What's new

Musicals on Blu-Ray, why so few after all this time? (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Almost none of the big budget widescreen musicals of the 60's - 80's are out on Blu-ray In fact there are only 8 from 1960 through 2000.

Updates: 2010 has brought a few more (8) (and some execellant Looking blu-rays) [COLOR= #0000ff]1950s[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]An American in Paris[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]White Christmas (2010)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]A Star is Born (2010[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Gigi (2010)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]South Pacific) 70MM[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]1960-2000[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]The Music Man (2010)[/COLOR] [COLOR= #0000ff]The Sound of Music (2010) [/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000]70MM[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - From [/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000]70MM [/COLOR][COLOR= #0000ff](Best looking catalog Blu-ray Ever!) (2010)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Tommy (2010)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]The Rocky Horror PIcture Show (2010)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Grease[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]The Wiz (2010)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Moulin Rouge - (2001) (2010)[/COLOR]
Rumored for 2011 West Side Story [COLOR= #ff0000]from 70MM[/COLOR]

Oliver!

Where are: My Fair Lady [COLOR= #ff0000]70MM[/COLOR] (Come on WB or Paramount - you know if Sound of Music sold well this one will also) Hello Dolly [COLOR= #ff0000]70MM[/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000] [/COLOR]

Doctor Dolittle [COLOR= #ff0000]70MM[/COLOR] Star! [COLOR= #ff0000]70MM[/COLOR]

Can-Can - [COLOR= #ff0000]70MM[/COLOR]

Fiddler on the Roof

Gypsy

1776 Thoroughly Modern Millie Oklahoma!

The King and I

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not to mention all the Rodgers and Hammerstein classics; Oklahoma, Carousel, King and I, etc. etc. etc.

I am Glee-fully optimistic that some interest in the musical had been revived and we will be seeing many of these titles.

And don't forget the That's Entertainment trilogy of films is already on BD.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
According to a fan of musicals at blu-ray.com Oklahoma is due out later this year or early next year....

These films can still entertain some younger audiences today. Our 8 year old daughter just loves American in Paris, and she really likes The Music Man. She remembers the lyrics to trouble in River City and sang them for us weeks after we saw the film on blu....

Hope more come out.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
from mntwister at blu-ray.com:

"...Oklahoma was shown on Turner Classic Movies (HD) in the last day and it is high def and a beautiful new transfer, all I can say is wow, this is going to be a great Blu-ray. The sound was obviously redone, it is so much better than the DVD. Colors are crisp and clear, in fact, it is the quality of South Pacific, which I consider a 10 out of 10 for quality!"

South Pacific is another movie from this era with amazing, jaw-dropping pq. It was filmed in Todd AO, I believe, and I think they had the color seps on it. Anyway, not only a demonstration disc for blu ray, but quite a good musical. It's a war film too, so something for varied tastes...

If you like musicals, I recommend you rent or buy South Pacific.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I guess nobody here is counting "Viva Las Vegas" as a musical??

That "Music Man" Blu-ray is *fantastic* and I can't wait for "The Sound of Music"!!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I like South Pacific, but I keep hearing that the movie doesn't hold a candle to the original Broadway production (which won the Pulitzer for Drama). I've always wondered about the stage version, which distracts me from enjoying the movie.

I've seen video clips of the original Broadway show, but have no idea whether a complete film or video recording exists.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

I've seen video clips of the original Broadway show, but have no idea whether a complete film or video recording exists.

A compete version does not exist. The clips that you see are from a TV special honoring Rogers & Hammerstein and some numbers that were shown on Ed Sullivan Show. Nothing can beat the experience of a live show for it is there for that moment and that moment only. However, I think the movie version of the South Pacific is true to Rogers, Hammerstein, and Logan's view of it and filming on location opened it up so much. It is one of my favorite movies.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Many of those on the list are Fox titles and no doubt will need some restoration to be up to snuff for Blu-Ray and many of the others are originally M-G-M and it'll be up to present owner Warner's to bring them up to Blu-Ray quality, as they have been doing ... with Wizard of Oz and American in Paris ... and no one has mentioned the beautiful restore of Gigi that's available.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Many of those on the list are Fox titles and no doubt will need some restoration to be up to snuff for Blu-Ray and many of the others are originally M-G-M and it'll be up to present owner Warner's to bring them up to Blu-Ray quality, as they have been doing ... with Wizard of Oz and American in Paris ... and no one has mentioned the beautiful restore of Gigi that's available.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by benbess

"...Oklahoma was shown on Turner Classic Movies (HD) in the last day and it is high def and a beautiful new transfer, all I can say is wow, this is going to be a great Blu-ray. The sound was obviously redone, it is so much better than the DVD. Colors are crisp and clear, in fact, it is the quality of South Pacific, which I consider a 10 out of 10 for quality!"

I trust it was the 70mm version not the 35mm Scope version that was shot simultaneously. It is good to hear this if it was the 70mm version as the dvd transfer of this was dreadful(apart from the sound which knocked the 35mm version for six).
"South Pacific" is magnificent and highly recommended.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I don't expect Oklahoma! to make it out this year. If it makes it out next year, which I think is an anniversary year, I would be over the moon. Getting Fox to pony up one R&H musical a year on Blu is a challenge enough.I would never be so greedy as to expect two in the same quarter.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
God, I'd settle for just an SD of "Lili," which MGM (or Fox or whoever) has consistently neglected to offer on DVD. Why? Fine musical.

DeeF

Screenwriter
A 16mm film of the original production of South Pacific was made in 1952, of the London cast, which includes Mary Martin and Muriel Smith. The film was made for archival purposes only, but it exists... and I've seen it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Dick

God, I'd settle for just an SD of "Lili," which MGM (or Fox or whoever) has consistently neglected to offer on DVD. Why? Fine musical.
It would be Warners. They own it now.

Twist

Agent
Real Name
Francisco
There are very few classic Columbia/Sony's Blu Ray. It is absurd that are not yet available big hits like "Oliver!"

Nor is understood that Warner will not edit "Cabaret" (the dvd is not anamorphic!), or "My Fair Lady" in Blu Ray.

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator
My fair lady now belongs to Paramount. But it still puzzles me why Warner won't release Cabaret in blu-ray. Not even a special edition on sd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks