 have pre-outs for any/all channels?

3. This unit has on-board amplification for 7.1, right?

4. On-screen display?

Thanks in advance. :D

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Angelo-

1) There's no lcd, save for a small display which tells you which input you are using. Yes it is a learning remote. It's a tad on the small side, but I generally like it, although the small joystick you use to navigate the setup menus on the receiver takes some getting used to.

2) No pre-outs (or if there are they aren't mentioned in the manual).

3) Yup, 100Wx7, although I'm currently using only five speakers (no real need for that center back in my small apartment, but I'm glad I've got the capability for later).

4) No onscreen display. I wish there were for setup, but the front-panel display is fairly easy to understand and efficient once you learn to use the little joystick on the remote.

- Guy

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Craig-

I belive this is the 1ES replacement. It's the bottom end of the new ES line. The other models are the 2000ES, 3000ES, 5000ES and 7000ES. I does not have pre-outs.
- Guy

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Interesting.

Seems like the 1000ES is not exactly the 'new 1ES' nor the 'new 2ES'.

It has on-board amplification for 7.1, which neither the 1 nor 2ES have. It has no OSD, like the 1ES. It has one set of multichannel inputs, like the 1ES. It has no pre-amp outputs, unlike both the 1 and 2ES.

I'll stick with my 2 and 4ES for now. :)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Right, that's what I said:

"it [1000ES] has no OSD, like the 1ES [which also does not]"

Sorry if the post was confusing... :frowning:

Daniel I

Stunt Coordinator
Any chance of any pics? Pweezzzee Edddieee!

I would love to see the back and Remote for this unit.

Thanks in advance!

:D

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Thanks Guy.
Looks like they recycled the remote off the DVP-900 DVD player.

Why no preouts :angry: ?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I like the style of this unit.

The lack of pre-outs is disappointing. I can't confirm from your picture whether there is one set of multichannel ins or 2 sets (like the 2/4ES). I'm guessing there is only one.

Daniel I

Stunt Coordinator
Guy!

I am drooling right now. Thanks for the PICS!!!!

BTW can I have your 1000ES? Just though I would see if you would stick to your word! :wink:

Honestly, I cannot wait!

- Daniel

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
a black version is supposedly available
Really? Where did you hear this? It's not that I don't believe you, but I'm interested in getting Sony's new 400-disc DVD/SACD changer but I thought it was only going to be available in silver which is baaaaaad. I'd like to be able to confirm the availability of black models if possible. If there's hope that I can find it in black I'd be thrilled...otherwise I might just get an old DVP-NS999ES to replace my DVP-S9000ES.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Craig-
Yup definitely no pre-outs. Probably to encourage you to buy one of the more-expensive models. I'm fine without them though.

Angelo-

There's only one set of 5.1 inputs.

Greg-

I honestly can't remember, but I could have sworn that the order system on Sony's intranet listed a black version.

Daniel-
Ask and ye shall receive... most things, but not that :)
- Guy

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yup definitely no pre-outs. Probably to encourage you to buy one of the more-expensive models. I'm fine without them though.
IIRC the new ES line has digital amps in them and they don't have a preout section available. Atleast this was the case last I read.

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
Not to sound rude, but this unit has been recalled due to not meeting ucl or url? ratings. It has been none to start on fire. No joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks