What's new

Musicals: From Stage & Film to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ahollis said:
Yeah your right, but if ends up with the cast of Glee doing this for Fox, it would be an unmitigated disaster.
Probably won't be cast with the folks from Glee, but they could do worse than Darren Criss as Danny and Chris Colfer as Doody.

I'll still be interested to see how they handle the language.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Didn't they already do a Grease-themed Glee episode that utterly ruined "Greased Lightnin'" with its FCC-imposed fake rhyme (crap/that instead of shit/tit), or was it my imagination? Just like they did to Rocky Horror, and as a former Transylvanian, I am utterly, utterly offended that they removed the word "transsexual" from "Sweet Transvestite" and replaced it with "sensational," thereby ruining Richard O'Brien's alliteration. The only thing I liked about Bobcat Goldthwait's God Bless America was the slam at that show that mentioned what they did to RHPS.

Seth MacFarlane, a talented singer whose animated shows regularly have musical numbers that trounce Glee's in quality and have never needed autotune, was right about the FCC. Personally, I think it should be disbanded and this new production of Grease should be on cable.
Ethan Riley said:
Is the cast of Glee under-talented? Or just over-exposed.
Jane Lynch is usually pretty good in anything that isn't Glee. I heard good things about her Miss Hannigan as well (it better have been good, considering who played her mother).

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Count me among those who want nothing to do with Grease. I'm also one who is very surprised that schools do it because it has an absolutely awful message for girls: If you want to be popular, be a slut. If you think you're pregnant, be v-e-r-y worried -- but when it turns out you're not, go back to sleeping around.

with that kind of a message for girls, you'd think a world that has to turn Cinderella inside-out to make it politically correct would banish Grease to the nether regions. Must be the imitation rock music that makes it all right.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Rick Thompson said:
Count me among those who want nothing to do with Grease. I'm also one who is very surprised that schools do it because it has an absolutely awful message for girls: If you want to be popular, be a slut. If you think you're pregnant, be v-e-r-y worried -- but when it turns out you're not, go back to sleeping around.
My sisters obviously didn't get that message because they watched the movie all the time (albeit on VHS in a Pan-and-Scan transfer that at least had the correct sound mix) and have never acted that way. Even so, what is it about Sandy's transformation that makes her a "slut"? Her clothes? Her hair? The lyrics of "You're the One that I Want" do not give any indication that either her heart or her body belong to anyone other than Danny. In fact, they're quite the opposite: it reaffirms their relationship. The lyrics "you better shape up, 'cause I need a man and my heart is set on you" don't exactly evoke a desire for multiple partners.

And I don't get the feeling that any of the people critical of any version of Cinderella (surprise, surprise, it's usually Disney's that gets attacked) are any fonder of Grease.

EDIT: Any opinions whatsoever on Two of a Kind?

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I find it hard to believe that anyone could take serious offense at anything anyone would do to such mediocrity as ROCKY HORROR SHOW and GREASE.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ethan Riley said:
Is the cast of Glee under-talented? Or just over-exposed.
I say over-exposed, most of them have talent especially Lea Michele and Darren Criss. But could not see a Grease live with any of the Glee cast without thinking of it as an extended episode.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Rick Thompson said:

with that kind of a message for girls, you'd think a world that has to turn Cinderella inside-out to make it politically correct would banish Grease to the nether regions. Must be the imitation rock music that makes it all right.
I agree. The message of the play also says "change everything about yourself to land a boyfriend". I'm sorry but that 'relationship' probably would have lasted a month tops - just had to wait until that perm grew out and the black spandex pants expired.

frik

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Siep

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt

frik

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Siep
The moderator from the Barbra Streisand Forum has left the Gypsy thread open for literally years.
This is one of his latest comment, dated Jun 1, 2014:

But, the truth is, the project is still on. Let's see what Barbra talks about during duets promotion

He's also running Barbra's own website, and knows what he's talking about.

Fingers crossed!

sk

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
JohnMor said:
Thanks for the link. Fingers crossed.

But, no, I was referring to the long-ago, briefly discussed idea of a collaboration on an original film musical. Definitely a missed opportunity.
I find the idea of an original film musical by Sondheim for Streisand much more intriguing than a remake of an existing property, but I'll take what I can get and Gypsy's one helluva great show. Hope something pans out.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm a huge Streisand fan, but I must admit to a lack of enthusiasm for this project. We already have two smashing versions of Gypsy and at her age now (despite how good she can look), I think the time has passed for Barbra to be the best Mama Rose she might have been twenty years ago. I'd rather see Barbra play Domina in a Forum remake (with the entire score) or something totally original.

frik

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Siep
I guess I don't really know all that much about Gypsy. Over here, in Europe, it doesn't have much of a reputation. I asked number of people and no one had even heard of it. It's more of an American show, I think.
The first time I actually heard some of the score was during Barbra's Back to Brooklyn concerts. I must say - those couple of lines, Barbra's delivery, absolutely stunning. Do I want more!
Barbra too old? Apparently, but I doubt anyone really cares (except for the purists) - and from what I've heard, the script has handled this problem.

Re Sunset Boulevard, I saw the London production in 1993, with Patti LuPone. It's not one of my favorite Webber musicals, but Barbra-as-Norma, fine with me.

I just want another Streisand musical!

sk

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks