What's new

Music lovers, what do you recommend? (1 Viewer)

EdNichols

Second Unit
Music is first for sound in my book. Movies, a distant second. What can I get that will send chills up my spine with imagining, accuracy, and sound stage and would work well with an NAD T762 Price range,

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Floor or bookshelf, with or w/out sub? Pair of mains correct? If you listen to primarily 2ch, spend the most on the front stage, IMO.

My first recommendation in any case, would be to take a look at GR's offerings. Since the 762 can handle a 4ohm load, the A/V-2s or Diluceos up front will sound great, but if you are looking for floorstanders, A/V-3.

josh.s

Auditioning
I second the suggestion for Magnepan. Check out their website (magnepan.com), look for a dealer in your area, and check them out in person if you're able. I have a pair of their factory direct only MMG's and I absolutely love them.

EdNichols

Second Unit
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am looking for floorstanders. I don't think a bookshelf will give me the bass I want (I have a fairly large room 16 x 20 x 9). I don't want to consider a sub to handle the bass so all of the music will need to come from these speakers. I don't want to fuss with balancing & blending. A sub will be for movies only. By the way, I would like for these to be decent looking and not to big since they will be beside an oak entertainment cabinet in my family room.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Von Schweikert LCR-15's across the front stage, and their VR-1's for the surrounds. The 15's are not floorstanders, but certainly go down low enough for music. These are very musical speakers, extremely smooth and lush, with great imaging and stage.
Highly recommended. I replaced Paradigm 40's and Studio CC for LCR-15's. I couldn't be more pleased. And they are well within your price range... based upon the dealer price I got.

Good Luck,

BOK

MartyP

Stunt Coordinator
Ed:

I would seriously consider looking for a used pair of Proac Response 1.5s. They are terrific speakers for music with bass down to 30 Hz. I used them with Plinius amplification, but I'm sure they would sound great with the NAD, too...

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I would scratch in your case Magnepan for their size[they hard to position too],and because they need a lot of power as well.
I would second VA's Mozart,also Polk's LSI 25 would be just perfect IMO, it has powerd subs and exellent mid/high and imaging soundstaging.They are 4ohm loads though.

EdNichols

Second Unit
Thanks guys. Some of these speakers I have never heard of, but that doesn't keep me from giving them a good look. I am still relatively a newbie in the audiophile realm and I am discovering that there is a whole other world out there.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I second the Onix Ref2. The Rocket 750's are also excellent speakers and they'd keep you under the $2k point. Although Magnepan's are reasonably large and can be tricky to place, I think they're also a fantastic speaker. I have an older pair of Maggies and a pair of the Rocket 750's and love them both.

glenn.arsenault

Stunt Coordinator
I would also recommend ProAc's. Although I have not listened to the NAD equipment you refer to, I have found NAD electronics to be a bit harsh.

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator
The Magnepans have a very wide soundstage with a sonic character all their own. They can sound great with as little as 75 watts per ch. On the other hand, they take up a lot of space and have low WAF. Low bass can be a bit weak for some folks- but it sure is clean! Does Martin Logan sell anything in this price range?

Don't be too hasty to write off a quality sub for music. It can be a subtle yet convincing improvement when integrated properly.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Just a couple of comments. First, bookshelfs with good response to about 60Hz is all you need to have imaging and soundstage. A good sub will complement them and, IMO, the work of integrating it to the bookshelfs pay big time because of the improved sense of space due to the better imaging of small (well constructed) speakers.

Larger speakers can image as well, but you will need to pay big bucks to have something good.

Another comment is about this "accuracy" you are looking for. For me, the "accuracy" is nothing but maybe the biggest myth in audio industry. There is not such a thing, we can have audio that sounds realistic to your ears, but thats about it.

And for this you will need to listen for speakers yourself. No matter how convincing the comments of the respective users, maybe the speakers they like are not for you. In my case, for example, only Horns are able to convince me with the sound.

Oh, and remember that there are ALWAYS compromises.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Another comment is about this "accuracy" you are looking for. For me, the "accuracy" is nothing but maybe the biggest myth in audio industry. There is not such a thing, we can have audio that sounds realistic to your ears, but thats about it
Accuracy is the goal here,meaning to reproduce the signal without any coloration,since all speakers do color the sound to a degree, so it may be unattainable,but certainly it is not a myth.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
just thought i'd chime in with a VERY strong recommendation for the Vienna Acoustics Mozarts. you will be STUNNED at how amazingly good they sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks