What's new

Musicals: From Stage & Film to Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I agree with Siep. The voice isn't what it used to be and before it is gone it would be great to see her in one more musical. It has been a long time. We can live in hope!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Angela Lansbury brought Gypsy to England in 1973 (Ethel Merman wasn't interested in doing it again) to unqualified raves, a fifteen-minute standing ovation on opening night, and, for the first time ever for a performer in a musical, winning the London Drama Critics' Best Actress of the Year award. This was the production she then brought to America the following year for a limited four month run and another Tony Award win for her.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I think why people consider it such a strong show is the fact that the story would hold up, even without the songs. The songs are just icing on an already rich cake. And unlike many musicals that have strong first acts and kind of peter out, this show gets a whole new burst of energy in the second act once Gypsy becomes a stripper. The scene between mother and daughter in the dressing room, followed by the Rose's Turn, is excellent in both the Rosalind Russell version and the Better Midler version. I'd like to see Babs chew into that.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
frik said:
I guess I don't really know all that much about Gypsy. Over here, in Europe, it doesn't have much of a reputation. I asked number of people and no one had even heard of it. It's more of an American show, I think.
The first time I actually heard some of the score was during Barbra's Back to Brooklyn concerts. I must say - those couple of lines, Barbra's delivery, absolutely stunning. Do I want more!
Barbra too old? Apparently, but I doubt anyone really cares (except for the purists) - and from what I've heard, the script has handled this problem.

Re Sunset Boulevard, I saw the London production in 1993, with Patti LuPone. It's not one of my favorite Webber musicals, but Barbra-as-Norma, fine with me.

I just want another Streisand musical!

sk
I agree about Sunset Boulevard. It almost happened with Barbra and a certain incredible director (who shall be nameless but is one of my clients) but the funding fell through. While I'm not crazy about the show, that potential film version is really a missed cinematic opportunity! :(

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I love Streisand, but I have to be realistic about her age. Her Mamma Rose would be, by this time, Great Grandma Rose. And Gloria Swanson was a ripe 50 year old woman (would you believe that?) when she filmed Sunset Boulevard. Streisand is almost 25 years older that that. It'd be as grotesque as watching Mae West in her final film.
Let's allow Streisand to leave the stage graciously in a show more appropriate to her age and current vocal resources. No one is getting any younger. And she was glorious in her prime!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
frik said:
I guess I don't really know all that much about Gypsy. Over here, in Europe, it doesn't have much of a reputation. I asked number of people and no one had even heard of it. It's more of an American show, I think.
Burlesque doesn't really seem like it'd culturally translate past its iconic NY time and place--England had the Music Halls, but that's totally different from the world of pushy itinerant stage moms, or strippers searching for "gimmicks".
JohnMor said:
I agree about Sunset Boulevard. It almost happened with Barbra and a certain incredible director (who shall be nameless but is one of my clients) but the funding fell through. While I'm not crazy about the show, that potential film version is really a missed cinematic opportunity! :(
Saw the touring version with Petula Clark, which, although she was good, was a bit of a shock to my 70's childhood, as she now fit the role. Still seems like the last Andrew Lloyd Webber we really "cared about", though.

And Babs is still way too "pushy" to play Norma. Mama Rose, you better darn well believe it, but not Glenn Close's moment of sentimental disorientation when Norma returns to the studio for the show's big Webber-song number.
Streisand would turn the song into a big Yentl-like solo, which it....isn't.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
My preference would be for an original, not a project someone else did or made famous anyway. Or at least one that is not so identified with a particular performer or two like Gypsy or Sunset Boulevard. But I do want to see her do another musical before it's absolutely too late. She might still be able to pull off Gypsy, but she'd have to hurry and she is not someone who moves fast on projects. My bet is, it probably won't happen. She seems to love planning projects more than actually doing them, or at least finishing them.

Pretty soon she'll be relegated to Mme. Armfeldt in A Little Night Music. Although, frankly, I would LOVE to hear her do "Liaisons." Actually, as good as she looked in The Guilt Trip, she could possibly still pull off Desirée. But I don't think we'll ever see a new film version of ALNM, much as I'd love one.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Desirée is about half Streisand's age. She's just about right to play Mme. Armfeldt. Let's be realistic. No amount of filters, lighting, makeup, etc., can disguise time's passing.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I honestly don't think "Gypsy" will ever happen for Barbra now. Firstly, I believe she no longer has the vibrancy left in her voice (that belty zest which she replaced with a clean, calculated and almost glacial quality which I don't find nearly half as exciting).

The part calls for a younger actress naturally - I think she could pull off that aspect, but the vocals are a different story.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Honestly, I am not weeping bitter tears over Gypsy going into turnaround. I can think of lots of musicals I'd rather see on the big screen like Follies (plus some like Guys and Dolls and Mame that would benefit from a remake more than Gypsy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks