1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Musicals: From Stage & Film to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ethan Riley, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

If you mean the '03 Peter Pan, no, it wasn't Cat in the Hat bad, more like Tim Burton's Alice or Narnia-sequel bad--Where they take a seemingly screenwriter-proof classic, get full of their own big budget, decide to "cure" the classic for a popcorn audience with the usual screenwriter embellishments of big action scenes and easy laffs, and start embarrassingly futzing with the original to points where the author would turn over in his grave.

(Wendy did NOT have an "Aunt Millicent" to say un-PC Victorian things and make her feel burgeoning feminism...Peter did NOT have a "romantic subplot" with Wendy, quite the reverse in fact...Saying the "I don't believe" words does NOT kill specific fairies on contact like Raid...Yes, Nana was a St. Bernard, but NOT Beethoven out of the John Hughes movies...And call it a minor nitpick, but in the final battle, Hook did NOT freakin' fly. And I know I'm forgetting at least half a dozen other cringe-worthy heresies, but I don't want to go back and look at it again just to make a list.)

2. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

3. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
  4. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Well-Known Member

Byron
    Actual teenagers (or teenage-looking) performing in "Grease"? I don't believe I've ever seen that. ;)

5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
  6. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Probably won't be cast with the folks from Glee, but they could do worse than Darren Criss as Danny and Chris Colfer as Doody.

I'll still be interested to see how they handle the language.

7. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

Is the cast of Glee under-talented? Or just over-exposed.

8. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    Didn't they already do a Grease-themed Glee episode that utterly ruined "Greased Lightnin'" with its FCC-imposed fake rhyme (crap/that instead of shit/tit), or was it my imagination? Just like they did to Rocky Horror, and as a former Transylvanian, I am utterly, utterly offended that they removed the word "transsexual" from "Sweet Transvestite" and replaced it with "sensational," thereby ruining Richard O'Brien's alliteration. The only thing I liked about Bobcat Goldthwait's God Bless America was the slam at that show that mentioned what they did to RHPS.

Seth MacFarlane, a talented singer whose animated shows regularly have musical numbers that trounce Glee's in quality and have never needed autotune, was right about the FCC. Personally, I think it should be disbanded and this new production of Grease should be on cable.
    Jane Lynch is usually pretty good in anything that isn't Glee. I heard good things about her Miss Hannigan as well (it better have been good, considering who played her mother).

9. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Well-Known Member

Count me among those who want nothing to do with Grease. I'm also one who is very surprised that schools do it because it has an absolutely awful message for girls: If you want to be popular, be a slut. If you think you're pregnant, be v-e-r-y worried -- but when it turns out you're not, go back to sleeping around.

with that kind of a message for girls, you'd think a world that has to turn Cinderella inside-out to make it politically correct would banish Grease to the nether regions. Must be the imitation rock music that makes it all right.

10. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    My sisters obviously didn't get that message because they watched the movie all the time (albeit on VHS in a Pan-and-Scan transfer that at least had the correct sound mix) and have never acted that way. Even so, what is it about Sandy's transformation that makes her a "slut"? Her clothes? Her hair? The lyrics of "You're the One that I Want" do not give any indication that either her heart or her body belong to anyone other than Danny. In fact, they're quite the opposite: it reaffirms their relationship. The lyrics "you better shape up, 'cause I need a man and my heart is set on you" don't exactly evoke a desire for multiple partners.

And I don't get the feeling that any of the people critical of any version of Cinderella (surprise, surprise, it's usually Disney's that gets attacked) are any fonder of Grease.

EDIT: Any opinions whatsoever on Two of a Kind?

11. John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910 Well-Known Member

John Maher
    I find it hard to believe that anyone could take serious offense at anything anyone would do to such mediocrity as ROCKY HORROR SHOW and GREASE.

12. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    I say over-exposed, most of them have talent especially Lea Michele and Darren Criss. But could not see a Grease live with any of the Glee cast without thinking of it as an extended episode.

13. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Well-Known Member

Byron
    I agree. The message of the play also says "change everything about yourself to land a boyfriend". I'm sorry but that 'relationship' probably would have lasted a month tops - just had to wait until that perm grew out and the black spandex pants expired.

John Maher_289910 likes this.
  14. frik

frik Well-Known Member

Siep
    JohnMor likes this.
  15. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Well-Known Member

Aaron Silverman
    Very interesting!

16. JoelA

JoelA Well-Known Member

Joel Arndt
    Ethan Riley likes this.
  17. frik

frik Well-Known Member

Siep
    The moderator from the Barbra Streisand Forum has left the Gypsy thread open for literally years.
    This is one of his latest comment, dated Jun 1, 2014:

But, the truth is, the project is still on. Let's see what Barbra talks about during duets promotion

He's also running Barbra's own website, and knows what he's talking about.

Fingers crossed!

sk

18. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
  19. JoelA

JoelA Well-Known Member

Joel Arndt
    I find the idea of an original film musical by Sondheim for Streisand much more intriguing than a remake of an existing property, but I'll take what I can get and Gypsy's one helluva great show. Hope something pans out.

20. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I'm a huge Streisand fan, but I must admit to a lack of enthusiasm for this project. We already have two smashing versions of Gypsy and at her age now (despite how good she can look), I think the time has passed for Barbra to be the best Mama Rose she might have been twenty years ago. I'd rather see Barbra play Domina in a Forum remake (with the entire score) or something totally original.

Charles Smith likes this.