What's new

Muppet Show Update! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I GOT IT!
It was waiting on my doorstep tonight when I got home, about 10 minutes ahead of the rain. The box looked a tad beat up and ready to split open, but I tested all 10 discs (1 song or skit each), and they all worked fine.
Yes, my disc 8 has the list of stars from disc 9 on it. I don't believe they actually put the wrong entire label on it, just that the "dot" which lists the 3 featured stars on that disc list's the wrong set of stars. Because the coloring is different, and matches the coloring on the insert of the keepcase. Hmmmmm...
And, yes, the "VHS" text is in the tiny print on the back, too. :)
Otherwise, all is well. I'm happy, I have my Muppets. And my son loved seeing Kermit! Over the Labor Day weekend we'll delve deeply into these!
For anyone interested, here's the breakdown by DVD of the Disc #, Episode (A, B, or C) on each disc, the episode's official production #, the year the episode first aired, and the guest star(s).
  • 1A(ep. #2.14) 1977 Elton John
  • 1B(ep. #2.17) 1977 Julie Andrews
  • 1C(ep. #5.1) 1980 Gene Kelly
  • 2A(ep. #4.17)1979 Anthony Daniels/Mark Hamill/Peter Mayhew (II)
  • 2B(ep. #5.11)1980 Paul Simon (I)
  • 2C(ep. #3.11) 1978 Raquel Welch
  • 3A(ep. #3.14) 1978 Harry Belafonte
  • 3B(ep. #5.23)1980 Linda Ronstadt
  • 3C(ep. #4.1) 1979 John Denver
  • 4A(ep. #2.19) 1977 Peter Sellers
  • 4B(ep. #2.23) 1977 John Cleese
  • 4C(ep. #4.7) 1979 Dudley Moore
  • 5A(ep. #3.7) 1978 Alice Cooper
  • 5B(ep. #1.19) 1976 Vincent Price
  • 5C(ep. #5.18)1980 Marty Feldman
  • 6A(ep. #2.8) 1977 Steve Martin
  • 6B(ep. #5.15)1980 Carol Burnett
  • 6C(ep. #3.4) 1978 Gilda Radner
  • 7A(ep. #2.10) 1977 George Burns
  • 7B(ep. #2.11) 1977 Dom DeLuise
  • 7C(ep. #2.21) 1977 Bob Hope
  • 8A(ep. #4.24)1979 Diana Ross
  • 8B(ep. #5.6) 1980 Brooke Shields
  • 8C(ep. #2.13) 1977 Rudolf Nureyev
  • 9A(ep. #5.5) 1980 James Coburn
  • 9B(ep. #3.20) 1978 Sylvester Stallone
  • 9C(ep. #5.9) 1980 Debbie Harry
  • 10A(ep. #5.24)1980 Roger Moore
  • 10B(ep. #2.7) 1977 Edgar Bergen
  • 10C(ep. #3.16) 1978 Danny Kaye
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Is the original ITC opening logo on these episodes (with the swirling colors, and a space background)?? Also, I read on a Muppets website that the opening credits of the first season were different, with different characters opening the show (i.e. a trio of girl singers, etc.)

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
No Logo. Mine showed up on the doorstep today. Watch the extras, especially the volume with John Denver/Linda Rondstat & Harry Belafonte on it.
The muppets are each auditioning for 'Streetcar' at the 'Stella' scene
Priceless....just priceless, I was laughing so hard I was crying.

Jeff Graebner

Auditioning
Got my set yesterday. While the menu interface and packaging is not ideal and the audio/video quality is pretty reflective of the time the show was made, none of that really matters much once you actually are watching Mark Hamill gargling Gershwin on DVD... :)
So far, I only watched the "Star Wars" and Paul Simon episodes (haven't even unwrapped any of the other discs), but I thoroughly enjoyed watching both. As far as the extras on that disc, the movie bit includes an hilarious segement of the various Muppet characters auditioning for the role of Yoda. While it is funny seeing Kermit or Pepe the Prawn auditioning for that role, it is absolutely hilarious to see Fozzie Bear and Animal auditioning, once you stop to think about it for a few seconds!
I definitely do hope that they release more of these. As great as this first set is, there are still some of my favorite episodes that haven't yet been released. This is one series I would almost certainly purchase in its entirety, even if it does take 40 discs to get them all.
By the way, for those that are concerned about the financial hit, there is another option besides using the subscription deal, which ends up costing around $100 more than buying them all at once. If you are using a credit card for an order over $100, they offer the option of having them split the charge over 4 monthly payments for no additional charge.
For the 10-disc set ordered via UPS 2nd day air, they charge your card $52.74 at the time that the order is shipped (shipping is added to the first charge) and then $43.75/month for the next 3 months. That makes the deal quite a bit more affordable and if you pay off the balance on your credit card each month, it doesn't cost any extra. You do have to specifically ask for this arrangement, though, or be sure to check the "installment payment" checkbox when ordering online.
-Jeff

Jimmy M

Second Unit
OK, I just went to order the 10 disc set (now that there is a good coupon code). When I clicked on the "add to cart" button, I was given a new screen stating:
quote: The product you tried to add to you cart is no longer available.
The product may be available in another format, and you can use your back button to return to the product's page.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
[/quote]
What's up with this? Anyone have any information on this? (It is late and I don't feel like calling the toll free number when I go off-line...
sleep.gif
)
Jimmy!
------------------
"The way I live, kids would be redundant." - JMS
[Edited last by Jimmy M on August 28, 2001 at 11:15 PM]
[Edited last by Jimmy M on August 28, 2001 at 11:39 PM]

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, for those that are concerned about the financial hit, there is another option besides using the subscription deal, which ends up costing around $100 more than buying them all at once. If you are using a credit card for an order over $100, they offer the option of having them split the charge over 4 monthly payments for no additional charge.
For the 10-disc set ordered via UPS 2nd day air, they charge your card $52.74 at the time that the order is shipped (shipping is added to the first charge) and then $43.75/month for the next 3 months. That makes the deal quite a bit more affordable and if you pay off the balance on your credit card each month, it doesn't cost any extra. You do have to specifically ask for this arrangement, though, or be sure to check the "installment payment" checkbox when ordering online.
I'm sorry Jeff, I'm not sure I understand you. Why would the installment cost $100 more than buying them all at once, especially if they do it free ? Sorry, I may just be dense this morning but I don't understand this point at all.
confused.gif

Also, It doesn't appear that your figures utilize any of the coupons that are floating around(there are at least two 20% off coupons floating around, and also that saver club thing that takes an additional 10%), that takes the final price down to around $138-143. That would essentially be @ $38/month.
Robyn

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
My math, the installment plan comes to 183.99, which is exactly what they charge (if you didn't know of the coupons) when you just outright pay for it....
------------------

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
With the huge demand these DVDs are getting I would not be surprised if Warner decided to released a better special edition set with all the extras.
Right now, most of us are getting ready for the bomardment of big releases for the next upcoming months (especially October!). I speak for myself, but I have become a bit more selective on what I order. Although I love the Muppets to death, this "set" of sorts seems cool and all but at the same time just screams the "Ultimate Edition" type of re-release deal we see more and more often.
3 episodes per disc seems like a low amount of episodes for a disc with no special features. And the packaging sounds like it was rushed.
I am hesitant on this one so I'll pass up. May be it's the fact that I have about $600 worth of preorders already (if I count the $250 Macross set from Animeigo) or may be it's just that I am tired of buying multiple editions of something after less than a year or two.
Regardless, if you want the Muppets now and don't care about a special edition later on (and you have the $$$ to spend) this is a good deal with the "AMEXDS" coupon. It was also mentioned on DVD talk that you get a credit for joining the Time Life club for $10 a year membership. That knocks off the price a bit more.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Warner? Special Editions of the Muppet Show?
We can't even get them to do the right thing with South Park? Why would we wait for them to do something with the Muppet Show? If anything they'd just release a few "best of" discs with themes. At least with Time Life we stand a chance of getting them all on disc if we're patient.
-dave

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
There are some extras on the disks. Very funny ones too. Seeing the muppets audition for 'Streetcar' and watching Beaker attempt to scream 'Stelllaa' was worth the entire 10 disc set
(it's in the extras on the Harry Belafonte/Linda Rondstat/John Denver disk)
Or seeing the muppets audition for Yoda too on the Mark Hamil disk. And also seeing something star wars related that was soooo corny to remind you of the hoopla surrounding star wars when we (or, at least I) were kids.
I only have $870 + of preorders till the end of the year, so yes, I do buy DVDs very often. I think it was worth the $186 I paid. Introducing a new generation (my brother & sister's kids) to The Muppet Show is worth it too.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
I just e-mailed Paul Champagne, the guy who does those cool boxes for sets about these discs. He may look into creating boxes for the sets.
Link Removed
robyn
[Edited last by Robyn Young on August 29, 2001 at 02:12 PM]

Jeff Graebner

Auditioning
I'm sorry Jeff, I'm not sure I understand you. Why would the installment cost $100 more than buying them all at once, especially if they do it free ? Sorry, I may just be dense this morning but I don't understand this point at all.
My apologies if I kind of shifted subjects there without being entirely clear about it. The installment plan costs the exact same as if you pay for the order all at once. Basically, I was recommending using it. :)
The plan that costs around $100 more is the >subscription< plan. That is the deal where you purchase the first disc for $9.99 and then they send you another disc each month for $24.99. Since it costs $3.99 per disc for shipping, the total cost for all 10 discs by that plan is $274.80. With standard shipping (and no coupons), the complete set is $178.99.
The point I was clumsily trying to make is that the subscription plan might sound like a good choice for someone that wants the discs but doesn't want to spend the price of the whole set all at once, but the installment plan is actually a >much< better deal.
As an added note, I didn't factor the coupons into my original post mainly because I hadn't heard about them until after I had already received my order. I would imagine that they would make the installment plan an even better option for those on a tighter budget.
-Jeff

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
That they do.... (coupons, that is)
Love this set... can't wait for the next!
Now, what I really want is the Muppet Christmas Carol :) .
Jim
------------------
[email protected]
Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
subscription< plan. That is the deal where you purchase the first disc for $9.99 and then they send you another disc each month for $24.99. Since it costs $3.99 per disc for shipping, the total cost for all 10 discs by that plan is $274.80. With standard shipping (and no coupons), the complete set is $178.99.
Gotcha!
:)
robyn

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey! There's Easter Eggs on these puppies!
I just sent the following info to DVDReview's Easter Egg page:
Time-Life has made available a 10-volume set of "The Best of the Muppet Show - 25th Anniversary Edition". Each of the 10 volumes contains 3 complete episodes (in no particular order). The DVD versions of each edition ship in keepcases, and includes bonus materials such as Deleted Scenes, Concept Sketches, "Muppetisms", and "Muppet Movie Mania" skits.
Each DVD also has an Easter Egg! On the main menu, after the curtain opens you will see Animal bounce down on the upper left corner of the screen. Move the cursor up until Animal is highlighted, and press Enter. This will reveal a fun "Did You Know?" fact about one of the shows on the disc you are watching. For example, Volume 9 (pictured) has episodes with Guest Stars James Coburn, Sylvester Stallone, and Debbie Harry ("Blondie"). The "Did You Know?" fact on this volume discusses the inclusion of the Sylvester Stallone introduction in the film Rocky III, but with the name over-dubbed to say "Rocky Balboa" instead.
Frankly, I'm shocked that noone else discovered this before me. I actually am not that much into EE's, and am surprised that I actually figured one out ('course, this one was pretty easy...and quite accidental!).
biggrin.gif

Enjoy!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Whoops! Now that I go back and re-read the entire thread, I see that thread originator Jeff Kleist mentions the Easter Egg in a post on the 2nd page!
My deepest apologies, Jeff...I simply missed that you had brought this up. Can you forgive me?
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

[Edited last by David Lambert on August 29, 2001 at 08:32 PM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Seeing the muppets audition for 'Streetcar' and watching Beaker attempt to scream 'Stelllaa' was worth the entire 10 disc set
laugh.gif
Genius!
HTF member Neil N is graciously helping me get this set. It's on it's way to me right now so I'd just like to publicly put a shout out to Neil here! Cheers!
Dan (UK)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No. Seeing Raquel Welch in that outfit with the spider was worth the price!
wink.gif
DVD lets you freeze-frame it when she kicks high, too!
Oh, and those of us with Disc 2 in the set can also claim to have the first legitamate appearance of Luke Skywalker, C3P0, R2D2, and Chewbacca on DVD! A Star Wars first!!! :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks