What's new

Murray, Lawn King, Craftsman, MTD, and other riding lawn mowers with slipping hydrostatic drives - i (1 Viewer)

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to put this out there where others may find it with a google search. It saved me a lot of money and hopefully someone else can benefit if the information is on the web to be found.

Note that many of the brands listed, and more, use a Peerless transaxle. In my case it's a Peerless # 205-024. New replacements are in the $600 range.

I have a 13 year old Lawn King (Murray) riding lawn mower with hydrostatic drive. Over the past few years, the drive would start slipping. I put on a new belt and searched for areas of adjustment, but there really isn't any. I started searching through google to find a fix, but for the most part, the answer was "the Peerless transaxle is not repairable, no replaceable parts are made." Well, if I would have settled for this answer, I would now be the proud owner of a new $3000 plus lawn mower. Am I glad I didn't settle for that answer! With a little more searching, I found that there is actually a kit made that contains two quarts of fluid, a new bellows, cover plate, bolts, and instructions. This kit costs less than $40 and is available at several places including Sears. The kit is called the VST Oil Kit. Basically the kit is to replace the transaxle fluid and provide a couple replacement parts.

What I learned is that grass and debris will build up on top of the transaxle, causing it to get hotter than it should. This breaks down the fluid and that's all it takes to start giving you problems. If you have some basic mechanical skills, you can remove the transaxle, (in my case, six bolts and three clips) drain the old fluid, and replace with new. It took me a few hours to do this, if I did it again, I could do it in an hour. My hydrostatic operates like it's new again! Absolutely no slipping. Hopefully I can get another decade out of my mower again.

privatepilot

Auditioning
Real Name
pilot
I have a problem with my peerless vst 205-024 hydro transaxle. Does anyone out there have another one of these that is also bad? I was hoping to scavange internal parts and make one working one. Before you reply that I should just change the oil, or there are no internal parts available, be aware I know this. I have done everything including see if a machine shop can fabricate the 10 little parts that I need for the hydro pump and motor. They can't. I don't want to pay that much for a replacement. Hopefully I can salvage and fix one. If anyone has one of these units and would give it up for salvage parts, please let me know at [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks