What's new

Music Replacement In Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place (2 Viewers)

Matt_Troop

Agent
You really think alot of prople skip the theme song...? I listen to the theme song on every episode of every show I have besides MWC: S3... but then again it's just me

Brent_H

Second Unit

They've probably foreseen this and maybe that's why they want to replace as much as they can in the earlier seasons to they can maybe afford the later songs that are more integral to the storyline.

w0rd.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
There really wasn't a ton of music in the early seasons. Mainly crappy background stuff that you will never miss. Definately later on you had a ton more!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
To be quite honest, the only background song I can even RECALL from season one was "I Want Candy," played in that early scene where Brenda is trying on different clothes (was that in the pilot?)

For the rest of the series, yes, I hope they concentrate on clearing the songs that were actually integral to the story, or songs that were sung by the cast. Ancillary background songs aren't necessary, and they're usually forgettable anyway. I'm more curious to see if they'll include weird, trivial things like Jeremy Jordan's appearance in the end credits of a few episodes. Remember in the third season, Donna would put on a cd and say, "Yumm...Jeremy Jordan!" and they'd go into his shirtless little white boy rapper video while the credits played? hehehehe I think that's what killed his career right there: that Donna was into him HEHHHEHEHEE. He just came across as Vanilla Ice's little brother, anyway...

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

you go and don't buy those sets, but don't tell people who still wanna get 90210 and Melrose anyways that they're wrong, they have as much a right to their opinion as you have to yours

Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Why not start a DVD Campaign for your series the way the fans for Moonlighing did? They managed to get every piece of music cleared for their show. I have also just started a campaign for SCTV.

Moonlighting DVD Campaign
http://www.moonlightingdvd.com/

Shawn

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
People can say that 1+1=4, but that doesn't make it so. People certainly have the right to buy a dvd with music replacment, pan & scanning, syndicated episodes, voices of all the actors dubbed by the Chipmunks, colorized, etc., etc., but if they claim that what they are buying is the original show, and not an edited version, that's not an opinion, that is an incorrect statement.

The fact that you want to buy an edited version, and it's causing you some cognitive dissonance, doesn't mean that you can turn a falsehood into an opinion, except in the sense that someone can say that 1+1=4 in their opinion, and that's that.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
So if it was 'Beverly Hills 90210 ... with a Digitally "Remastered" Soundtrack' - you'd be OK with it?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

lol, can you get over yourself? Okay, we know you're the ardent perfectionist of the board in terms of having tv shows in their original form with all music included. But if 9 out of 10 Melrose or 90210 fans don't mind buying it, what hurt is it doing to YOU over them buying it. I mean, I refuse to buy pan-and-scan movies but if someone picks up a fullscreen copy, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, it's their prerogative. Melrose and 90210 would likely be unreleasable if everything could possibly be cleared for it, while both shows have their followings, I don't think the shows have a Trek-style following that would spend over $100 for a season, which likely would be the result if all music was cleared. Luckily, this is NOT a case of Miami Vice, Wonder Years or WKRP where the music is vital to the show. I am sure most of the replaced music will be inconsequential songs you could faintly hear in the background at the restaurant, similar to the replaced music on Roswell (whereas the theme song and core songs that played remained). If this is a case like Dawson's Creek, where EVERY SINGLE SONG BY AN ARTIST MORE THAN 10 PEOPLE HAVE HEARD OF is replaced, then I'll eat my words, but I'm willing to bet these will be more along the lines of Popular or Roswell, not Dawson.

You go and boycott those sets, but if a hardcore 90210 or Melrose fan is willing to put the issue aside, then guess what, they have as much of a right to wanna get it as you do about boycotting it.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Jay is right; I certainly would not be interested in paying upwards of $100 per season for this stuff. I like Spelling show, but they ain't "Lost," ya know. I have a feeling that the music replacement will be tasteful, as was Roswell or Popular. Dawson's was a disaster--it was just an example of Sony's cheapness. Popular? I didn't even notice the replacement. Roswell? Yes, I noticed, but they did a nice job of it. But I was buying the SHOWS, not an ipod full of tunes that were obscure in the first place.

To say that no dvds should be bought if they have music replacement is too much of an objectivist viewpoint. Each tv show and each dvd set needs to be looked at individually. All of us understand the money involved in keeping each and every song. We realize that if all songs were kept, the set would cost too much. But this is not Dawson's Creek: that was a shoddy, cheap release. In that particular case, the replacements and editing were underhanded and wrong. I feel that no particular thought was put into it--just release it as cheaply as possible. If any of you choose to turn up your noses at that show, then you have every right to do so.

But Paramount has been upfront about the music replacement for 90210. To punish an honest dvd release because of cost factors is unacceptable. We deserve the right to pick and choose which dvds we buy, and we are allowed a multitude of reasonings for each purchase. To snuff out the entire tv-on-dvd industry because of understandable corporate decisions is wrong and unfair.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, since this has turned into a general music replacement thread- were there any songs replaced in Sex and the City? Gilmore Girls? the upcoming Grosse Pointe set? Will and Grace? Friends? The L Word? Nip/Tuck? Or Six Feet Under? And are Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Daria being held up being released to DVD because of it? I don't know about you guys, but I'd be willing to pay more money, if we get the music intact and uncut episodes. Thanks to anyone who answers me.
-James

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm not boycotting these shows cause I don't like em. I wouldn't buy take them if they were fully intact and being given away free. And I agree with you that people have the right to buy these versions, but I have the right to point out what it is they're buying and to be saddened by the fact that people are willing to buy such adulterated versions, which only encourages the studios to continue to make them. :frowning:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

George is right: Let's all wait another 20 years for:

Melrose Place: the UN-Adulterated Version!

Claude North

Second Unit
Is it possible to set up one designated thread for discussing the issue of music replacement and syndicated cuts of episodes? I don't know about anyone else, but when I click on a thread about an altered version of a TV series, all I want to know is what alterations were made and if a specific reason was given for those alterations. I don't need to read repeated declarations of the evils of altered versions, and I find it very frustrating that just about every thread mentioning alterations to television series turns into the same debate with the same arguments from the same people.

Real Name
Thomas Stewart

First, Is it even 'upcoming' still, because it was suppose to be out over 9 months ago and Secondly, since it is from sony and announced with an $29.99 MSRP I can almost gaurentee the music replacement...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Great idea! Censoring the dvds isn't enough. Let's start censoring threads and what people are allowed to say in them. I don't like it when someone points out something true that I'd rather not hear about. :frowning:

Claude North

Second Unit

This isn't about censorship (a word that you frequently misuse). This is about being tired of your habit of hijacking threads with the same self-righteous ranting about your refusal to purchase altered versions of television series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks