What's new

Music Replacements in Cheers: 10th Season (1 Viewer)

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
I had my hope up for this one, as there's absolutely no music disclaimer on the cover for the tenth season of Cheers, but unfortunately there are replacements and edits nonetheless. I've only gotten through the first disc and already found three edits.

First, Dion's The Wanderer, and the establishing shot in which it was played, was cut from Get Your Kicks On Route 666. Not something easily noticeable.

Second, Those Were the Days, sang by the cast members, has been replaced with generic music in The Norm Who Came for Dinner.

Third, The Monster Mash was cut from Bar Wars V. Much like the also cut I Fought The Law from last season, this one was vital to the scene, which involved Gary rigging Sam's jukebox, phone, and drink-dispensing-thingies to play that song. I will give Paramount credit on this one though, as the replacement "Vampire Twist" retains what makes the joke work, unlike the generic music used last season. I was disappointed anyway, but it could be worse.

There may be more on later discs, so I'll post again if I notice any more. The part that caught me most off guard was that there wasn't any disclaimer on the box. I thought studios were being more cautious about that these days...

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks

Have you checked the bottom of the box? On the complete "I Love Lucy" set released last year, that's where Paramount hid the disclaimer.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Actually prefer Vampire Twist since it's more irritating and would drive a bar staff nuts. It's only a shame they didn't play it over the final credits at the end of the episode.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
A good point. The fact that it keeps saying "DO IT" or something to that effect does make it much more irritating. I'm actually a fan of the Monster Mash, so, while I miss a favored song being played, I suppose a song I dislike fits better...

JLKINSER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Kinser
Well, at least they didn't destroy it like they did The Fugitive Season 2 Vol. 1.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm guessing the later seasons of Cheers are selling less and less so they're being more ruthless about cutting music to save money. At least we're inching closer to a complete series set, though.

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks

Of the ones I've watched so far, the episodes appear to be intact, except for a Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour featuring Tallulah Bankhead. Some lines of dialogue are missing in that one.

The disclaimer on the bottom of the box is ominous though:

"Some music has been changed for this home entertainment version. Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions."

No such disclaimer appears on the two "I Love Lucy" single season sets that I have.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

None per se, but one episode, "Lucy and the Dummy", ran short originally, so they padded it out in the network broadcast with a clip of Frank Sinatra singing the song "Adelaide" in the then-current movie of "Guys and Dolls". MGM, who owns the film, refused to allow the use of the clip. You could recreate the complete episode by stopping it and watching the sequence from a DVD of the film, then resuming the episode.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Hey, all. I've been working on a lot of stuff recently and that's why I haven't posting here a lot recently, but this thread piqued my interest.

This leads me to ask: Why does Paramount even bother to include copyrighted music in their TV shows if they have no intention of keeping it when it comes to DVD? I'm not just talking older titles here...I looked on the back of a DVD set of "Dexter", and in small print, it brings up how some episodes may be edited from their original versions.

Now, "Dexter" is a show that's still on the air and has a devoted fanbase, so why edit out the music?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I'm just glad that "Miami Vice" wasn't a Paramount show. Can you imagine how badly they would butcher THAT?

Moore Maxx

Stunt Coordinator
I've been going thru some of my favorite episodes from the 10th season, can't seem to start from the first episode and go in order.

I watched the last episode, or two parter, with Woody and Kellys wedding and what I picked up on was the missing few seconds of a song Lilith sings.

Sam has just asked her to entertain the guests and Lilith asks, "oh my god who died".

As she is heading out the swinging doors for the first time her back is to the camera and I distinctly remember her singing some lines from a broadway show. Something like "Gotta sing, Gotta dance............" or something like that.

It's only a few second but since I've seen this episode so many times and have it when it originally aired buried somewhere on VHS tape it stuck out.

What they put in its place now is silence.

When she comes back a few more times they kept her audio. One in particular is when she grabs the spoons and heads out the swinging doors singing "When your smiling.........

stewprime

Agent
Real Name
Stew

I remember the scene exactly. It was "Make 'em laugh" from Singin' In The Rain, if I remember correctly. Too bad they cut it. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks