What's new

Murder, She Wrote: Complete Series 10/1/13 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Of the chief suspects, there were only two unaccounted for at the time of the murder: the mother who was rude to Jessica in the shop (not particularly good salesmanship to be rude to potential customers especially over something so petty) and her son, and since the show this season had already used a domineering mother as the killer, that left the son. He claimed self defense once he was caught, but I noticed he wasn't present at the birthday party AND there was no mention of what was going to happen to him. Not in the show's usual manner to leave strings dangling like that.

The stuff with the "surprise" birthday party was very heavy handed, too, especially the sheriff making comments while Seth was in the room. Dumb and unworthy of the character.

For me, a merely average episode.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
thirtieth floor

enjoyed it

they were giving real strong hints early on about the doctor's drinks. but usually, when they do that, it is only meant to be misleading.

so i wasnt sure how to take that.

carrie was definitely allowing steve to be flirtatious, and they both acted like it was all good friends when edward walked in.

so that made me suspicious that they may be involved in the murder to come. though of course i did not know who would be murdered at the time.

i also realized that the voice edward was hearing was probably real, which pointed to either carrie or lori, in that they seemed to match the age of the voice.

so i had different thoughts about it, but no definite direction to take it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That "mystical voice from beyond" business was, of course, fairly familiar from previous episodes (but at least they didn't use a ghostly apparition roaming around as they've done in the past). With the doctor giving him that drink and then insisting he drink it, it was clear something was up. And they made the "niece" such an uneducated bimbo about books that it was fairly obvious she was not up to anything good.When the murder victim turned on Jessica after first praising her book, I was surprised that she just huffed out of the office instead of starting right then and there to get to the bottom of why his mood swings were so violent. She mentioned mood swings in passing, but this is a man she had worked with on a lot of previous best sellers, so I would have thought she would have gone more to bat for him instead of just storming out.Merely an average episode at best for me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It was OK. That red feather was a very blatant clue (usually the show is a little more subtle about the clues), and those two guys who were VERY antagonistic toward one another at the beginning (the band leader and the graffiti artist) chilled out by the end for no good reason.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
dying game - enjoyed it

but i think my concentration may have been off, because i seem confused about it a bit, such that i might need to re-watch it.

however, there are 2 points or questions that i had

1) after wilson (i think his name) was killed, what appeared to be the killer, did a redial to see who wilson was just talking to.

that voice sounded like a disguised kate mulgrew

2) before the amalgamated guy was shot with the crossbow, there was a message like "over here", again one would think that this voice came from the killer. and it also sounded like kate mulgrew, but it certainly sounded feminine.

but the killer turned out to be a male.

and kate mulgrew did not have any part in either murder.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't like this one very much. It was written by Angela Lansbury's brother Bruce who by this time was a supervising producer on the show, but I always find his writing rather soap operaish with emotional situations too overdrawn.

I DO think that was Kate Mulgrew doing those voiceovers and I think they were specifically put there as red herrings because her voice is like NO other and they definitely threw me off when it came time to pick a murderer.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
trouble with seth

very good

never heard of Kim Johnston Ulrich, nor did she look familiar.

but her face was very high on the "pretty-list" !!

i have one complaint, but it did not affect my enjoyment.

it would have been obvious that julia was trying to get info that had nothing to do with the loan.

dont want to strain my brain, but i suspect if the writers had taken some more time, they could have set up a situation such that julia could have asked those questions in a setting where they would not have been out of place.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, all of that obvious questioning was ridiculous and naturally going to glow a big ole spotlight on her in a small town like this. Still, an OK episode.

Did you notice in Seth's box of patient files were some names of Murder She Wrote personnel as well as "P. Shaw" who was Angela Lansbury's husband (since deceased).

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
roadkill - good one

although the styrofoam was a bit too convenient

nobody would be dumb enough to accidentally leave something that big in the back of his truck.

not to mention just how it managed to stay there while the truck was moving !!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The show was OK, but the mystery's solution was rather telegraphed by the big, extended close up of that bloody spring in the truck and then the next scene the killer had a band-aid on the back of his hand. And once it was made known that the computers were junk, there was your motive all wrapped up within a couple of scenes of each other.

I also found it hard to believe that the Patrick Cassidy character (accused of the murder) wouldn't have noticed the truck had just been driven. Those engines stay hot for awhile and the big haulers certainly give off diesel fumes that linger for awhile.

I guess you knew that was Patrick Cassidy doing his own singing. He comes from a very musical family. His father Jack Cassidy was a Tony-award winner and has done dozens of movies and TV shows. Mom is Shirley Jones, Oscar-winning star of many film musicals and The Partridge Family with Patrick's half-brother David Cassidy. Teen heartthrob Shaun Cassidy is also Patrick's brother.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
never heard of patrick cassidy.

i do know david and shaun.

you refer to shaun as a teenage heartthrob - wasnt david even more of one ?

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Sorry for intruding on this private thread (which I read and enjoy every morning btw), but in 1971, it seemed like every girl in my ninth grade class could think (or talk) of nothing but David Cassidy, David Cassidy, David Cassidy. Shaun's heyday came later but I don't think it came close to David's, whose appeal largely escaped me.

Back to the Matt and jimmy Show! (I'm still back in Season Four).

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
https://www.google.com/search?q=david+cassidy&client=firefox-a&hs=69R&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QzLyU42YHYGEogSMx4D4BA&ved=0CJkBEIke&biw=1024&bih=639#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=joDNlzwOzs2w1M%253A%3BYt0vvGrlJJkCHM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F2.bp.blogspot.com%252F-BhqEz6q5ps4%252FTzL2MF0alEI%252FAAAAAAAAANg%252FGphUWkSMseE%252Fs1600%252FDavid%252BCassidy.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fchaperoneparty.blogspot.com%252F2012%252F02%252Fdavid-cassidy-these-used-to-be-my-teeth.html%3B627%3B768

https://www.google.com/search?q=shaun+cassidy&client=firefox-a&hs=68R&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BTLyU_6CC8G8oQTp4oDoDw&ved=0CJcBEIke&biw=1024&bih=639#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=xFWMGUCy2KLRXM%253A%3Bo17NyWbdfFp1EM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn.instructables.com%252FFE8%252FU8XH%252FGC4G0PAM%252FFE8U8XHGC4G0PAM.MEDIUM.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.instructables.com%252Fid%252Fcommunicate-with-shaun-cassidy%252Fstep4%252Fshaun-cassidys-direct-contact-information%252F%3B295%3B400

i recall david much more cuz of the partridge family.

when i look at both guys, i think shaun has nicer features, and looks a bit more manly. david has more of an effeminate look.

but i can see why they both appealed to teenage girls - they had that same sort of innocent look like ricky nelson did.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ricky+nelson&client=firefox-a&hs=7Z7&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kjPyU-qKM4-gogSCvYCQBA&ved=0CJsBEIke#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=izu3-HoHjNzLGM%253A%3BxcajwXaw6dX4YM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%252Fen%252F8%252F84%252F1958_Ricky_Nelson_album.JPG%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252FRicky_Nelson_%28album%29%3B300%3B288

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Oh, yes, David was much more popular.

Rob, though it may seem to be, it's certainly not a private thread. We'd love more participation, and I'll be glad to discuss any episodes you find worthy of discussion in season four. I LOVED those early seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks