What's new

Musicals: From Stage & Film to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
It certainly should be in this list. And would that Neal Patrick Harris version of Company that was broadcast in theaters apply? Maybe not.
Another oddball relative to the list would be Rogers & Hammerstein's Cinderella. Currently on Broadway with no less than three TV versions (Julie Andrews '57, Leslie Ann Warren '65, and Brandy '97) all released on DVD.

And that also puts me to mind of the DVD of Disney's televised version of Annie with no less than Victor Garber, Kathy Bates, Audra McDonald, Alan Cummings and Kristin Chenoweth (which some, including myself, find much better than the film version).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mike Frezon said:
And that also puts me to mind of the DVD of Disney's televised version of Annie with no less than Victor Garber, Kathy Bates, Audra McDonald, Alan Cummings and Kristin Chenoweth (which some, including myself, find much better than the film version).
Oh, boy, do I agree with you there. The TV Annie was so entertaining and much closer to the Broadway show than the film.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Funny Face on Blu was released last year in Australia. Anthony Newley's Stop the World was on Laserdisc but it never came my way.

I wrote some time ago to PBS re Crazy For You and they said they had no plans for DVD or Blu Ray but did not indicate they have no rights in that regard which may be the case.

I know the Dutch have a policy of recording for the archives stage shows for posterity but what do they do with them after that?

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear Moviepas,
I received a longer answer when I wrote PBS to ask pretty much the same question. I was hoping there might be DVD releases, not just of CRAZY FOR YOU, but for all the other musicals they've shown exactly once. In addition to CRAZY FOR YOU, there were other Papermill Playhouse productions, including a lovely SHOWBOAT (NOT the Hal Prince version) and A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. And from Broadway there was THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA and Lincoln Center's recent SOUTH PACIFIC. Their response, I'm sorry to report, was that they were allowed exactly ONE showing, and then the rights reverted to the original production company. Any attempts to issue these shows on DVD or Blu-Ray now would mean going back and negotiating new contracts with all the various Theater Unions ... Actors' Equity, the Musicians Union and IATSE. So hang onto those VHS tapes, if you have them. Some of mine are actually on Beta ... try finding someplace that can transfer THOSE to DvVD!! All the best ... Poder

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
ps: You CAN see pretty much every Broadway show produced over the last four decades or so at Lincoln Center. The shows are recorded from the back of the theater ... one camera, full stage ... for the very archival reasons you mention. But you have to watch your choices AT Lincoln Center ... no checking out.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
PODER said:
ps: You CAN see pretty much every Broadway show produced over the last four decades or so at Lincoln Center. The shows are recorded from the back of the theater ... one camera, full stage ... for the very archival reasons you mention. But you have to watch your choices AT Lincoln Center ... no checking out.
There are some individual restrictions on this. For example Lincoln Center has a tape of Zero Mostel in a revival of Fiddler On the Roof. However the creators so dislike his performance in this tape they will not allow it to be shown to just anybody. I don't know who they would allow to see it but I know it is restricted.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I didn't list any TV productions. Sondheim shows are on DVD...and Cats and others. Does anyone know if Fox is putting Carmen Jones on blu? I recall it scored highly in the contest, but I can't find the thread.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Ethan Riley said:
I didn't list any TV productions. Sondheim shows are on DVD...and Cats and others. Does anyone know if Fox is putting Carmen Jones on blu? I recall it scored highly in the contest, but I can't find the thread.
I think Carmen Jones won and Desk Set came in second.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Added a few things; I had to repaste the list here because it wouldn't let me edit the other one...
1950: Annie Get Your Gun
1951: Show Boat
1952: Singin' in the Rain
1953: The Band Wagon
1953: Calamity Jane
1953: Call Me Madam
1953: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
1953: Kiss Me Kate
1954: Brigadoon
1954: Carmen Jones
1954: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
1954: The Student Prince
1954: White Christmas
1955: Guys and Dolls
1955: Hit the Deck
1955: Kismet
1955: Oklahoma!
1956: Anything Goes
1956: Carousel
1956: The King and I
1957: Funny Face
1957: The Pajama Game
1957: Pal Joey
1957: Silk Stockings
1958: Damn Yankees
1958: Gigi
1958: South Pacific
1959: Lil' Abner
1959: Porgy and Bess
1960: Bells Are Ringing
1961: Babes in Toyland
1961: Flower Drum Song
1961: West Side Story
1962: Jumbo
1962: Gypsy
1962: The Music Man
1962: State Fair
1963: Bye Bye Birdie
1964: Mary Poppins
1964: My Fair Lady
1964: The Unsinkable Molly Brown
1965: The Sound of Music
1966: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
1967: Camelot
1967: Dr. Dolittle
1967: Half A Sixpence
1967: How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
1967: Thoroughly Modern Millie
1968: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
1968: Finian's Rainbow
1968: Funny Girl
1968: Oliver! (coming later this year)
1969: Hello, Dolly!
1969: Paint Your Wagon
1969: Sweet Charity
1970: On a Clear Day You Can See Forever
1970: Song of Norway
1970: Scrooge
1971: The Boy Friend
1971: Fiddler on the Roof
1971: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
1972: Cabaret
1972: Man of La Mancha
1972: 1776
1973: Godspell
1973: Jesus Christ Superstar
1974: Mame
1975: The Rocky Horror Picture Show
1975: Tommy
1977: A Little Night Music
1978: Grease
1978: The Wiz
1979: Hair
1980: Xanadu
1982: Annie
1982: The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
1982: Victor/Victoria
1986: Little Shop of Horrors
1992: Newsies
1995: The Fantasticks
1996: Evita
2002: Chicago
2004: The Phantom of the Opera
2005: The Producers
2005: Rent
2006: Dreamgirls
2007: Hairspray
2007: Sweeney Todd
2008: Mamma Mia!
2009: Nine
2012: Les Miserables
2012: Rock of Ages
Stuff not on this list: Made for tv productions such as Once Upon a Mattress and Peter Pan, made for tv remakes such as the Matthew Broderick Music Man and Glenn Close South Pacific, made for tv concert versions such as the Reba McIntyre South Pacific, made for home video productions such as Andrew Lloyd Webber videos, Disney cartoons that were later made into musicals, Elvis movies, Beach Party movies, original musical films that don't really have stage versions, non-musical films that were later made into Broadway musicals such as Footloose and Hairspray, and movies I've never heard of. Of course, we can always make more lists...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The 1952 Lovely to Look At was the Broadway musical Roberta with a name change (since Astaire and Rogers had made the first version in the 1930s).

Stop the World I Want to Get Off (1966) should definitely be in this list.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi ethan,

my 3 favorites are on your list

fiddler on the roof, king and i, singing in the rain

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've been thinking a lot lately about how much I'd like to watch my Blu-ray of the 2005 film The Producers (Lane/Broderick). But I can't. Because one doesn't exist.

It seems odd that a DVD released in 2006 hasn't ever had a complementary Blu-ray release.

Anyone got any ideas as to why?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Mike Frezon said:
I've been thinking a lot lately about how much I'd like to watch my Blu-ray of the 2005 film The Producers (Lane/Broderick). But I can't. Because one doesn't exist.

It seems odd that a DVD released in 2006 hasn't ever had a complementary Blu-ray release.

Anyone got any ideas as to why?
Region 1 And it looks and sounds fantastic.

producers.jpg

Only catch is it's Japanese.
I've had it for a couple of years now, so I'm not sure if it's still available.
Once you navigate the confusing Japanese menu and instructions it's a truly great looking Blu-ray.
Full English version with no forced subtitles or any other detractions.
It's one of my favourite Blu-ray Musicals.

I too have wondered why this hasn't had a US release.
It would have been great to release it at the same time as the recent Zero Mostel Blu-ray version.

My only explanation might be it's popularity.
I recently saw the DVD in a $5 bargain bin at a Supermarket. :(

Anyhow it's well worth looking for it.

Doug.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ugh. But shipping is nearly $20.

But...I pulled the trigger anyway.
speechless-smiley-034.gif

Merry belated Christmas to me. :biggrin:

Ullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllla!

TheProducers6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks