1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Musicals on Blu-Ray, why so few after all this time?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by GMpasqua, May 5, 2010.

1. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Well-Known Member

Greg
    Almost none of the big budget widescreen musicals of the 60's - 80's are out on Blu-ray In fact there are only 8 from 1960 through 2000.

Updates: 2010 has brought a few more (8) (and some execellant Looking blu-rays) 1950s

An American in Paris

White Christmas (2010)

A Star is Born (2010

Gigi (2010)

South Pacific) 70MM

1960-2000

The Music Man (2010) The Sound of Music (2010) 70MM

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - From 70MM (Best looking catalog Blu-ray Ever!) (2010)

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Tommy (2010)

The Rocky Horror PIcture Show (2010)

Grease

The Wiz (2010)

Moulin Rouge - (2001) (2010)
    Rumored for 2011 West Side Story from 70MM

Oliver!

Where are: My Fair Lady 70MM (Come on WB or Paramount - you know if Sound of Music sold well this one will also) Hello Dolly 70MM

Doctor Dolittle 70MM Star! 70MM

Can-Can - 70MM

Fiddler on the Roof

Gypsy

1776 Thoroughly Modern Millie Oklahoma!

The King and I

2. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Not to mention all the Rodgers and Hammerstein classics; Oklahoma, Carousel, King and I, etc. etc. etc.

I am Glee-fully optimistic that some interest in the musical had been revived and we will be seeing many of these titles.

And don't forget the That's Entertainment trilogy of films is already on BD.

3. benbess

benbess Well-Known Member

Ben Hufbauer
    According to a fan of musicals at blu-ray.com Oklahoma is due out later this year or early next year....

These films can still entertain some younger audiences today. Our 8 year old daughter just loves American in Paris, and she really likes The Music Man. She remembers the lyrics to trouble in River City and sang them for us weeks after we saw the film on blu....

Hope more come out.

4. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    So far, I have An American in Paris, The Wizard of Oz and Chicago. looking for many more.

5. benbess

benbess Well-Known Member

Ben Hufbauer
    from mntwister at blu-ray.com:

"...Oklahoma was shown on Turner Classic Movies (HD) in the last day and it is high def and a beautiful new transfer, all I can say is wow, this is going to be a great Blu-ray. The sound was obviously redone, it is so much better than the DVD. Colors are crisp and clear, in fact, it is the quality of South Pacific, which I consider a 10 out of 10 for quality!"

South Pacific is another movie from this era with amazing, jaw-dropping pq. It was filmed in Todd AO, I believe, and I think they had the color seps on it. Anyway, not only a demonstration disc for blu ray, but quite a good musical. It's a war film too, so something for varied tastes...

If you like musicals, I recommend you rent or buy South Pacific.

6. Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr Well-Known Member

I want 'Evita' from Disney on BD in DTS-HD MA.

7. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Well-Known Member

I guess nobody here is counting "Viva Las Vegas" as a musical??

That "Music Man" Blu-ray is *fantastic* and I can't wait for "The Sound of Music"!!

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Well-Known Member

Aaron Silverman
    I like South Pacific, but I keep hearing that the movie doesn't hold a candle to the original Broadway production (which won the Pulitzer for Drama). I've always wondered about the stage version, which distracts me from enjoying the movie.

I've seen video clips of the original Broadway show, but have no idea whether a complete film or video recording exists.

9. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen

A compete version does not exist. The clips that you see are from a TV special honoring Rogers & Hammerstein and some numbers that were shown on Ed Sullivan Show. Nothing can beat the experience of a live show for it is there for that moment and that moment only. However, I think the movie version of the South Pacific is true to Rogers, Hammerstein, and Logan's view of it and filming on location opened it up so much. It is one of my favorite movies.

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Well-Known Member

Aaron Silverman
    Thanks, Allen. Good to know.

11. moovtune

moovtune Well-Known Member

James
    Many of those on the list are Fox titles and no doubt will need some restoration to be up to snuff for Blu-Ray and many of the others are originally M-G-M and it'll be up to present owner Warner's to bring them up to Blu-Ray quality, as they have been doing ... with Wizard of Oz and American in Paris ... and no one has mentioned the beautiful restore of Gigi that's available.

12. moovtune

moovtune Well-Known Member

James
    Many of those on the list are Fox titles and no doubt will need some restoration to be up to snuff for Blu-Ray and many of the others are originally M-G-M and it'll be up to present owner Warner's to bring them up to Blu-Ray quality, as they have been doing ... with Wizard of Oz and American in Paris ... and no one has mentioned the beautiful restore of Gigi that's available.

13. john a hunter

john a hunter Well-Known Member

I trust it was the 70mm version not the 35mm Scope version that was shot simultaneously. It is good to hear this if it was the 70mm version as the dvd transfer of this was dreadful(apart from the sound which knocked the 35mm version for six).
    "South Pacific" is magnificent and highly recommended.

14. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Well-Known Member

I don't expect Oklahoma! to make it out this year. If it makes it out next year, which I think is an anniversary year, I would be over the moon. Getting Fox to pony up one R&H musical a year on Blu is a challenge enough.I would never be so greedy as to expect two in the same quarter.

15. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    God, I'd settle for just an SD of "Lili," which MGM (or Fox or whoever) has consistently neglected to offer on DVD. Why? Fine musical.

16. trajan

trajan Well-Known Member

Star in Todd-AO and one of my favorites-Hair.

17. DeeF

DeeF Well-Known Member

A 16mm film of the original production of South Pacific was made in 1952, of the London cast, which includes Mary Martin and Muriel Smith. The film was made for archival purposes only, but it exists... and I've seen it.

18. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    It would be Warners. They own it now.

19. Twist

Twist Active Member

There are very few classic Columbia/Sony's Blu Ray. It is absurd that are not yet available big hits like "Oliver!"

Nor is understood that Warner will not edit "Cabaret" (the dvd is not anamorphic!), or "My Fair Lady" in Blu Ray.

20. felipenor

felipenor Well-Known Member

My fair lady now belongs to Paramount. But it still puzzles me why Warner won't release Cabaret in blu-ray. Not even a special edition on sd.