What's new

Musicals on Blu-Ray, why so few after all this time? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Better late than never!

I get 2 PBS channels (I think there might be a third as well), but only one in HD, and that one didn't show it. So I'm still awaiting an HD viewing. . .

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I gotta figure they will, Aaron. At least I'm certainly hoping they will. I missed the broadcast (Aaaaaaaargh!) and was vigilant for a repeat but never saw one scheduled on my local PBS affiliate (Aaaaaaaaaaargh!).

I've got the Blu of the film and I've got the Carnegie Hall "concert" staging (Reba McEntire, Baldwin & Stokes-Mitchell). I really want to see that broadcast. I heard it was excellent.
For a couple of reasons none of the Lincoln Center Musicals shown on PBS have made it to DVD. When they ran Light A the Piazza in 2006 on PBS I missed the broadcast and thought that I would see it on DVD. That was not to happen. I was told that due to contracts and rights that the PBS show was all that would be and there would be no home version release. I made sure that I had my DVD recorder on for the South Pacific broadcast. I would gladly throw my DVD-r away for a Blu-ray release of the production but I am not holding my breath.

On another note, I see that The Sound Of Music is set for release on November 2. Hummmm, the same day as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and White Christmas along with the Rita Hayworth Collection on SDVD and of course the non-musical The Bridge On The River Kwai. That is going to be one huge release day so I see the family is going to get a little less this Christmas.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the perspective Allen (and Matt).

I guess I'll just put it out of my mind and hope for a repeat down the road. Maybe the next "pledge week."

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I know there is another thread for this, but wish someone would do a decent release of CABARET... a blu ray release certainly would require some major restoration. The current dvd is awful in every possible way. Sad that such a key film musical is so poorly presented. Has anyone heard anything about CABARET getting a restoration?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You are so right. I can't think of an Academy Award-winning musical that has received shabbier treatment than Cabaret. I would earnestly hope Warners is working on it for an eventual Blu-ray release.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Put me down for a Cabaret BD. I can't believe that of all the musicals Warner treated with love on DVD, this one, which may have even won Best Picture had it not been up against The Godfather, got treated so badly. There were rumors of a UK Blu-Ray but, unfortunately, they never came true.

I would imagine it needs to be restored.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by MatthewA

You took the words out of my mouth. I would love to see Kiss Me Kate in 3D on Blu-Ray.

From your mouth to God's ears. Best '50's 3-D movie, ever! Bob Fosse in 3-D is a religious experience!

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
I want the Marilyn Monroe musicals, including Ladies of the Chorus.

Singing in the Rain.

Earth Girls are Easy (just for the Blonde number)

I'd also like Xanadu. I heard the LD had deleted footage that hasn't been shown on any of the DVD releases, but I never had LD.

Olivia Newton John never looked better, and Gene Kelly's last musical.

Peter

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Originally Posted by MatthewA

Put me down for a Cabaret BD. I can't believe that of all the musicals Warner treated with love on DVD, this one, which may have even won Best Picture had it not been up against The Godfather, got treated so badly. There were rumors of a UK Blu-Ray but, unfortunately, they never came true.

This may have to do with the source material. Cabaret was not Warner Brothers but I think originally Allied Artists or some smaller company. Maybe the original negative is gone or other source materials.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by RobertSiegel

This may have to do with the source material. Cabaret was not Warner Brothers but I think originally Allied Artists or some smaller company. Maybe the original negative is gone or other source materials.

[/QUOTE]

Considering the film, from whatever element, was last transferred to video around 1998, I don't know. However, I do know that two other Allied Artists films, Papillon and The Man Who Would Be King, have gotten crappy DVDs though spectacular HD masters have since been made and were sent to HDNet Movies. There was also supposed to be a UK BD of this one that was pushed back many times and was probably cancelled.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Frezon There's been a lot of movement on this front in the last two months, Greg.

You should update your list.

List has been updated 11/20/2010 - Thanks Mike

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Considering that The Sound of Music hit the number 2 spot on the home video sales charts on it's first week (It might have been #1 had it not been for Toy Story 3, released the same day) and even in the second week only dropped to number 5 and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was in the top 13 (not to mention Bridge on the River Kwai hitting the charts), I think the studios are re-thinking their strategy as far as classics go, including classic musicals.

This is quite exciting. I think we have finally hit the time when studios are confident of sales of pre-1970 classics. Bill Hunt had an excellent conference with some of the studios (which is available to watch on this site and his) on classic releases and the panel were very optomistic now about classics. This was quite the opposite last year at this time. Plus, many players will be sold this holiday as I am seeing them start at $59.00 on different sales. The demographics are wider now. I think we all have great things ahead and I for one am totally psyched up for it. One thing that struck me as promising is that all members of the panel thought that Blu-ray burn-on-demand would be a "dream come true" for them. It would certainly mean more classics could be released that otherwise are not considered for a major pressing. But I think that is still a year or two off as the price of blank media is still too high.

I expect that many resources at Fox were being taken up by the Alien and Sound of Music sets. I think that may be a reason why Fox missed the 55th anniversary of Oklahoma (which would have been this year 2010). I have been told there will be more Rodgers and Hammerstein in 2011. I also am sorry that Fox missed the 40th anniversary of Hello Dolly in 2009, I hope that we don't have to wait for the 45th.

I would love to see The Unsinkable Molly Brown on Blu-ray. The film had a great DVD transfer and has been shown on HDnet Movies once in a while in HD and it looks beautiful. Of course this was probably a 1080i transfer, as it was shown as far back as 6 years ago. I love this musical, and think it would make a grand Blu-ray (plus, the soundtrack of this film is quite well recorded). I just hope this time they try to do a few extras on this title.

For those of you hoping for the classic musicals to come out, if you use Facebook go to Warner's page and go under "discussions" and I had started a discussion on which movies people want to see come out on Blu-ray. Also, same with the other studios. I seem to be one out of only 2 that has posted the musical titles, so getting your input over there would help.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Originally Posted by Peter Rohlfs

I'd also like Xanadu. I heard the LD had deleted footage that hasn't been shown on any of the DVD releases, but I never had LD.

Peter

I second your suggestion, Peter. I would love to have a blu-ray edition for XANADU. Although I have the LD in my collection, I don't know any deleted footage about that movie. Could there be more that one edition?

While I'm talking about musicals, I can't think of better performing actress than Julie Andrews. So for me, as George mentioned in this forum, Mary Poppins has got to be in the most desirable musicals wishlist. Along with some other great movies like Victor/Victoria The Movie and Thoroughly Modern Millie.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Originally Posted by MBrousseau

Peter

I second your suggestion, Peter. I would love to have a blu-ray edition for XANADU. Although I have the LD in my collection, I don't know any deleted footage about that movie. Could there be more that one edition?

While I'm talking about musicals, I can't think of better performing actress than Julie Andrews. So for me, as George mentioned in this forum, Mary Poppins has got to be in the most desirable musicals wishlist. Along with some other great movies like Victor/Victoria The Movie and Thoroughly Modern Millie.

[/QUOTE]

Boy, I couldn't agree more, all of Julie Andrews movies, especially those you mention, would be fantastic. I really think Thoroughly Modern Millie is one of the most "fun" movies I have ever seen, and Julie's energy in that movie is unsurpassed. Perfect role for her.

And, I also would LOVE to have Xanadu! Does anyone else feel this might have been a better movie with someone other than Michael Beck in the male lead? In Olivia's biography, she says she offered it to John Travolta initally and he turned it down because he didn't want a 3rd music themed movie after Fever and Grease. Too bad he would have been great!

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
There was indeed a chemistry between Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta. If there have been teamed to star in "Xanadu", I'm sure the movie would had gained more success. (excuse my English if I made mistakes with grammatical tenses)

But, curiously, although they were together in "Two of a Kind", it didn't achieve a good result.

And yes, Robert! Thoroughly Modern Millie is also my all time favorite Julie Andrews movie. I own it on DVD but this time, it would be lovely to get a 5.1 DTS sound, instead of the stereo Dolby Surround, and a cleaned up picture.

GJN

Grip
Real Name
George
Id love to see some of the classic MGM musicals on Blu-ray. Any chance for In the Good Old Summertime, Take Me to St. Louis, and the Harvey Girls?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by MBrousseau
. . . . the most desirable musicals wishlist. Along with some other great movies like Victor/Victoria . . .

I would love to have Victor/Victoria on Blu-ray. In particular I would enjoy in high def sound the Le Jazz Hot number, a truly great "show-stopping" type song.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I haven't read the whole thread so if I repeat a question, sorry. What I'd really like to see are some blu-rays of the stage productions of current or recent Broadway musicals. You would think there's be a good market for something like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks